Therm-a-rest, Nemo, Sea to Summit- Another comparison..

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
Hi guys, I'm going cross eyed from looking at and comparing sleeping pads so please bear with me...I am looking for an all around pad from early spring to late fall, I don't see myself sleeping in much colder than 25-30 (on purpose) but it'll also serve as a warm weather pad too. It seems the R value recommended from manufactures for the lower temp limit fluctuates. I'm looking for a r-value of 3.5+, 25" width, 2.5" minimum thickness, lifetime warranty and weight under 2lbs. From this I found three options more or less-

Therm-a-rest Xlite (Large/wide): 4.2r, 2.5" thick, 16 oz, roughly $230

Nemo Tensor Alpine (Large/Wide): 4.8r, 3" thick, 1lb 11oz, roughly $245

Sea to Summit Ether Light Xt (Women's large/wide): 3.5r, 4" thick, 1lb 5.2oz, roughly $200

I know all air filled sleeping pads are susceptible to leaks and poked holes but it seems more common with the last two from reviews..I was leaning towards the last two from a comfort perspective. Other thoughts- I excluded the Xtherm since I think it may be overkill for the summer. I also went with the womans Ether Light to pick up a small increase in r-value and increased width.

Can anyone weigh in with real world experiences on these pads?
Any help appreciated

Trial153

WKR
I have tensor that beat the hell out of, about 100 nights over like four years. ...at last the seal around the value went. They sent me a new pad under warranty with an updated valve. You cant go far wrong with any of the pads you listed. Though my xtherm was little noisy it wasnt terrible they will all work for you

Last edited:

HuntNTag

WKR
Klymit insulated static V. R value if 4.4 and doesn’t break the bank. Really solid pad and I e had mine for 5+ years with no issues from 70+ degree to 0 degrees outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a version of that neo air and the ether lite. My etherlite is a few years old, so in fairness, they may have done some updates. It works fine but is loud. It crinkles when you move loud enough for camp mates sleeping 10 feet away to comment. I got the sea to summit ether lite (regular wide rectangular version) a couple of years ago. I have A couple dozen nights on it and haven’t used another pad since I got it. The 4” thickness really works for me. I am heavy and a side sleep and it means I never bottom out. it also has a much better valve system than the thermarest. In both comfort and function, I’d preference the sea to summit by a fairly wide margin.

FWIW - I have run both pads in fairly low temps, mid 20s, without issue.

I am in the same boat. My eyes are bleeding from trying to compare all the pads out there. Sea to summit ether lite looks like the final contender. Not the highest price, thick for side sleepers and good r value.

OP
86indy

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
I think Trial153 hit on it, they'll all probably work fine but I'm trying to do my due diligence since I'm still on a tight budget and wanting to buy once cry once.
Klymit insulated static V. R value if 4.4 and doesn’t break the bank. Really solid pad and I e had mine for 5+ years with no issues from 70+ degree to 0 degrees outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm coming off an old insulated klymit and it worked no doubt but I don't love the separations between the baffles.
..The 4” thickness really works for me. I am heavy and a side sleep and it means I never bottom out. it also has a much better valve system than the thermarest. In both comfort and function, I’d preference the sea to summit by a fairly wide margin.

FWIW - I have run both pads in fairly low temps, mid 20s, without issue.
This is the main attraction to this pad for me. I don't see a down side to extra thickness unless you fall off it, then its just more noticeable.

It really comes down to the S2S or the Nemo and if what I choose fails me I'll go to the Xlite route as it seem stout, just a bit noisier.

NDGuy

WKR
I grabbed the Xtherm off the deals post awhile back. Very comfortable and looks warm as hell. Most of my hunts it's not too hot out at night so not worried about being a little warm.

Rather be warm than cold!

jKsled

Lil-Rokslider
I'll throw in the klymit Static V Luxe SL to your comparison, it's a little pricier than the standard static V but 6.5 R, 3.5" thick, and just under 2lbs. I've been very happy with it and it isn't noisy.

I think Trial153 hit on it, they'll all probably work fine but I'm trying to do my due diligence since I'm still on a tight budget and wanting to buy once cry once.

I'm coming off an old insulated klymit and it worked no doubt but I don't love the separations between the baffles.

This is the main attraction to this pad for me. I don't see a down side to extra thickness unless you fall off it, then its just more noticeable.

It really comes down to the S2S or the Nemo and if what I choose fails me I'll go to the Xlite route as it seem stout, just a bit noisier.

4inch pad vs. 3 inch pad is a game changer. I run my sea to summit a touch less than fully inflated. Super comfy and I don’t fall off or have to worry about trying to max inflate the pad with every last little breath. This thing would have to fail hard to send me back to another pad. Only possible exceptions are when I camp ultra light or in cold, cold weather.

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
SynMat Winterlite HL MW - ASTM certified R5 3.5" thick, perfect year round mat.

The big brands all have their mats independently certified for R-Value - big brands being EXPED, Nemo, Big Agnes, Thermarest, Sea To Summit. Keep that in mind during your shopping

OP
86indy

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
SynMat Winterlite HL MW - ASTM certified R5 3.5" thick, perfect year round mat.

The big brands all have their mats independently certified for R-Value - big brands being EXPED, Nemo, Big Agnes, Thermarest, Sea To Summit. Keep that in mind during your shopping
I think that its a "unified" system as of 2020 there was standard passed "ASTM International R-Value Sleeping Pad Standard FF3340-18". With that I'm sure some will lie as they always do..

I ordered the Sea to Summit Ether Light Xt last night, so we'll see how it does.

