There can be only 1 .270 / 30.06 / .300 win All nib unfired Tikka T3 Hunters

Howiemoth

Lil-Rokslider
Hello,

I will be hunting mostly in N.C. , whitetail / hogs etc.. Like many I have a dream of heading out west some day for Elk. The Elk trip may never happen but if it does I have a 1960's Mark V .300 wby in the safe if needed. I have researched the various pros and cons and I am leaning toward keeping the .270. Though I could keep the .300 win thinking it would eliminate the need for all the others. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

TY

Hello,

I will be hunting mostly in N.C. , whitetail / hogs etc.. Like many I have a dream of heading out west some day for Elk. The Elk trip may never happen but if it does I have a 1960's Mark V .300 wby in the safe if needed. I have researched the various pros and cons and I am leaning toward keeping the .270. Though I could keep the .300 win thinking it would eliminate the need for all the others. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

TY
How far are you shooting? 270 is a great killer and usually the rifles are super light weight. In Idaho, up north anyways, my family have all put the bigger boomers back in the gun safes and we've went back to smaller calibers in lighter rifles. If you're shooting under 300 yards and in the timber, a 270 with a good bullet is a beast.

I don't see how spending money on a new 30-06 makes sense compared to already owning a 270. What's your guys thoughts for that? A 270 with hot nosler's is a killing machine, lightweight, and he already has one.

For hunting deer & hogs in NC with a possible western elk hunt in the future... geez, I don’t think you could pick a better cartridge than the 30-06 (or .308).

.270 is enough gun for both but wouldn’t be my first choice for dense brush hunting often found in NC, and the .300wm is overkill for whitetail & hogs (overkill= unnecessary recoil for a whitetail gun, bullets moving too fast at close range for whitetail/pencil holes, or on the other end, too much meat damage, plus the ammo is more expensive.
As for the hogs...well, I guess there’s no such thing as ”overkill” 😄).

They‘ll all get it done but I’d personally go with 30-06.

bhuntin

FNG
I'd go with the 270 or the 06. I think the 270 but really all depends on what flavor you like better. Pick the one that speaks to you the most and you will be happy.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I don't think you can go wrong with either the 270 or 30-06. Sorry I can't help with deciding between those two, as I have both (although I shoot the 30-06 more frequently, even for relatively close range whitetail in GA and SC).

And welcome to RS - great first post!

I would go 270 it has less recoil than the 30-06 which will make you shoot better and pretty much the same energy. If you are shooting over 500 yds then the 300 win makes the most sense for energy purposes. My buddy has a 300 win and when we go to the range he's always shooting off a lead sled. I can shoot a few boxes of 270 and feel fine, only thing that sends me home is the time to wait for the barrel to cool.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Either the 270 Win or 30-06 will more than meet your needs. I know first hand the effectiveness of a Tikka in 270 Win. Used one in Hawaii several times to kill several axis deer and wild boar.

Being honest with yourself, what is your tolerance for recoil? I ask since there is noticeable recoil with Tikkas and 300 WM. Contrary to Internet gospel, it will NOT knock you into next week when you shoot it. It will let you know it is there though.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
I don't see how spending money on a new 30-06 makes sense compared to already owning a 270. What's your guys thoughts for that? A 270 with hot nosler's is a killing machine, lightweight, and he already has one.

It appears from his thread title that he has all three, each a T3 wood stocked.

I‘d vote to keep all 3. Unless he needs to sell 2 to fund a trip!

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Normally I might quibble with the difference in recoil on 270 vs 30-06 (because the most frequent comparison isn't exactly apples-to-apples because of differences in bullet weight), but I think even keeping the loads close the 30-06 T3 Hunter weighs a smidge *less* than the 270, so the 270 really should have less recoil in this case.