Thermal optics suggestions

SDHunter44

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to get into thermal for coyote hunting. Seems like the consensus is to get a really nice scanner and the scope could be a little more budget since you aren’t always looking through it?

What are some go to brands and is it the same brands between scanner and scope? How much should I expect to spend to get a good scanner and scope? I do hunt pretty wide open country so I can see a long ways, but shooting at night I won’t shoot as far as I would/ could during the day.

Any other advice on someone just getting into thermal?

Edited to add: I am a military vet so if anyone knows of good companies that have a veteran discount that would also be helpful info.

Dented

WKR
My first purchase was a scanner. My first step was to watch and read everything I could on the subject.

Then I called these guys and had a long talk about what I was doing, where I was doing it, what I was using and what I could afford. They made recommendations that came in significantly under my budget, and I'm thrilled. That was over a year ago.

Highly suggest checking out Bering optics. I run a super hogster a3 and absolutely love it. They just came out with a new scope with a built in rangefinder and it’s top notch. Agm fusion scanner if I had to choose one. I have compared my super hogster to several other 384 and it’s a noticeable difference how clear my Bering is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kkp005

WKR
I’ve owned or used just about all of the thermals out today on the commercial market. I’m currently using Iray Rico mk1 (640 resolution) and an iray bolt tl35 scope (384 resolution) . The iray bolts are great for the money.
If I was to do it again I’d get a 640 res dedicated scanner and then a 384 iray bolt on top of my rifle . Like mentioned above, the guys at outdoor legacy gear are honest and trustworthy. Give them a call .

Here’s a video of a coyote I shot with the iray bolt tl35 on top of my 6creed

satchamo

WKR
For scopes, Iray all day long.

I’ve owned all major brands and cannot recommend a brand ahead of iray. Their 384 is clearer than any others. I personally run the RL42 which is a 4x base mag and it honestly looks borderline 640. Add on lrf is a great option as well. Check out the bolt or the g series as well. Best 384 scopes by alot.

Bering is another great thermal. It’s hard to beat the super hogster as an entry scope. You could easily scan and shoot with the same scope if you buy a good Mount. I personally used the SH for a season. No complaints other than the crappy battery option (have to use an external pack or buy the battery cover extension.

Agm is meh. They’re very entry level and I can’t recommend them. Their image quality is just not as good as the 2 mentioned above. But they do have some attractive price points. Now scanner wise, agm does offer good options.

Pulsar…… everyone has a hard on for pulsar. I owned the xq50 and I hated it. The image quality lacked detail. The detection range was easily 100 yards less than that of a super hogster and probably 200 yards less than any iray. The lrf unit wouldn’t work below 50 degrees for me. Does pulsar make a “premium” look and experience? Sure. But their support is garbage and their scopes can’t compete with iray (or even Bering). Now if we’re talking scanners, my tone changes because pulsar makes the best scanner in the helion xp50.

satchamo

WKR
Also I’m just gonna say this - I’d take the outdoor legacy guys with a grain of salt. They haven’t touched a scope that’s bad and I get it - they are selling scopes. But they ranked the. Xq50 the best 384 last year and that scope is a hot pile of dogshit. They lost me there. But again, they aren’t going to rag on anything. It’s bad business. They have some good info on scopes tho so I’m not saying don’t ignore them…. Just maybe ignore the top this or that videos

Travis at Santa clause optics will shoot you straight and he’s killed more coyotes than parvo. He sells what he shoots and is extremely helpful.