Theory of how red states/cities turn from red to blue

CJohnson

WKR
I would love to hear a quality response to why higher education is viewed as “liberal indoctrination”.
I got my BS/MS in engineering at Clemson (a land grant/ag college in an ultra-red state) and most my professors were overwhelmingly left-leaning.

I could tell you a bunch of stories, but I’ll share one in particular. In a class I was taking on air pollution (ie designing scrubbers at power plants), the professor broke down and started ranting about how EVs were the future and everyone should get one. I asked about the consequences of lithium sourcing and concerns regarding the power cell life cycle and she broke down, started crying, and asked me to leave the class. She, like many of the other professors, was a professional academic. She got funding, did research, and published papers. She had never had a “real job” in the field or worked outside of academia.

That being said, I’m personally left of center on most issues. But, there’s a huge liberal bias on every university campus I’ve been too. It’s typically not the professors that are the problem. At Clemson it was always the “Student Affairs” people that pushed the narrative of the day. It seems like these departments are non-academic in nature but are filled with idealistic grad students who love virtue signaling and “organizing”. One guy from Clemson got his PhD in some liberal study and it was basically a rap mixtape. He got a lot of National attention for rapping his “dissertation” at his defense.

Just my 0.02.

Rob5589

WKR
It sounds like people from California are doing to the mountain west what people from Ohio and NJ have been doing to the SC coast for years. When I was in high school I would cut yards for all the people who moved in in from OH, NJ, NJ, and CT because they didn’t realize $75/cut was expensive. It was always great to hear them whine about how great it was where they came from and how it sucked in SC. Always wondered why they moved here if it was so great where they left.

It happens within California. "Rich guys" from the bay area moving east and north driving up home prices. Then complain how backwards xyz town is compared to San Francisco, Marin etc.

Just my 0.02.
Considerably more worthwhile than the typical response to my question (such as the other guy just saying lol).

I would agree there was an obvious left slant from a handful of my professors as well (University of Illinois - also a rural / Agricultural school at heart). Yet I can’t help but notice the overwhelming trend of people that I know who support the narrative of higher education being “liberal indoctrination” are folks without degrees from homogenous (all white) rural areas.

ODB

WKR
I would love to hear a quality response to why higher education is viewed as “liberal indoctrination”.

I went to UW (Seattle) as an adult. Basically studying my own track of English/Rhetoric/Writing (don't judge here dude, I'm typing with my thumbs..)

The gist is that there is a strong undercurrent of post-modern ideology running through just about every class, from rhetoric, critical practice, sociology, to things that seem outside of the post-modern reach like nutrition and romantic poetry. Post-modernism ideology is posited as fact to young people who have never heard of it, are convinced it's true because it preferences the idea that everyone's 'truth' is as valid as Truth, that there is no objective truth - that everything is subjective because a thing has to be perceived to be known and since everyone is a product of society, oppressions, biases, etc. and that colors how things are perceived, objective truth (or morality) cannot be known. They also talk about bio-power (Foucault), Abjection (Kristeva), word proximity relativism (Derrider) as if these things are as immutable as the standard meter in Paris - to quote Hemingway.

Students are then required to process the information from the class through these post-modern filters (that they don't really understand, but in order to pass the class they plod through it - never questioning), in their papers, speeches, or other presentation. Because most kids are in the same boat, there is a great deal of pressure to accept these ideas that sound so great (feminism, racial and social justice, and other -isms are fully engaged here as well) so like lemmings the students just buy into the ideologies, regurgutate them, find favor with their professors, and then - convinced they have just sprung from the brow of Minerva - viola! you have a new woke, even-more-liberal student, ready to take on the patriarchy, or any other cause they deem is in the way of progress, equity (not equality), and full social justice.

How, you may ask, did I avoid the trap? Simple - I played into it like a fiddle, using the papers and other exercises as my own education into the minds of the professors and the vapid ideologies of the woke. Was I wasting my money? No. I went to college for fun, paid cash, and graduated with a 3.99 average. It wasn't all that hard. I'm thinking about going back for other stuff.

But... expose kids to four years of that kind of indoctrination and a very large number of them will buy it hook, line, and sinker. I saw it happen with my own two eyes.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I was discussing this exodus from California recently with a friend.

Im in northern California, in one of the hardest left- leaning areas, and I would like to leave fir many reasons. Many reasons I like it here, as well.

My thought is that people leaving are fed up, and NOT looking to turn their new home into the place they left. Are you guys really seeing people leaving California and demanding/ vocalizing change on a level that would change your way of life?

I'm not denying that it's happening, but it seems these folks are being villianized before they even move. All the "red state"(so to speak) folks I know are holding tight. We're a minority here, but the artists and weed folks know who builds there homes and fixes leaky shit, and treat us fine. I wonder if staying here until everything crashes is the best bet, then we'll be ground floor in the rebuild?
Yes, talk to many California transplants every week who can't wait to change things to like where they left. They can't leave well enough alone.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

gexpro

WKR
1 part illegal immigration
2 parts education indoctrination
A dash of main stream media cramming liberalism down your throat 24/7
1/2 cup of election fraud.
Bake at 375 degrees until desired softness
dead nuts. education indoctrination for years and its finally coming full circle.

Rob5589

WKR
Yes, talk to many California transplants every week who can't wait to change things to like where they left. They can't leave well enough alone.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Many leave not for a different/better life experience, but a cheaper one. Unfortunately.

Batch

FNG
The town i grew up in SE Washington has changed drastically in the last ten plus years. A booming wine industry has brought in hordes of liberals. We already had a liberal university but i didn't notice the influence ( i was gone in the military for my 20's and 30's), Now the town has a big homeless population, that the left leaning city cancel like to pander to and create a homeless camp for. I think they want to keep some of the ambiance for the seattle/portland folks to feel at home.
They have their woke marches and rallies. Housing shortage and house prices have shot up incredibly high. I think they still vote red but it is by a slight margin and figure in a few years it will turn blue.
BIL tells me some of the woke crap they teach to kids in school and it pathetic. BLM assignments etc.