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
I think that its a "unified" system as of 2020 there was standard passed "ASTM International R-Value Sleeping Pad Standard FF3340-18". With that I'm sure some will lie as they always do..

I ordered the Sea to Summit Ether Light Xt last night, so we'll see how it does.
I'm pretty confident the reputable brands will submit the truth for their rating. EXPED has been independently tested since 2001, the founder has been pushing for an industry standardization since that time. If a brand is unwilling to test to ASTM standards, that is where I'd be hesitant in trusting their stated r-value.

All in all, r-value provides us all with a bottom baseline. A R3 pad might keep you warm at 25F, but it may not be a comfortable warm, similar to that of EN ratings in sleeping bags with their lower/survival ratings. I've found that an R5 is a solid year round performer and it's important to remember that insulation works two ways, to keep you warm from the cold ground and also to help keep the warm ground from reaching you in the warmer months.

sektr

FNG
I’m a huge Nemo advocate. Thermarest is great but their UL pads are so damn loud it drives me nuts.

Nemo’s long wide pads are comfier and more stable for a minimal weight penalty. I have the standard Tensor Insulated and it has served me just fine for three season use. Haven’t been down to freezing yet but I imagine it would do fine.

I’m looking to get the Alpine for a four season pad next year.

If you’re not an absolute ultralight junkie highly recommend going the Nemo route for a better nights sleep. If you can stand the chip bag sound, a smaller pad, and less stability in exchange for slightly higher R value, smaller pack size and slightly less weight, then go Thermarest.

I have several thermarest pads and i like the x lite a lot. I don't mind the noise, i hunt hard and sleep like a rock usually

Haven't read what others have posted above me, but I have owned both the Nemo Tensor and the Thermarest Xtherm so can speak from experience.

The Tensor was great for three+ years and never had any issues with it down to +/- 30 degrees. After that I did notice I would get a little chilly from underneath, especially when using a true down sleeping bag vs. a synthetic fill. Nothing unbearable though. After that and realizing I was doing more winter camping, I sold the Tensor and "upgraded" to a Thermarest.

The Thermarest is warmer by a long shot. No comparison there. Here is what I found though now that I've slept on both for a while:

Warmth: Thermarest hands down. Slept in 10 degrees ambient cowboy style and didn't get cold from underneath.
Comfort: Equally matched. The Tensor has a slightly more rectangular cut, so your legs don't slide off as much, not that that really matters.
Noise: Big difference here. The Tensor is not super quiet, but at least reasonable. The Thermarest is loud. The reviews are true. I found noise isn't noticeable to the user, but is very annoying to your camping partner who's just trying to sleep.
Packability: The tensor rolls up quieter (if that matters to you) and was more like a smart water bottle shape rather than the Thermarest which is more like a short and wide nalgene bottle.
Inflation: Tensor came with a better inflation sack, but both work so I wouldn't let that sway you either way.

If I'm being honest with myself, I miss the Nemo Tensor, but I know I need to have the Thermarest for winter camping.

sektr

FNG
Haven't read what others have posted above me, but I have owned both the Nemo Tensor and the Thermarest Xtherm so can speak from experience.

The Tensor was great for three+ years and never had any issues with it down to +/- 30 degrees. After that I did notice I would get a little chilly from underneath, especially when using a true down sleeping bag vs. a synthetic fill. Nothing unbearable though. After that and realizing I was doing more winter camping, I sold the Tensor and "upgraded" to a Thermarest.

The Thermarest is warmer by a long shot. No comparison there. Here is what I found though now that I've slept on both for a while:

Warmth: Thermarest hands down. Slept in 10 degrees ambient cowboy style and didn't get cold from underneath.
Comfort: Equally matched. The Tensor has a slightly more rectangular cut, so your legs don't slide off as much, not that that really matters.
Noise: Big difference here. The Tensor is not super quiet, but at least reasonable. The Thermarest is loud. The reviews are true. I found noise isn't noticeable to the user, but is very annoying to your camping partner who's just trying to sleep.
Packability: The tensor rolls up quieter (if that matters to you) and was more like a smart water bottle shape rather than the Thermarest which is more like a short and wide nalgene bottle.
Inflation: Tensor came with a better inflation sack, but both work so I wouldn't let that sway you either way.

If I'm being honest with myself, I miss the Nemo Tensor, but I know I need to have the Thermarest for winter camping.
Curious, were you using the Alpine version of the Tensor or just the standard insulated? Just curious as I’ve found the standard insulated one fine down to near freezing (although I can imagine it would start to get a bit chilly after it drops below).

Would be surprising to hear it’s an issue at those temps with the Alpine.

Curious, were you using the Alpine version of the Tensor or just the standard insulated? Just curious as I’ve found the standard insulated one fine down to near freezing (although I can imagine it would start to get a bit chilly after it drops below).

Would be surprising to hear it’s an issue at those temps with the Alpine.
I didn't know that they made an Alpine version until just now. I only have experience with the Tensor Insulated (R Value of 3.5). The Alpine version is almost certainly warmer (R 4.8) and only a few ounces heavier. Looks nice, and I bet they just added more of the reflective aluminized film inside...though I've never laid down on one so that's pure speculation.

I tend to sleep cold in the backcountry, so I'm not surprised you were comfortable with the Tensor down to freezing temps!

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Sea to Summit Comfort Lite Insulated rectangular and can’t imagine a more comfortable sleeping pad. It has a decent r value and is quiet compared to the thermarest pads with the space blanket foil insides.