The worst game or fish you've eaten

KurtR

WKR
a big bullhead out of a stock damn in july. My dad told me if he cleaned it i was eating it all. I could have shoveled dirt and it would have tasted better. I sat and had to eat it all lesson learned. waterfowl is still my favorite meat sans mergansers which i was always told dont waste the shot on.

The real question to me it will you continue to hunt an animal if you find the meat inedible?

As with most wild game the way it is handled post kill and prepared is most important to the taste.

Bear meat always seems to get a bad rap but I think its pretty tasty.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Ya, the Icelandic Hakarl is ok.......if you like eating and smelling ammonia. But my question has always been........if the fresh meat is poisonous, how on earth did they figure this out and then their solution was to bury it for months to make it edible????

Their Brennivin that they drink with it is pretty nasty too. They call it "Black Death", it's fermented from caraway seeds and tastes like it.

But I don't know about the worst. Even Thresher shark is pretty nasty without the ammonia.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Ya, the Icelandic Hakarl is ok.......if you like eating and smelling ammonia. But my question has always been........if the fresh meat is poisonous, how on earth did they figure this out and then their solution was to bury it for months to make it edible????

I was thinking the same thing Mike!
After watching that vid.....I have zero desire to be within 100yds of it.

ncstewart

WKR
Merganser and snow geese are a tie for me. I don't mind Canadians but snows are rough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDGuy

WKR
Goose.....I tried preparing it 6 ways to Sunday and it never tasted like anything other than warm turtle shit.

Key with goose is either making it into jerky, smoker, or slow cooking with a lot of gravy and potatoes haha

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
After watching that vid.....I have zero desire to be within 100yds of it.

Aaaaaa....it's not that bad. But it's really chewy, like chewing on a piece of rubber. All the while it's like those ammonia juices are squishing out of it on every bite. There.......does it sound better now? Heck, my wife even ate it.

Key with goose is either making it into jerky, smoker, or slow cooking with a lot of gravy and potatoes haha

I had a buddy in college that used to make a goose chili that was phenomenal.

Murdy

WKR

The key to goose is having an old, Czech, immigrant Grandmother to cook it for you and serve it with dumplings and sauerkraut.

I'm surprised pronghorn hasn't been mentioned the way people complain about it on here sometimes.

Goose sausage is pretty good. Just make sure you get all the BBs out before running it through the grinder....whoops! Duck is good when prepared right. A big fat northern greenhead in late November is delicious when breasted and pan fried in a little butter and onions.

"goose" covers a huge range. Here in the Chico Ca area we shoot a ton of white fronts (speckle bellies) and they are about as good eating game animal there is. I agree snow goose sucks. I wont even waste a shell shooting at them. usually once or twice a year around xmas time i will get invited to a party and I will show up with a huge plate of goose kabobs made with specks and they get devoured.

for me though the worst is Tilapia. I really do not understand how people eat that crap. i also agree that there merganser (and most other diving ducks) are not table worthy. would never shoot one because of that.

MtnMuley

WKR
Piss laiden venison. If you can't figure out how to keep the contents of the piss bag off your meat, don't serve it to anybody and expect them not to spit it back up.

I've only had caribou a few times and thought is was pretty dang good. For me, largemouth bass taste like pond scum and spotted seal tastes like an unpleasant cross between red meat and rotten fish.

VernAK

WKR
So much of wild game taste is timing and preparation.
An August caribou is usually quite good while an October bull often will be refused by a dog!......Rut!
Bull moose is much the same.......they ingest great amounts of cow urine.....uric acid usually makes the liver putrid also.
Lutefisk is seldom prepared by knowing cooks. There should be no or minimal odor and it should be flaky.....if you are getting smelly fish jello, you have screwed up.
Mergansers are cherished by local natives as trapping bait.......the foul fowl is fit only for lynx, martin and wolverine.

Rob T

FNG
Doves. Flying liver. My mom swore she could cook it perfectly. I remember ordering lots of pizza on dove nights.

KJH

WKR
Shoveler ducks are by far the worst, followed closely by early spring black bears. Never been able to make either edible.

I might be the odd one out here, but Caribou and geese are two my families staples...