Thermals and their impact on approach

Ripnbst

FNG
Ok everyone, brand new member here. Went elk hunting out in Colorado once last year and I am hooked. I am going Mule Deer hunting in Wyoming this year with a buddy who is also a RS member.

Been into firearms since I turned 21 and I am an adult onset hunter with a very recent foray into Bow huting. So, please forgive my ignorance but I have to ask to learn right?

I hear people talk about "thermals" all the time. What's the deal? When it increases in temperature then your scent will likely be pulled up a hill? My thinking here is things tend to rise or expand when warming so is the same true with scent? If it cools down then your scent will fall downward into a canyon or draw?

I am just guessing here based on the context that I've heard it talked about in and generally what I understand about the world. Any further explanation or clarification anyone can offer would be much appreciated. Also, just like you play the wind in your approach to game how would one "Play the thermals" in taking them into account in how you'd approach game?

TIA - Ripnbst

Poser

WKR
As far as thermal tactics, be below animals when the thermals are dropping (cold) and above them when they are rising (warm).

Typically they fall early morning and late evening and rise during the day with the sun hitting the hills or valley floor gets goofy with cloud cover and standing water like ponds and such

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Werty

WKR
You have thermals as well as prevailing winds. I seen one side of a ridge is going up the other side going down and the prevailing wind going another. In my experience wind will screw you over more so than anything else.

Marble

WKR
Thermals to me are more reliable than prevailing wind, but it's not for sure. There are too many variables to ever really predict from day to day, hour to hour, what will happen. Each play is a gamble.

Throw in a storm and its it's like the wind moved in three circles all at once.

You can fool animals with noise and hide from their sight, but you cannot fool an animal's nose.

Play the wind.

Everytime

Fairly easy to play the thermals game in my experience and sounds like you have a good idea of it. Trickiest thing that I’ve found is when you are down in a drainage with water, even just a little trickle. Wind seems to always swirl