The value of custom stocks

I finally understand why some of you guys are willing to shell out $300, 400 or even more for a quality custom stock.

After shooting my Howa with the Bansner (LAW) "Alpine" stock for a while, I can't believe the difference it makes. Fits me like a glove, looks and handles great, and best of all, the recoil feels like 2/3 as much as it did on the original stock.

The other day at the range, I shot the exact same loads out of my Tikka T3 with the factory plastic stock, a Savage LWH with the LWH walnut stock, and my Howa Alpine with the Bansner/LAW stock. I actually like all three stocks, and all the rifles weigh within 4 oz. of each other. BUT, the felt recoil from the Howa was so much less. Of the three, the Tikka (with the hockey puck factory pad) was by far the worst, followed by the Savage, then way behind was the Howa. I mean, it felt like a .243 compared to the Tikka which felt like a .308.

Anyway, I'm a believer now. It makes a huge difference!

Rob5589

WKR
Absolutely. Far too many variables to expect one stock to fit everyone.

Just fyi, a Limbsaver pad makes a significant improvement over the Tikka pad.

Rich M

WKR
Thanks for the post.

Was looking at Boyds yesterday, wondering if wood stock would be an improvement over the tupperware on my Rem 770 rifle. They offer adjustable cheek piece and a mag-pul/savage 12 like stock too.

If it would help tighten up my groups from 1.0 to 0.9 would be worth it... Talking about $215 for that.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Absolutely. Far too many variables to expect one stock to fit everyone.

Just fyi, a Limbsaver pad makes a significant improvement over the Tikka pad.
Yea, when I had a Tikka 30-06, the first thing I did was put a limbsaver on it. It almost made 180 grainers tolerable in that 6 1/4 lb. rifle.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Thanks for the post.

Was looking at Boyds yesterday, wondering if wood stock would be an improvement over the tupperware on my Rem 770 rifle. They offer adjustable cheek piece and a mag-pul/savage 12 like stock too.

If it would help tighten up my groups from 1.0 to 0.9 would be worth it... Talking about $215 for that.
I've owned four Boyd's stocks, and although they are a very good value, I've always had to put quite a bit of work into them to make them fit me halfway decent, and for all the metal to clear the way it should. But if you're any kind of handy with a wood file/rasp and sandpaper, it's not hard to do.

If you want the added weight, they are great. If not, you can do what I did with a couple of mine and trim a few inches off the forend and then hollow out the butt stock to remove about 6 oz. from the stock. It will also help the rifle balance a little better.

The great thing about the Boyd's laminates is that you can finish them with sandpaper and oil and they look good, and if you don't like what you have, work on them some more and then sand and oil them again.

Rich M

WKR
Excellent information! You've been a treasure trove of help to me. Thanks.

Been thinking about what I'm doing. Asking a $250 rifle/scope combo with nonreplaceable barrel to shoot 1/2 inch and 500 yards. It pretty much finally settled in as a "what's in your head, boy" kind of moment.

I can do the wood work/fine fitting but maybe get a better gun before start customizing. Seems smarter and better.