Thermal comparison

I think I am close to picking up a thermal for scanning/spotting game. I wanted to keep it under $3k but after researching for the last month I feel like it may be worth bumping that up to $4k.

Looking at the Bering Phenom, Leica Calonox and Pulsar Helion 2 XP50 Pro. These all have a 640x chip.

The Phenom appears to be great on paper and the price is the lowest just over $3k. It is Chinese but appears to get good reviews and has a 4 year warranty. One con I see is the internal battery. I just dont think I like that option as much as a removable battery. Batteries can be a weak point as some seem to die prematurly.

The Leica appears to be a great unit on paper as well. Its about $5-600 more than the Phenom. It only has a 2.5x fixed mag. This one also has an internal battery so same concern.

The Helion is my front runner and the most expensive right at $4k. It has a removable battery. It is about 3" longer than the others which I dont know how much that will matter to me. This one appears to have the best view and sensitivity looking at videos and reviews.

Does anyone here have experience or oppinions on these or something I am missing?

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We have been a Leica and Pulsar dealer for a very long time. The Leica we are excited about, however, Leica has no experience or history with Thermals. They have amazing optics and after their new Calanox has been out and used for a year or so we will then be able to give a fair assessment.

We sell MANY Pulsar units and since Flir turned their back on the consumer market we feel that Pulsar is the #1 way to go in thermal.

As a long standing supporting vendor on this forum it would be our pleasure to discuss options and special opportunities with you. Please give us a call, 516-217-1000, if you have a few minutes

What are you using it for? Just spotting critters and that's it? Or are you wanting a scanner and then switch to thermal on your gun for hunting coyotes? Are you wanting to use it out of the truck window and walking around, just while you're standing out hunting, or off the porch to see if there's coyotes out in the pasture? Do you have experience with other thermals?

If you plan on using it while moving I would stay around 2x or less magnification. If you're standing still and want to scan a large area then you can go higher. If you're going with a 640 unit then you can get away with lower magnification and still have great field of view and then still zoom in once and still have 320 resolution and more magnification. Kind of like getting two in one.

I hunt coyotes in Iowa and have a 2.2x 384 resolution scope on my gun and a 1.9x 384 scanner. I wanted more FOV for my scanner so I can spot stuff coming in then have a little more magnification for my gun to shoot with. I can scan out the truck window or walking without too much issue with 1.9x. I've shot several coyotes around 200 and the longest was 320 yards with only having 2.2x magnification. I could see cows with that scope at 1350 yards. I have the new AGM 2.5x 640 scope on preorder which is 2.5x and then I can bump it up to 5x and still have decent 320 resolution when it's zoomed in for longer shots.

I don't have first hand experience with the ones you listed, but it sounds like the pulsar model you listed is the top of the list for handheld thermals. Pretty much everyone says pulsar has great customer service if you need it.