Theron Wapiti ED-APO

Has anybody used these? I don't have a decent pair of bino's, and cannot justify spending $500+ on bino's right now. My wife and I are moving to Missoula Montana in August, I will hunt antelope this year, and scout for elk/muley's for 2013 (can't afford out of state hunt at this point) I also am looking into hopefully a used Stone Glacier or MR Crew Cab pack, need good boots and would REALLY like some KUIU gear. For glass I am thinking 8x42's or 10x42's and have heard some good things about the Theron optic's, and also the Zen Ray ED3's or Vortex Vultures (if you can find them) This is my 1st post, really liking the website! I should mention that I bowhunt exclusively, and with a recurve so I won't have the need for a scope.

shaun

WKR
Zeiss Terras! I checked them out last weekend and they are killer especially for the price

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to Rokslide, Jacob!

I reviewed the Wapiti APO a couple years ago. It was a very good binocular for the money. However I prefer the wider FOV of the Zen Ray ED3, or Vortex Talon HD. Vortex has the best warranty and CS in the business, IMO, and has the edge when that is considered.

I haven't seen the Terras yet, but the specs look decent, and Zeiss is a great company too.

Another Bino to consider would be the Vanguard Endeavor ed. I've never looked through it, but I've read some good reviews that say it can't be beat for the money.

OP
Jacob Chapman
Thanks for all the recommendations so far! I should mention my wife and I are still in college, hence the low $ dilemma haha!

Big Sky

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the Zen Ray ed3 while still in college. It was probably one of the best buys that I made.

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair and I like them allot. Very clear and crisp. I chose them over the Zen Ray Ed2s a couple years ago. Bitterroot is right the FOV is smaller but it is clear and crisp edge to edge as the ED2 was a little soft at the edges. I would categorize the differences as preference rather than performance. I think the Therons or ED3 would be the best bang for your buck in the $300ish category and if you could get a deal on either that would probably be the decision maker. I recently bought my father in-law a pair of ED3s on sale for less than $300.
If you really want to know more, the owner of Theron is a regular over on Hunttalk.....his name is schmalts on that board. At the time I bought mine, I believe both binos were made at the same Chinese factory. Also note that the Theron warranty is not a lifetime no fault like say a Vortex product.

The new Zeiss probably deserve a look in this $ category.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
BB you still using those SLCs

I still have them, but after testing the Meopta Meostar HDs, the Meoptas are getting more of my time, and I decided I will not be sending them back to Meopta. I will finish that review soon.

I am kind of heavy on 10x40ish bins right now, with an unused in-the-box Zen Ray ED3 10x43 in the closet as well. Perhaps I should consider selling something to make room for the Meoptas?

Floorguy

WKR
Thanks for all the recommendations so far! I should mention my wife and I are still in college, hence the low $ dilemma haha!

Nothing wrong with being on a budget. Just make sure instead of getting something because it fits in your price range that it is actually worth the money you are paying for it. That's why I suggested checking out the Zeiss terras the 8x42's msrp at $349 and the 10x42s at $399. I can't fathom one of the big 3 in optics coming out with anything that would diminish their reputation. I have only seen Theron mentioned a couple times. I have used Nikon monarch 10x42s that my wife bought me after I got my BA and they have worked for me. A lot of people have been happy with Vortex.

dotman

WKR
Also don't forget demos, great savings when you go this route. Two sites I watch a ton are swfa and cameralandny.

OP
Jacob Chapman
Thanks for all the recommendations so far, I am most likely going to wait until I get out to Missoula to purchase, I just want to have a good base down as far as exactly what I am looking for. I am not certain, but I don't believe there are any stores nearby that carry the Terra's but I will have to find out.

OP
Jacob Chapman
Do you guys prefer 8x or 10x? I will have a spotting scope as well, thinking the Vortex Diamondback 20-60x80 angled spotter.

OP
Jacob Chapman
Makes sense, more magnification. I am really thinking about getting the Vortex Vulture's either 8x56 (7mm exit pupil should have great low light capabilities!!!) or the 10x56. Both priced very well and have an awesome warranty. I am beyond excited to get to MT, my wife and I are trying to plan a long 4 day weekend where we can get out there to hopefully find a place to rent until we decide where exactly we want to live! Nice to hear from guys actually using the optics in conditions that are meant to test them!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
56mm glass is big stuff to haul around.

Many prefer 8s because they have a wider FOV, are easier to get a steady handheld view, and have an exit pupil advantage over similarly configured 10s.

Generally 10s show more detail with a steady hold.

OP
Jacob Chapman
The vulture's are a bit heavy (39.2 oz) for the 8x56, but my recurve with quiver and 5 broadhead tipped arrows weighs less than half of my old compound, so that really helps with the weight problem :cool: I think I am sold on the Vortex, a wide range of bino's for different price points, and the best warranty I have found, plus I really like the way they look haha! I would like to be able to afford the Razor HD spotter and their top of the line bino's, but the $ I would save on buying still high quality optics vs the top of the line gear would easily pay for a nice Kifaru, or a good pair of boots and almost half of KUIU's line ;) I also am big into scouting (thanks Dad) and am very interested in the digiscoping capabilities of the spotter and a nice digital camera, plus I need something to take nice pics of my fly rod adventures to send to my dad and grandpa.