Thermarest Xlite?

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I blew one of the baffles out in my Exped this weekend and when I went to return it at REI...they were out! The only thing they had remotely close was a Thermarest Xlite and I have no friends that have used this before.

Anyone have any thoughts on this pad? Just curious before I begin the punishing:)

It has an R value of 3.2, 2.5 inches thick and weighs 12 oz's @ 20x72"

I blew one of the baffles out in my Exped this weekend and when I went to return it at REI...they were out! The only thing they had remotely close was a Thermarest Xlite and I have no friends that have used this before.

Anyone have any thoughts on this pad? Just curious before I begin the punishing:)

It has an R value of 3.2, 2.5 inches thick and weighs 12 oz's @ 20x72"

Jeez fatty.... I'd worry more about why the baffles blew out in the first place! ;) Ha jk honestly it sounds like a nice pad! Good luck with the torture testing.

Mike

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have a season on my Neoair ... maybe 20ish nights. Switched to the heavier pad when it got really cold.

I really like it. I didn't really notice the noise. It was cushy and surprisingly warm.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I had the Neo, but not the Xlite. I'm hoping the bottom of my bivy is enough protection for it, but time will tell.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I had the Neo, but not the Xlite. I'm hoping the bottom of my bivy is enough protection for it, but time will tell.

Is the material a lot different? I was under the impression it was a minor redesign. My pad has been way more durable than I thought it would be when I first got it.

Did you have trouble with the Neoair?

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It didn't make it through the first night, but I had one of the early prototypes....with that and the noise of the Neo, I kinda stayed away from it, but the weight of the Xlite was worth another try!

cmeier117

WKR
I am curious I went with the Neo Air all season because it felt more durable and R value of 5. But the xlite is light!!

phil

FNG
Aron, I don't know if the xtherm is anything like the xlite,but it has been a winner for me. phil

Last edited:
I started working out more, that way I can just carry a twin bed mattress with me on my hunts. Can't beat the rest you get on one of them compared to all the pads out there. Yeah, the weight can be a bit much at times, but if you hit the gym hard you hardly even notice it.

Aron, just give it a try before you rule it out man. I've seen you carry much more than a wimpy ole mattress, you can do it!

Yukon

FNG
I recommend the newer Neo Air X-therm. If you can get past the price tag its hard to beat it. Weights 430 grams. (just under a pound) and has an R value of 5.7 . I am a side sleeper and the Neo Air line is the first set of mattresses I can sleep on without having an ache in my shoulders in the morning. The material seems weak but has held up well for me so far and is one of my favourite pieces of gear. i also bring a short foam bad for sitting on which I throw under the thermarest especially if the ground is really rough.

kaboku68

WKR
I would look at the 40th Anniversary Thermarest Prolite. It packs as small as a prolite 4 weighs about 1lb and is almost 3 inches think. I talked to
the sales rep from Thermarest for Alaska. Brian Erickson from Anchorage and he said that it had Neoair internal technology and Prolite 4 exterior that is
Pretty durable. I think that it is a case where one brilliant designer got it right. Just my view but if you are shopping pads look at it.

Sincerely,
Thomas

I have the new X-Lite and have used it on two back pack hunting trips so far, spring bear for 7 days and spring turkey for another 7 day hunt, both in Hells Canyon. This mattress is great not as noisy as the older neo-air, good r-value and super lite, highly recommended.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Isn't the Xlite only 2 oz lighter than the reg Neo Air??? Just curious on that. Probably gonna stick with my shorty 9 oz Neo Air for the time being. Knock on wood but I haven't had my Neo Airs leak on my yet.....but thats always subject to change haha.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So far the pad is doing well! It hasn't seen any hard use in the field, but here are a few key things I like and dislike about it compared to the Exped Syn7

1) The Xlite is sticky and that makes for a much better nights sleep if I'm on a bit of a hill side as I always slid off the 7

2) The X is 4 oz's lighter than the 7 with a slightly higher R value

3) I like the horizontal baffles on the X and I seem to "dip" less with those compared to the vertical baffles on the 7. It also takes less air (the X) to keep me off the ground because of the horizontal baffles.

4) The noise of the 7 compared to the X is much less, but the X is much less noisy than the standard Neo.

5) I can't do anything but guess on durability, but my guess is the 7 is more durable.

6) Price point is close, but the X wins out by $15....ish

My 7 had seen many nights in the mountains (80-90), so it had proven itself for sure. I will keep everyone posted on the X and how it performs over the next couple months.