Theory of how red states/cities turn from red to blue

2ski

WKR
Cancel culture is just a modern form of group think. It's always been around. It's why peaceful people riot after their team wins a championship. The internet, forums, and social media have made group think global. I'm just being honest here, neither of the last two presidents gets elected without group think. It's on both sides.

Mt Al

WKR
The grand irony is that in CA a major reason illegals come here is to work for republican farmers.

Not trying to be a jerk by asking this, but is there clear data that illegals still crossing the border work primarily for farmers? what's grown in California does seem very labor intensive.

bozeman

WKR
Not popular, but you have to think about the parents that are more concerned about little johnny's little league championship (insert photo of blingy championship ring) than their moral character. Too much time building future Major League Baseball Players and NFL players and not building their character. You could also make the claim that removing the Bible from homes and slacking church attendance leads to a decline of any society (my personal belief).

Okhotnik

WKR
Not trying to be a jerk by asking this, but is there clear data that illegals still crossing the border work primarily for farmers? what's grown in California does seem very labor intensive.
a good percentage work in the construction trade and landscaping around the country. Its' racist and rather stupid to think they all just pick crops.

ODB

WKR
Let me get this straight. I can move somewhere that is way cheaper and isn’t a giant crap hole? Let’s slap a “Blue Girl Red State” bumper sticker on the car and hit the road! Boy are they going to be happy to have me.

Yup. It’s the worst kind of finger in the eye to the host red state.

I also see “refugees welcome” stickers now too. But I never see refugees in the passenger seats of those cars, just the Lilly white drivers. Wonder why not?

Gobbler36

WKR
Yup. It’s the worst kind of finger in the eye to the host red state.

I also see “refugees welcome” stickers now too. But I never see refugees in the passenger seats of those cars, just the Lilly white drivers. Wonder why not?
I often want to install a new brush guard on my truck when i see the “blue girl red state“ or the refugees welcome, ok if you want them, you should make your home open to host them in your home

Gobbler36

WKR
I was discussing this exodus from California recently with a friend.

Im in northern California, in one of the hardest left- leaning areas, and I would like to leave fir many reasons. Many reasons I like it here, as well.

My thought is that people leaving are fed up, and NOT looking to turn their new home into the place they left. Are you guys really seeing people leaving California and demanding/ vocalizing change on a level that would change your way of life?

I'm not denying that it's happening, but it seems these folks are being villianized before they even move. All the "red state"(so to speak) folks I know are holding tight. We're a minority here, but the artists and weed folks know who builds there homes and fixes leaky shit, and treat us fine. I wonder if staying here until everything crashes is the best bet, then we'll be ground floor in the rebuild?
Maybe but the people i feel i see move to Boise definitely have a little quirkiness to em, kinda like they are a liberal or something lol

ODB

WKR
I was discussing this exodus from California recently with a friend.

Im in northern California, in one of the hardest left- leaning areas, and I would like to leave fir many reasons. Many reasons I like it here, as well.

My thought is that people leaving are fed up, and NOT looking to turn their new home into the place they left. Are you guys really seeing people leaving California and demanding/ vocalizing change on a level that would change your way of life?

I'm not denying that it's happening, but it seems these folks are being villianized before they even move. All the "red state"(so to speak) folks I know are holding tight. We're a minority here, but the artists and weed folks know who builds there homes and fixes leaky shit, and treat us fine. I wonder if staying here until everything crashes is the best bet, then we'll be ground floor in the rebuild?

It’s both. Many people are coming here (Idaho) to get away from the policies of California. Also, many are moving here and bringing the crap.

My thoughts based on the people I have met:

most people moving to west Ada county (meridian/Kuna) and canyon county are the former. Those moving to east/north Ada (Boise and eagle) are more the latter.

Just Google something like Idaho and Californians and you can get a sense of what it’s like.

to be honest, having moved here 22 years ago as a single dude, having moved away and then moved back (it’s complicated)

it feels a lot like it did when I lived in a small beach town in South Carolina that my family has gone to since the 50s and lived in since the early 60s. There, the new city managers loved the new tourism traffic and allowed unfettered building to bring in the $$$$. To the point it absolutely ruined the town. There was not long ago a cociane ring bust 4 doors down from my dad. One of my dads cousin’s police partner was killed during a domestic violence incident with a druggie.

The people have come to treat it like a public toilet. They come, do their shit, and leave the mess for the locals to clean up.

