Thermal LRF

bmicek

WKR
It seems that thermals are starting to come equipped with a range finder built in. How essential is this with a thermal optic? Does it help quite a bit when hunting at night? I realize it’s hard to judge distance through an optic like that but is it so tough to where a 200yd shot turned out to be 500 yards?

I should state, I ask this because I’m in the thermal market and don’t want to regret my purchase if I get one without a range finder.

If you have the money to buy one with a LFR, get it. I can tell with mine when an animal is within 200 yards. Beyond that distance it's a guessing game for me.

OP
B

bmicek

WKR
If you have the money to buy one with a LFR, get it. I can tell with mine when an animal is within 200 yards. Beyond that distance it's a guessing game for me.
Thanks I’ll definitely have to consider it then.

it all depends on your experience level with thermal and terrain of where you're actually hunting. Once you get a few seasons under your belt you can start to figure out range based on animal size in optic and the the picture definition of animal (judging based off animal size will not work for hogs as they come in all shapes & sizes & generally speaking coyotes are all close to the same size). If you're going to be primarily hunting the same property where you know most of the ranges, it will not be that big of deal but if you plan to hunt new country all the time with bigger fields or open rolling hills it can come in handy. With that being said i purchased a different monocular this winter that had LRF and it wasn't as big of a gamechanger as I'd thought it would be. LRF on my monocular has max range of 600 meters, furthest I was able to get a range on one was 3xx yards and it wasn't very easy to do (lot of clicking that damn button). I have found it useful when hunting new terrain that I've never laid eyes on during daylight to range landmarks before I start calling.

OP
B

bmicek

WKR
it all depends on your experience level with thermal and terrain of where you're actually hunting. Once you get a few seasons under your belt you can start to figure out range based on animal size in optic and the the picture definition of animal (judging based off animal size will not work for hogs as they come in all shapes & sizes & generally speaking coyotes are all close to the same size). If you're going to be primarily hunting the same property where you know most of the ranges, it will not be that big of deal but if you plan to hunt new country all the time with bigger fields or open rolling hills it can come in handy. With that being said i purchased a different monocular this winter that had LRF and it wasn't as big of a gamechanger as I'd thought it would be. LRF on my monocular has max range of 600 meters, furthest I was able to get a range on one was 3xx yards and it wasn't very easy to do (lot of clicking that damn button). I have found it useful when hunting new terrain that I've never laid eyes on during daylight to range landmarks before I start calling.
Makes perfect sense. I’m in Kansas so the opportunity for a longer shot exists. But I’m more of a “the closer the better” kind of hunter so I’d prefer a closer shot if all possible. I suppose another factor is how flat shooting the rifle I’m using is too. That might make a 0-300 yard shot simple if it’s flat shooting.

Makes perfect sense. I’m in Kansas so the opportunity for a longer shot exists. But I’m more of a “the closer the better” kind of hunter so I’d prefer a closer shot if all possible. I suppose another factor is how flat shooting the rifle I’m using is too. That might make a 0-300 yard shot simple if it’s flat shooting.
yeah i think a flat shooting caliber is a must when targeting coyotes with thermal. I personally have mine on .224 valkryie and Anything over 300 is long shot with thermal.

WMDM

Lil-Rokslider
I would be hard pressed to buy one without LRF especially starting out! The #1 question at night is "how far?". If you get one please give a review.

I've owned 4 different models and still looking for a good one. Each switch I thought I was upgrading but my last two have been utterly worthless.

Pulsar LRF = good to modest ranges
SilencerCo Radius = worked pretty good
(Not produced any more/bulky)
NVision XRF = junk, never worked
Iray IRL 1000 = junk, never worked

Split toe

WKR
I think if you can afford it, get LRF. Judging distance at night with thermal is hard. I have the Halo XRF and LRF on it is phenomenal. I have ranged things out to 1800yards with it.

I think if you can afford it, get LRF. Judging distance at night with thermal is hard. I have the Halo XRF and LRF on it is phenomenal. I have ranged things out to 1800yards with it.
I'm amazed how the XRF's vary. One guy (you) gets one that works phenomenal and the next guy has sent his back 4 times and it still doesn't work. Hopefully they get the problems worked out.

WMDM

Lil-Rokslider
I'm amazed how the XRF's vary. One guy (you) gets one that works phenomenal and the next guy has sent his back 4 times and it still doesn't work. Hopefully they get the problems worked out.
Agreed, I'm amazed companies can put out products like this, demand the prices they do and get away with it. The problems should have been worked out long before they took anyone's money.

satchamo

WKR
Rumor has it Bering has the super hogster and yoter coming with LRF this summer - I’d hold out for one…

I’ll probably be jumping on a super yoter with LRF

ccampff

Lil-Rokslider
With coyotes it's easier to estimate range with time behind the gun because most are similar in size. With hogs its a crap shoot. Could be a 200lb pig at 250 yards or a 100lb pig at 100 yards. Tough to distinguish even with 640 resolution.

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the same boat - looking to get into the thermal game and I think a LRF would be a great addition. I'm hesitant though with the mixed reviews for some on the market (Pulsar and NVision). Our ranch in Wyoming has a lot of wide open areas, so I feel a LRF would be a necessity. If I was hunting pastures or other areas with known distances (fences or treelines), I would probably go without a LRF.

JM-Ascent

FNG
One option is the IRay Rico it is sold without the range finder but you can add one to it anytime you want. If you buy a good thermal you should be able to identify, as in know what animal it is out past 350/400 even if thermals are new to you.

WMDM

Lil-Rokslider
One option is the IRay Rico it is sold without the range finder but you can add one to it anytime you want. If you buy a good thermal you should be able to identify, as in know what animal it is out past 350/400 even if thermals are new to you.
I'd strongly caution again against Iray. The Iray IRL 1000 LRF is a joke.

I agree a good thermal should be able to ID an animal past 350/400 but my Rico won't do it.

JM-Ascent

FNG
I'd strongly caution again against Iray. The Iray IRL 1000 LRF is a joke.

I agree a good thermal should be able to ID an animal past 350/400 but my Rico won't do it.
What Rico are you using? The RH50 will do it all day, I have heard that the LRF can be tricky to get lined up but there is ways of doing it.

WMDM

Lil-Rokslider
What Rico are you using? The RH50 will do it all day, I have heard that the LRF can be tricky to get lined up but there is ways of doing it.
RH50 and it not only will not do it all day, it won't do it at night either!

The LRF is easiest lined up with the visible laser and a partner down range. My laser is spot on at 100 yards, doesn't work for squat.

Last edited:

JM-Ascent

FNG
RH50 and it not only will not do it all day, it won't do it at night either!

The LRF is easiest lined up with the visible laser and a partner down range. My laser is spot on at 100 yards, doesn't work for squat.
You might have a bad one then, sounds like you might need to send it back, mine does a really good job, I will DM you some videos.