The Ultimate Packmule

OP
Pocoloco

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
I've worked for land management agencies and I would not take the manufacturers word for what's legal. I had a archery shop in Southern Nevada trying to convince me that e-bikes were legal in the wilderness where you can't even ride a bicycle, because they sold them.
As per current Forest Service policy if it has wheels and a motor it's considered a motorized vehicle, just so you know. That being said it should be on a motorized trail at all times to be legal.
Department of interior agencies such as the BLM do have different directives on electric motorized vehicles.

And as for panties in a bunch yeah everything is getting easier and easier to do and therefore there's less and less opportunity for hunters. Some of us care deeply about maintaining some of the challenge and hunting and preserving the opportunity through it. If everybody is going to have a motor pull them up the hill and shoot a thousand yards there's going to be less and less tags just the way it is.

Having to pack a heavy load is part of the hunting process and a limiting factor. If it's that good a spot get/rent some pack goats and a pickup truck vs off trail on a motorized piece of equipment.
I did my own research and I am 100% that where I use it, it is legal… but this forum is full of Karens, like yourself who feel compelled to tell me what to do and that I have to carry it on my back or a horse or a llama to be a real man. As I said multiple times above do your own research to determine if it is legal where you hunt. This forum is as bad as Facebook, I guess what can you expect when you live in a world full of aholes typing from the safety of their dark room. My first and likely my last thread, Dealing with aholes like ur self isn’t worth it

OP
Pocoloco

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
That thing is pretty cool. What does it weigh empty? Does it operate across streams?
I would guess around 40-50 pounds. It will cross a stream, if not too deep. It stays in the jeep until we have animal down, then we breakdown, hang meat and return next morning to pack out.

gbflyer

WKR
I would guess around 40-50 pounds. It will cross a stream, if not too deep. It stays in the jeep until we have animal down, then we breakdown, hang meat and return next morning to pack out.

Thanks for the info. It’s a good group here. Don’t get discouraged.

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
I've worked for land management agencies and I would not take the manufacturers word for what's legal. I had a archery shop in Southern Nevada trying to convince me that e-bikes were legal in the wilderness where you can't even ride a bicycle, because they sold them.
As per current Forest Service policy if it has wheels and a motor it's considered a motorized vehicle, just so you know. That being said it should be on a motorized trail at all times to be legal.
Department of interior agencies such as the BLM do have different directives on electric motorized vehicles.

And as for panties in a bunch yeah everything is getting easier and easier to do and therefore there's less and less opportunity for hunters. Some of us care deeply about maintaining some of the challenge and hunting and preserving the opportunity through it. If everybody is going to have a motor pull them up the hill and shoot a thousand yards there's going to be less and less tags just the way it is.

Having to pack a heavy load is part of the hunting process and a limiting factor. If it's that good a spot get/rent some pack goats and a pickup truck vs off trail on a motorized piece of equipment.

The OP is laughable. His argument is basically "I can use in e-bike where they are not allowed because I am not sitting on it". WTF? The extent some lazy asses will go. Reminds me of all the dudes riding on closed roads with their atvs because there was no sign.

BTW I own an ATV, I own an E-Bike and I own Mt Bikes. They are all great when you use them where they are allowed. Not bashing any of them, but when people start using them where they are not we all pay the price.

How about the OP post a letter from the forest manger where he is using it stating that it's ok? That would go a long way in clearing this up. I'm a firm believer in stating facts, so if he can produce something factual from an actual federal agency that contradicts all their other e-bike regulations then we would all benefit from that knowledge. Some email from a company trying to sell a product is about as credible as Biden saying he's not responsible for any of the current shit! :)

280Ackley

WKR
@Pocoloco I feel your pain. I am done starting posts also. I will still reply and try to help others out but I won’t start a thread again in the foreseeable future. There will always be know it alls like @elkocd who can’t just let things go. While I question the legality of your contraption on some trails, I am not going to call you out about it. If it’s illegal, you will have to pay the ticket not me. This forum has a lot of good to offer but the trolls definitely have gotten a lot worse lately. Hopefully @robby denning will take care of some of them.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
OP, you opened the discussion and some decent questions were asked on the legality. don’t be surprised if people challenge something that’s not clear. If it’s legal under current rules, pack away!