I hate to say it, but I am starting to sense the same sentiment about Idaho. People are coming to take what it has to offer with very little regard to what they found, nor interest in conserving what brought them here in the first place.

I see lots of changes in who runs the newspaper, who is writing the stories; the lean of the stories. I have seen changes in how the education board positions itself (they left a meeting the other day all I’m a huff when someone proposed a bill to limit the influence of critical race theory in lesson plans) then took to Twitter to virtue signal to all their followers about how they did it.

this didn’t exist 22 years ago. But....it’s still a great place to be. More conservative minded people need to run for local office. I have considered doing it myself.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I believe out west it has more to do with Ski Areas becoming 2nd home targets of the affluent (who often are liberals), especially in the case of Wyoming and Montana.

Colorado is a mix of blame. Many IT companies came to Denver, but what has ruined Winter Park, Steamboat, A-basin, Breck, Vail, Copper, Beaver Creek is more a function of a major population center being within a 1.5 hr drive. Crested Butte and Telluride have been overrun with liberals similar to Wyoming and Montana. I lived in Breckenridge and Crested Butte in the early 2000s....the front range always sucked on the weekends due to the invasion of urbanites from Denver.

Billinsd

WKR
I believe out west it has more to do with Ski Areas becoming 2nd home targets of the affluent (who often are liberals), especially in the case of Wyoming and Montana.
Ding, ding, ding.

Crested Butte and Telluride have been overrun with liberals similar to Wyoming and Montana. I lived in Breckenridge and Crested Butte in the early 2000s....the front range always sucked on the weekends due to the invasion of urbanites from Denver.
Back in the 70s when we spent a lot of time hunting and skiing in Colorado it was nice. I spent a lot of time in Telluride and hear it's changed. I shot my first buck 30 miles west of Crested Butte. Back in the 70s, skiing at Purgatory by brother twisted his leg. At the first aid station the medics made fun of all the Texans coming to ski and getting hauled off the mountain in ambulances. We did see my pediatrician in a restaurant at Purgatory once. There were very few Californians like us there, especially in Crested Butte or Telluride, I think because big airports were far away. My dad could land his twin engine plane at airports too small for commercial jets. We rarely went to Aspen or places closer to Denver. Yes, back in the 70s before Californias it was Texans and evil Denver. Oh, I remember people telling me Salida was where the mafia went to vacation in the 70s.

Cancel culture is just a modern form of group think. It's always been around. It's why peaceful people riot after their team wins a championship. The internet, forums, and social media have made group think global. I'm just being honest here, neither of the last two presidents gets elected without group think. It's on both sides.
You must be speaking about obama and Trump...

Beendare

WKR
Actually OP I don’t think it is that simple.

California is a mess due to over half a century of ProgressiveLiberal Democrat politicians.
How do these people get elected? Its the liberal population and they flock to the coasts, birds of a feather.

it’s easy to sit there in the Midwest and say California and NY is a mess but guess where all of your crazies migrate to? It’s no surprise that there is a much higher percentage of LGBTQ hard-core progressives NSF and NYC than there are in Wichita.

Then there is the fact that all of the liberal professors are converting our kids one at a time. I bet there is more liberal kids coming out of Colorado colleges then there are Californians moving to Colorado.

My youngest is graduating from college this May and I can tell you, my kids were hammered on by these liberal progressive professors.

if I could change one thing it would be to keep politics out of education.

Last edited:

CJohnson

WKR
It sounds like people from California are doing to the mountain west what people from Ohio and NJ have been doing to the SC coast for years. When I was in high school I would cut yards for all the people who moved in in from OH, NJ, NJ, and CT because they didn’t realize $75/cut was expensive. It was always great to hear them whine about how great it was where they came from and how it sucked in SC. Always wondered why they moved here if it was so great where they left.

I would love to hear a quality response to why higher education is viewed as “liberal indoctrination”.

ODB

WKR
It sounds like people from California are doing to the mountain west what people from Ohio and NJ have been doing to the SC coast for years. When I was in high school I would cut yards for all the people who moved in in from OH, NJ, NJ, and CT because they didn’t realize $75/cut was expensive. It was always great to hear them whine about how great it was where they came from and how it sucked in SC. Always wondered why they moved here if it was so great where they left.

Yup. That’s why I mentioned SC specifically above. It’s the exact same thing. Those two worlds crashing together was brought to bear one day when my daughter and I were on the beach and heard a lady yell at the top of her lungs , “Maawvin! Come ovah heyah and tayke a pickchah!!!” My daughter died laughing. I just got morose...

;-)