Thermal for the working man

Bbell12

WKR
It would probably be 100 yards or less.

The Hogster 25 looks great for the price point. Do you have any experience coupling these with a QD mount for taking off and using as a scanner without sacrificing your zero when you remount it?

I do not. I have read a lot of reports of them returning to zero. But I’ve never done that. I’ve always used a separate scanner and left the weapon sight mounted

8foothog

FNG
I glanced at the specs quickly. The two things that stand out are that the core is a 17 and it only had a 30hz refresh rate.

If you can I would send it back and grab something else if it cost as much as I saw posted.

Most clip ons don’t work very well unless you spend a lot of money. I would definitely read up on them before you drop the coin.
Dirtytough,

Thanks for the response. I’m past the return option I believe. I assume you have some time behind the 12micro /60hz thermals. I’d like to talk to someone a little more about all that but I’m kinda steering this thread in the opposite direction of lower priced thermals, sorry!

Split toe

WKR
Dirtytough,

Thanks for the response. I’m past the return option I believe. I assume you have some time behind the 12micro /60hz thermals. I’d like to talk to someone a little more about all that but I’m kinda steering this thread in the opposite direction of lower priced thermals, sorry!
I have time behind multiple brands of thermals if you have any questions.

t35henry

FNG
Here is my two cents. Outfitter in TX, Pulsar is the way to go no question they are leaps and bounds ahead of the others until you get into the 10k range.

The XQ 38 is what I recommend the most for best budget thermal around the 3000-3500 mark. It has all the bells and whistles. If you don’t care about recording then go with I think it’s the core or helion model. Same processor just without bells and whistles for around the 2k mark.
If going thermal don’t go any less than a 384 processor, every zoom is applied the resolution is essentially cut in half. Flir isn’t selling public and have not been impressed with their models in the past anyways.

As far as Nightvision I haven’t yet played with Pulsar scopes. I hear they are great though. I do have an ATN X sight. It’s actually surprisingly good for the 500 mark.
You will need to definitely upgrade the IR light. It is so much better with a high quality IR light and can be used up to 150 yards without issue. Also an external battery pack is a must as it eats batteries.
The biggest disadvantage I see with it is when firing the jolt recalibrated the screen so follow up shots are not quick.
Got to demo one, the Pulsar blew me away. Was wondering about longevity in the woods though. Seemed pretty solid but haven’t been able to put one to the long test yet.

netman

WKR
I just ordered the Super Hogster and the Phenom 640. I’m excited about their arrival.

I just ordered the Super Hogster and the Phenom 640. I’m excited about their arrival.
u won't regret your decision on the super hogster. would highly recommend a 10k anker for an external battery pack if you plan on using it in cold climates ( that goes for any thermal in my experience not just bering)

netman

WKR
I’m getting a external battery to mount on my mlock forearm.
My thermals should be in my hands within a few days. I’m excited!

bry.rn

FNG
What’s the best bang for the buck with thermal monoculars? Thanks

Last edited:

GoferDog

FNG
Has anyone had any experience with the pulsar thermal optics shooting past 299 yards at night? We don’t have a lot of choice in Australia and spending $5000 on a thermal and regretting it would be a bit tragic!

GoferDog

FNG
Has anyone had any experience with the pulsar thermal optics shooting past 299 yards at night? We don’t have a lot of choice in Australia and spending $5000 on a thermal and regretting it would be a bit tragic!
Sorry past *200 yards

Split toe

WKR