The Ultimate NorthWestern Big Game Rifle

Keep the 30-06 and spend the money on a trainer rifle, something that you can send 1000's of rounds down range and learn as much as you can. Put the same scope you'd put on a larger rifle. If you aren't confident past 400 yards, a larger caliber won't get you to 700.
100% agree.
Put money into a trainer rifle. Then start dry fire practicing from realistic positions, like you’d find yourself in while hunting. Followed by shooting from those same positions, using a trainer rifle, to verify accuracy/precision. From my perspective, shooting 20-50 rounds a year, isn’t going to increase your ability with a rifle much at all. However, dry firing and shooting 1,000’s of rounds will teach you a lot about getting in/out of shooting positions, tighten up your wobble zone and will develop marksmanship.

I am currently looking into buying and building a new long range setup.
I will not be reloading for at least the next 4-5 years.
I can semi-dope wind and have an accurate range finder.

I will be shooting a 28 Nosler or a 300 Win Mag with a 24-26” barrel, AERO Precision PRS30 muzzle brake (eventually suppressor instead of muzzle brake) and I will be shooting 165+ grain bullets regardless of caliber. Scope is going to be either the new Vortex Venom or a LEUPOLD VX3 w/ bubble level. Rifles I am currently looking at are the Browning LR Max, Bergara Wilderness Terrain or HMR. Preferred barrel/action is either cerakoted or stainless steel due to inclimate weather exposure (it’s either snowing/raining sideways and 15-40 or 50-65 and sunny from October-mid November up here).

The issue I am running into is that I am inexperienced past 400 yards. I currently shoot a Browning X-Bolt 30-06 and I am competent/consistent to 400 yards with it but adding the range and horsepower of a new cartridge still requires a good shooter and a solid rifle platform to be useful.

I hunt canyon country in Washington state where shots 600-700 on big body muleys and both cow and bull elk are more common than not. What am I missing on this setup to be successful at these ranges or am I overbuilding/overthinking for what I need?

I just don’t want to spend the cash to get into a $1000-$1500 rifle plus scope and be under gunned or be wishing had things in the field. Training with the setup is key but suggestions on different calibers, rifle manufacturers, rings, factory loads, or tips/tricks of the long game trade would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance.
I’m confused - in one post you say you’re inexperienced past 400 yards, and in another you say your max range is 700 yards - you obviously don’t (currently)have the skill to shoot beyond 400, how do you know what your max range is? Your max range should be when you can hit an 8” target 100% of the time from a field position in whatever wind is present(because we all know the field isn’t summer time with zero wind and a nice cushy pad with front and rear bags).

To accomplish this means you’re gonna need to spend a hell of a lot of money on ammo shooting beyond 400 yards.

My two cents, if it were me - I’d upgrade the scope on your current rifle and run it instead of building/buying something else. The 30-06 should get you to 600 easy on animals. Take the money you’re gonna spend on a new rifle and buy a NICE scope and a shitload of ammo and components. While you’re at it, go ahead and buy the stuff to reload too. It’s a whole lot easier to load consistent ammo vs. finding factory that’s consistent enough for longer range work. Don’t get me wrong, it’s out there but it’s expensive as shit and good luck finding it right now. You can at least find powder, primers, brass and bullets occasionally. The brass for 30-06 is usually fairly plentiful

Consider having your rifle threaded for a brake/suppressor(if it isn’t already) because let’s be honest - shooting a hard kicking rifle isn’t fun and you’re gonna need to want to shoot it to build your skill. A brake will also help you with spotting your own shots and keeping on target through recoil which is pretty damn important.

This isn’t to dissuade you from wanting to take up learning to shoot long range - just know it’s not inexpensive. Loading your own ammo, having a consistent repeatable scope(if it’s made in China it isn’t any of the above), being able to spot your own shots through recoil, and spending 20-50+ primers at a sitting is pretty much bread and butter.

Also a chronograph goes along with buying the stuff to reload.