The worst kind of FNG...

NY16ga

FNG
...not only am I east of the Mississippi, I live in a city! I've lived in NYC for many years but grew up in the country/swamp in south Florida. I hunt and fish mostly in upstate NY and in FL sometimes, usually try to squeeze in an annual bird hunting trip somewhere (ND, MT, KS, WI, ME) too. My German Wirehair does NOT appreciate me going to woods without her so I don't hunt much big game, with the exception of the occasional unlucky hog when I'm down in FL to see family. Now that she's getting older though I'm starting to tinker with rifles and take note of rubs and scrapes when I'm out bird hunting, hoping to build up to some western hunts. Excited to learn from y'all, especially when it comes to rifles and optics. Hopefully I can contribute a little to the forum too, I've definitely made most of the bird hunting, dog training, and turkey hunting mistakes one can make!

R

Real_fatlander

I’ll trade you some of my grouse info for your elk and deer observations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
NY16ga

NY16ga

FNG
I'm always interested in grouse info! (really any upland birds, except maybe pheasants) Not sure I have much to trade though unless you're talking NY whitetails or FL hogs...

OP
NY16ga

NY16ga

FNG
Thanks, everyone! Already benefiting from the experience of this group (especially related to optics where I do NOT have much experience)

TheGreek

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome from another city dweller, Chicago that is. I used to spend a fair amount of time in Brooklyn with friends and I still have family in Long Island and Manhattan. Don’t let the city define you, with the right attitude, you can still get out and experience the outdoors, both near and far.

OP
NY16ga

NY16ga

FNG
Yep, I've learned that I still like living here but only if I get out on a regular basis. Of course, these past couple weeks the population density concerns me more than usual!

Welcome! But the WORST kind of FNG is the one that thinks he knows everything. I'm in Colorado, let me know if there is anything I can help with.

OP
NY16ga

NY16ga

FNG
Haha! Yeah, always some of that on any forum. I'll definitely reach out about CO at some point, been considering a blue grouse hunt for awhile now.

Welcome from Arizona fellow wingshooter!! If you get out to AZ chasing quail give me a call.

Attachments

• 27091588-3B21-464D-BB3E-A819DB7794FB.jpeg
    27091588-3B21-464D-BB3E-A819DB7794FB.jpeg
    394.4 KB · Views: 10
  • ED4CFE1D-42C5-47AC-BE5B-A03F3E942E7A.jpeg
    ED4CFE1D-42C5-47AC-BE5B-A03F3E942E7A.jpeg
    191.1 KB · Views: 10
OP
NY16ga

NY16ga

FNG
Welcome from Arizona fellow wingshooter!! If you get out to AZ chasing quail give me a call.

Oh, now you got my attention! I've been thinking about a quail hunt in AZ or NM for awhile now. The only quail I've hunted are bobwhites so I've been pining over chasing Mearns or desert quail one of these days. Hopefully travel will get a little easier by the Fall!

OP
NY16ga

NY16ga

FNG
Hello from a NE Florida "cracker."

Hello! It always makes me happy when someone is familiar with the term "cracker" in the Florida context. I grew up in the north part of Palm Beach County (Jupiter) when it was still mostly rural. We hunted a lot west of Melbourne too, out near the big Mormon ranches. Things have definitely changed down there but it's been nice to see some of the private land in the hands of the state now with pretty committed restoration projects underway. Better than another golf course or strip mall. Seems like there's way more ducks now than when I was a kid and the quail are coming back a little in some spots.

Hello! It always makes me happy when someone is familiar with the term "cracker" in the Florida context. I grew up in the north part of Palm Beach County (Jupiter) when it was still mostly rural. We hunted a lot west of Melbourne too, out near the big Mormon ranches. Things have definitely changed down there but it's been nice to see some of the private land in the hands of the state now with pretty committed restoration projects underway. Better than another golf course or strip mall. Seems like there's way more ducks now than when I was a kid and the quail are coming back a little in some spots.
Most of the hunting I've done near Melbourne has been for ducks on MINWR and further south on some other public lands. I've read the leases to some of those Mormon lands go for STUPID coin.

OP
NY16ga

NY16ga

FNG
Most of the hunting I've done near Melbourne has been for ducks on MINWR and further south on some other public lands. I've read the leases to some of those Mormon lands go for STUPID coin.

Oh yeah, my family was part of one of the old-school camps on the Kempfer's property east of Bull Creek. Incredible place to grow up hunting and fishing and still somewhat connected to cracker/cow hunter history but we got priced out when I was a teenager in the 1990s.