Thermal for the working man

Anybody have any experience with the new Zeiss thermal monocular? It has a good price point and Zeiss has a great reputation for customer service so I’m thinking hard about going this route

I browsed it pretty quickly. No way would I spend that type of money on it.
It’s only a 384, 17 micron, 2 year warranty maybe 3. For $3k.
There is better out there for the same price.

Spark352

Lil-Rokslider
Recently found a decent deal on a FLIR PTS233. The price point seems nice as it is under 2k new. Any one have experience with the actual detection range? Any other options for 2021 that y’all would recommend for around that 2k price point?

Flir is getting out of the civilian market. I believe after the warranty is up there is not going to be support for their products.

Depending on what you want it for, the Bering R 25 is a little over that. AGM probably has something in that range. I think Pulsar just came out with a cheap Thermion.

Recently found a decent deal on a FLIR PTS233. The price point seems nice as it is under 2k new. Any one have experience with the actual detection range? Any other options for 2021 that y’all would recommend for around that 2k price point?

Pretty good optic for the price, but I wouldn’t buy it. Flir is done with civilians, once that original warranty is up. You’re stuck with out of pocket fixes. Better options with current companies for a little more money than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8foothog

FNG
Hey guys, I’m new here, hope you all don’t mind me firing this thread back up.

Curious if any of you have experience with the AGM python 75 640?

I bought one and I’m a little underwhelmed with the image. Maybe I had my hopes a hair too high? Thanks in advance!

Bbell12

WKR
Anyone have experience with thermal clip-on’s? Am looking specifically at the AGM Rattler or ATN TICO. Thanks

Hey guys, I’m new here, hope you all don’t mind me firing this thread back up.

Curious if any of you have experience with the AGM python 75 640?

I bought one and I’m a little underwhelmed with the image. Maybe I had my hopes a hair too high? Thanks in advance!
I glanced at the specs quickly. The two things that stand out are that the core is a 17 and it only had a 30hz refresh rate.

If you can I would send it back and grab something else if it cost as much as I saw posted.
Anyone have experience with thermal clip-on’s? Am looking specifically at the AGM Rattler or ATN TICO. Thanks
Most clip ons don’t work very well unless you spend a lot of money. I would definitely read up on them before you drop the coin.

Bbell12

WKR
Most clip ons don’t work very well unless you spend a lot of money. I would definitely read up on them before you drop the coin.
So if they don’t work well as an attachment for my scope are they still a good scanning device if all else fails?

Last edited:
The only clip-on I know of that is widely used is the Snipe and everyone I know that uses it only uses it as a scanner. So yes they work to scan with.

Why not just use a regular weapon sight like that? I don't do it but I have read lots of reports of weapon sights returning to zero since they have good QD mounts on them. There are a good amount of hunters out there that scan with their sight, then mount it once they see something coming in. I used to use a weapon sight as a dedicated scanner and it worked fine. I just never used it as a sight at the same time.

Just look at the price of good clip-ons and a good weapon sight. Clip-ons cost more for less. You could buy an additional rifle for the cost difference so you have one day rifle and one night rifle if that is the problem.

I feel like it works like this.

Dedicated scanner costs the least for a decent picture. Next up is the weapon sight. Third is the clip-on.

Definitely research thermals thoroughly though. There are some real dogs out there especially for the price.

Bbell12

WKR
Thank you sir, I appreciate all the good info. With the amount of money these things cost, I definitely don't want to make a bad decision.

If you tell us what you are actually using it for and the type of terrain you are using it in the members could help make a suggestion. Also the price range you would like to stay in.

Where I hunt which is pretty open I like a weapon sight with decent native magnification. And a scanner with a big field of view. If I was hunting tighter country I would want less native mag in the weapon sight and more field of view.

Bbell12

WKR
My price range is around $2k (no more than $2.5k). I hunt in West Texas, lots of open country and potentially spotting animals quite a ways off.

I've hunted with my brother quite a bit who uses a Pulsar Axion Key XM30. We use it to spot and stalk hogs and it works really well, I was just trying to get greedy with a clip-on to try and kill two birds with one stone while spending the same money but I don't believe that is possible now that you've enlightened me.

With that being said, I think I'll go the same route in purchasing a monocular so if you guys have any recommendations I'm all ears.

B23

WKR
I've been told the Bering Optics Phenom is a VERY good monocular scanner with extremely good image quality. It is just a little more than your 2500 cap but you also get a 640 core instead of 384 like many of the others.

What is your shot distance?
I’ve got a Phenom and it is a really nice scanner for the price. Can’t use it as a weapon sight though.

The Bering Hogster’s are good sights for the money. They have a 4 year warranty. I used the 35 Hogster as a scanner for awhile. The Super Hogster is nice if shooting further but it has a tight field of view and is out of your price range.

My understanding of hogs is the Hogster 25 would work well. Lots of closer shots so it’s nice to have a big field of view.