Thermal for the working man

AKG

FNG
I have a pulsar xq38, 2.2-8.8 digital zoom, it's been problem free for me for 3 years. Depending on cover and ambient temperatures I can positively distinguish between canines and deer out beyond 600 yards- but part of that is in how the animal is moving. I've also looked at critters in the brush at much closer ranges and been unable to distinguish what I'm looking at due to the obstructions preventing me from seeing the overall shape. Mine doesn't have internal recording capabilities and I use an external battery pack. The digital zoom is pretty worthless in my opinion due to the pixelation mentioned by others. I keep mine on 2.2 but do like the picture in picture mode for aiming, keeping it at low zoom gives a better FOV anyway.

Range estimation is difficult as it does not have range finding capabilities. It excels at shooting within a couple hundred yards. My furthest coyote kill was about 440 yards with it. I knew it was a ways out, missed first shot coyote just stood there so I held higher and got it. It was a moonlit night so I ranged trees I had been near when shooting after I located the coyote hence the about 440. It is great hunting over a bait or smaller openings where you are shooting at known ranges.

If you don't have a separate scanner I would recommend a good tripod when using it hunting as it quickly gets heavy when looking around with it.

I went night vision first with the Thor x-site 4K and 1500abl Rangefinder. Like it, no problems. Worked well on the farm...lots of open area. NV doesn’t work so well in heavily treed areas which is where I am now. lot of reflection back back from close trees and doesn’t penetrate very deep into treed areas. Something to consider.

Geewhiz

WKR
Will be submitting a review in the next week or so on the agm asp 35 scanner, will have some pics and a video or 2 linked.

Sold my agm python ts 35 micro and now have my n-vision halo lr and it is mind blowing! Had it side by side with a pulsar xp 38 trail lrf and a trijicon ir hunter 60mm i think it was and there was co comparison.View attachment 159787

2nd that. Halo LR is bad to the bone. I was identifying coyotes in the sage the other night at close to a mile.

The Iray is great you will love it - I just setup duals on a helmet. Will try to link to video below (through Halo LR) of the first hunt using them.

9D90F5A3-5A7F-45ED-B38E-03E6493A90C8.jpeg

Hunt video:

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
The Iray is great you will love it - I just setup duals on a helmet. Will try to link to video below (through Halo LR) of the first hunt using them.

View attachment 249439

Hunt video:

Cool video, you using predator precision dvr? I have a halo too, have played with the 3dnightvision dvr it does ok. Not sure i am in love with the iray yet. I need more base mag.

Gonna take it out Friday night and then I may pass it along

Yeah Jeff’s MDVR - works great although only gives you about 70-80% of the clarity you see in the actual scope. I prefer a lower base mag scanner. My handheld is a Helion XP28 which I love too. One thought - the zoom is really clean on the Iray and you may want to try PIP mode which gives you 2x before selling. I had no problem spotting coyotes in that video at 600 yards - but if you are constantly in the wide open I can understand wanting more base mag. I just want to detect with my scanner and then I go to the Halo.

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
Yeah Jeff’s MDVR - works great although only gives you about 70-80% of the clarity you see in the actual scope. I prefer a lower base mag scanner. My handheld is a Helion XP28 which I love too. One thought - the zoom is really clean on the Iray and you may want to try PIP mode which gives you 2x before selling. I had no problem spotting coyotes in that video at 600 yards - but if you are constantly in the wide open I can understand wanting more base mag. I just want to detect with my scanner and then I go to the Halo.
Keep in touch if you know someone looking

Nobody has mentioned them but I’m probably going to jump in with the Bering Optics Hogster 25 or the Hogster 35; roughly $2225 and $2800 respectively. They are very comparable to Pulsar but have a better warranty and a little lower price. Stay away from ATN. Bering, Pulsar and AGM are your best bet. Check out the “Late Night Vision Show” on YouTube for some terrific info and reviews - just skip over the chatting in the first ~15 minutes. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
Nobody has mentioned them but I’m probably going to jump in with the Bering Optics Hogster 25 or the Hogster 35; roughly $2225 and $2800 respectively. They are very comparable to Pulsar but have a better warranty and a little lower price. Stay away from ATN. Bering, Pulsar and AGM are your best bet. Check out the “Late Night Vision Show” on YouTube for some terrific info and reviews - just skip over the chatting in the first ~15 minutes. Lol

If you like those then also look at the super hogster, the new agm rattler that is coming out as well as some of the other stuff being released.

The proven asp tm 25 and 35mm scanners from agm are being discontinued as well as the micro 384 and will be replaced by the taipan scanner, same body as the micro 384 or 160 scanners, but a 12 micron 384 in 15, 19 and 25mm lenses.

I’ve got 3 of the Bering thermals. A 35R, Super, and a Phenom. For the price they are hard to beat. Couple pics I took with the Phenom the other night. The triple I killed @211, 241, and 343 yards.
1C2BD458-B118-4031-86A7-1A7E644FE94D.jpeg35AF3B91-6309-4A92-A5AA-94C62CBF1686.jpeg

If you like those then also look at the super hogster, the new agm rattler that is coming out as well as some of the other stuff being released.

The proven asp tm 25 and 35mm scanners from agm are being discontinued as well as the micro 384 and will be replaced by the taipan scanner, same body as the micro 384 or 160 scanners, but a 12 micron 384 in 15, 19 and 25mm lenses.

I thought about the AGM stiff but I’m pretty sure I’m going to go with the Hogster 25 for scanning because it’s plenty compact AND it provides me with a backup or a extra thermal for my wife or kids to use when they want to join me. I feel like it provides a better value for me, in my particular situation. We don’t take many shots past 100yds here anyway; and most are 40-75yds. So, the Hogster 25 is all I REALLY need and sometimes the best choice. I thought about the “Super” but I’m not sure I need the extra bells and whistles. I don’t care about recording my shots - I find watching thermal videos boring as hell. Lol! So, I’m not going to bore others with my hunting.

yotehunt

FNG
Pulsar needs to quit remaking or making new models every dang 4 months. They flopped hard on the digiex, what muff cabbage marketing.
I hear the ultranv450 is really good for digital nv.

Owned a digiex 455 (trash), 2x axions and a xp thermion. Nice, not great..

I now run helmet thermal and IIT scopes.

I thought about the AGM stiff but I’m pretty sure I’m going to go with the Hogster 25 for scanning because it’s plenty compact AND it provides me with a backup or a extra thermal for my wife or kids to use when they want to join me. I feel like it provides a better value for me, in my particular situation. We don’t take many shots past 100yds here anyway; and most are 40-75yds. So, the Hogster 25 is all I REALLY need and sometimes the best choice. I thought about the “Super” but I’m not sure I need the extra bells and whistles. I don’t care about recording my shots - I find watching thermal videos boring as hell. Lol! So, I’m not going to bore others with my hunting.

I think the 25 is way better than the Super for the ranges you are talking. A decent field of view is really nice while scanning compared to a tight field of view.