@elkocd enough already. You asked a fair question but when you didn’t get the answer you wanted…. it’s a little creepy you’re researching other threads from OP to keep the argument going. You’re not the cops. If he’s breaking the law, he’ll pay the price. As you can see, when people just keep hacking away, the threads descend into a fight.

Make your point and move on. That’s the best policy.

Jethro

WKR
OP, you opened the discussion and some decent questions were asked on the legality. don’t be surprised if people challenge something that’s not clear. If it’s legal under current rules, pack away!

@elkocd enough already. You asked a fair question but when you didn’t get the answer you wanted…. it’s a little creepy you’re researching other threads from OP to keep the argument going. You’re not the cops. If he’s breaking the law, he’ll pay the price. As you can see, when people just keep hacking away, the threads descend into a fight.

Make your point and move on. That’s the best policy.
Handled that nicely with both parties.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
For those getting their panties in a bunch about some other dude who might be breaking the law, from the manufacture, but do your own research:

Where can I take the e-Pack Wheel?

Many public land areas we have found no restrictions on the use of a system like this. The e-Pack Wheel is not a vehicle that carries you like an e-bike would and the e-Pack Wheel is very quiet. We have been able to get permission to use the system on public land that has "no motorized vehicle" restrictions because it is quiet and you still have to hike yourself. We feel the e-Pack Wheel falls under "No Motorized Equipment" restrictions but not under "No Motorized Vehicles." If in doubt please check with your local authorities over the property you wish to use this in.

Just trying to point something important out here, the manufacture is most likely full of shit and just trying to profit off giving false advise. Show me how you can get permission from USFS for using a motorized vehicle in a non motorized area and I will gladly admit wrong.

The reason these issues of electric bikes/carries/etc are important to stay ahead of should be obvious to everyone.

bisblue

WKR
I did my own research and I am 100% that where I use it, it is legal… but this forum is full of Karens, like yourself who feel compelled to tell me what to do and that I have to carry it on my back or a horse or a llama to be a real man. As I said multiple times above do your own research to determine if it is legal where you hunt. This forum is as bad as Facebook, I guess what can you expect when you live in a world full of aholes typing from the safety of their dark room. My first and likely my last thread, Dealing with aholes like ur self isn’t worth it
Did that involve calling the land management agency in charge of the public land you hunt on? I'd put $100 bucks on it not being legal off trail.

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
This is one I built, but is not motorized. It can haul a decent load, but without the electric motor assist it is a bear going up grades with a full load. Our plan was to backpack the meat to a main trail, then load it on the cart where it was an all down hill grade for the last few miles back to the trailhead. Unfortunately we have not had a chance to use it for meat, just packing camp in and out.

Attachments

• 2ndwheel.jpg
    2ndwheel.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 113
  • Packwheel.jpg
    Packwheel.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 114

lang

Lil-Rokslider
CYA, so I've had a few differing answers when talking to F&G and USFS and have had it happen so many times on all sorts of subjects that I feel the need to document where your info comes from so if there is an issue in the future you have a name that gave you that info. Lots of grey areas in our realm that each officer can interpret in their own way. So if you get "that" officer you can show that you've done your do diligence!

DEFINITION OF A VEHICLE FROM OXFORD DICTIONARY: A thing used for transporting people or goods, especially on land, such as a car, truck, or cart.

It seems like something that could come in handy for some guys in some places. Sounds like the OP has a spot where it comes in pretty handy!

I met the inventor of the pack wheel on an elk hunt in the Wasatch mountains of Utah around 2012. He was a super nice guy, fun to talk to. He was elk hunting by himself, and had that original non motorized pack wheel strapped to his pack while he was hunting each day! My buddy and I were pretty shocked he carried that thing around with him each day, instead of just hiking a few miles back to the rig if he killed something. There used to be a photo on his website of me and my buddy way above him on a knife ride as the sun was setting. We ended up running into him the day after he took the photo and chatting with him.