Theres no such thing as traditional

Beendare

WKR
I'm going to hunt with my recurve this fall- Elk and moose....but I am hunting a tough unit in Northern NM....and I do want to kill an elk...so I decided to tune up my backup; an old compound that I haven't really shot in almost 3 years.

Just for fun I shot one arrow cold at 50 yds as a test.....it was just inside the softball sized spot. Then 2 more just like the first.

If I shot every day for 5 years ....I couldn't do that with my bare bow recurve hunting bow.

As a side note, I forgot how much more powerful a compound is.....it sure zips them in there.

____

I'm going to hunt with my recurve this fall- Elk and moose....but I am hunting a tough unit in Northern NM....and I do want to kill an elk...so I decided to tune up my backup; an old compound that I haven't really shot in almost 3 years.

Just for fun I shot one arrow cold at 50 yds as a test.....it was just inside the softball sized spot. Then 2 more just like the first.

If I shot every day for 5 years ....I couldn't do that with my bare bow recurve hunting bow.

As a side note, I forgot how much more powerful a compound is.....it sure zips them in there.

____

Your confusing it by talking about that kind of range.

Most who haven't picked up a stick in 3 years wouldn't put 3 arrows in a target at 25 yards.

I gave up.

No fallacy.

Recurves came with sights, before compounds were a thing.

View attachment 207420

I'm pretty sure I could have a beginner hunting ready, and ethical to 25 yds in a month with " traditional " gear.

Then your ethics, and that is what they are.... yours, are not the same as mine. Living breathing moving animals are not static targets, there is more to killing with archery than hitting a target you need to know anatomy and shot angles, when to draw because you ain't holding a decent weight stick bow as long as you can a compound. When an animal is too tense to risk a shot knowing they will jump the string and all the other things that apply in this stickbow world that don't apply to gun hunters, X bow hunters etc. Just curious, how many animals have you killed with a stickbow ? I only ask because anyone who has been killing 5-10 animals a year for several years with a stickbow tends not to agree with you, maybe you should take that under advisement.

Beendare

WKR
Your confusing it by talking about that kind of range.

Most who haven't picked up a stick in 3 years wouldn't put 3 arrows in a target at 25 yards.

Exactly.^..and thats why we can't even compare the two weapons.

A compound IS SO MUCH EASIER to shoot well its not even funny. Everybody knows that...well almost everybody- grin

I love shooting my stick bow...I love the feel of it in my hand in the elk woods....and I realize it handicaps me. There is no new stick bow guy bragging about how easy it is to kill stuff....showing his many animals and that he is 100% success on every shot he takes....that just doesn't happen...and those of us with experience know that.

_____

Exactly.^..and thats why we can't even compare the two weapons.

A compound IS SO MUCH EASIER to shoot well its not even funny. Everybody knows that...well almost everybody- grin

I love shooting my stick bow...I love the feel of it in my hand in the elk woods....and I realize it handicaps me. There is no new stick bow guy bragging about how easy it is to kill stuff....showing his many animals and that he is 100% success on every shot he takes....that just doesn't happen...and those of us with experience know that.

_____

So wait.....

Your saying even once proficient it's hard to use a stick at 25??

...Grin..

@

OP
W
Compounds are just archery with doodads.

And sticks are just archery sans the doodads.

So if we put it in an equation it becomes a little more self evident.

Archery + doodads = archery - doodads

The plus, and minus doodads cancel each other out, leaving us with:

Archery=Archery

Time to get up to speed is starting to be debate no.2

If you start w/ a 30lb bow, and 5 matching arrows at 5 yds, and dont move back, till you can keep all 5 in a paper plate.......it will not take more than a month to get to 25 yds.

It might not take a week.

Then switch limbs to 40lb and start over at 5 yds.

Try it.

Drive around and think about it for a few days.

I'm not talking about shooting a grouse's head off at 50yds.

I'm talking about minute of plate out to 25.

Archery=Archery

If you start w/ a 30lb bow, and 5 matching arrows at 5 yds, and dont move back, till you can keep all 5 in a paper plate.......it will not take more than a month to get to 25 yds.

Try it.

Been a while since I had algebra, but I think only way that equation works is if doodads equal zero.

Archery=Archery

Try it.

When you are starting over with heavier limbs are you using the same arrows and cutting them down to get the spine correct?

Do you just shoot broadheads from the jump?

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
F1 race care are just cars with big motors.
And smart cars are just cars sans the big motors.
cars + big motors = cars - big motors
The plus, and minus big motors cancel each other out, leaving us with:
Cars=Cars

If you start w/ a 300hp motor, and 5mph keeping it between the lines, and dont speed up, till you can keep in the lines.......it will not take more than a month to get to 250 mph.
Then motor to 400hp and start over at 5mph.
Try it.

I'm not talking about winning the F1 cup.
Just being able to compete on a pro level.

While the simile doesnt directly traslate I think everyone else gets the point.

Beendare

WKR
Could this get any sillier?

Of course someone can get proficient with a stick at short range targets....I've got dead animals to prove that!

The claim that Stickbows and compounds are equally easy is RIDICULOUS.

"Its all archery" OK....except one is a short range weapon with a much higher degree of difficulty.

Thats like saying; they are all firearms; pistols= rifles....try shooting a buck at 200 yds with your pistol.

Silly Discussion.....William, go actually kill something with your stick bow and be happy.

F1 race care are just cars with big motors.
And smart cars are just cars sans the big motors.
cars + big motors = cars - big motors
The plus, and minus big motors cancel each other out, leaving us with:
Cars=Cars

If you start w/ a 300hp motor, and 5mph keeping it between the lines, and dont speed up, till you can keep in the lines.......it will not take more than a month to get to 250 mph.
Then motor to 400hp and start over at 5mph.
Try it.

I'm not talking about winning the F1 cup.
Just being able to compete on a pro level.

While the simile doesnt directly traslate I think everyone else gets the point.

You confused me.

When a train leaves Chicago at 10:04 am headed to Saint Louis at 47.56 mph, when does it get to Detroit?

Bmoore

Lil-Rokslider
You confused me.

When a train leaves Chicago at 10:04 am headed to Saint Louis at 47.56 mph, when does it get to Detroit?
Well you forgot that jimmy works at an ice cream stand that has 4 different cone options and 15 different flavors. You can’t calculate the travel time for the train until you calculate the number of combinations you could get from jimmy at the ice cream stand.