These 2020 deer are patronizing me

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
Outing 1: Private Land (Location A)
I was sitting on the ground, leaning against a tree in a known hot spot. A decent buck slowly walked broadside across my entire shooting area, left to right. He paused several times. But he was at 65 yards and my bow is only sighted to 50 yards.

Outing 2: Private Land (Location A)
Same ground setup as "outing 1". A decent size doe comes out of the woods and passes in front of me, broadside, at 11 yards while feeding. I let her go because I didn't want to blow the spot up in hopes the aforementioned buck would come out. Later on I saw the buck but way out past 50 yards. I couldn't get a range because he was back in the trees. Then he wandered off into the sunset. As last light was approaching 2 doe appeared in front of me at 85 yards, feeding. They kept getting closer, continuing to feed, but when they got to ~65 yards they split off and casually disappear into the woods.

Now I regret letting that doe go. Nothing gets a pass this season anymore.

Outing 3: Public Land
I spooked a bedded doe (unintentionally) and when she jumped up she froze in front of me ~7 yards. Perfect broadside shot. I raised my crossbow and right as I felt the trigger touch the tip of my finger she bolted.

Outing 4: Private Land (Location B)
Arrived ~3:00 PM. Sat until last light. Didn't see anything. Spoke to the landowner on my way out and he said that he looked out the back window and saw deer out there at 1:00 PM.

Outing 5: Private Land (Location B)
I'm in a ladder stand that's on a pretty thick tree (about 3' in diameter). I heard footsteps behind me on my left side. I slowly leaned and turned my head to the left to try and see around the tree, and there was a doe, broadside. But I am a left-handed shooter and the deer is behind me, to the left. Imagine that for a second. Having to somehow reposition to shoot around this massive tree. Well I tried. I didn't spook her but by the time I was able to reposition my body and lifted up the rangefinder she was done hanging out and walked off, behind me, never to return.

It's like the deer are doing it on purpose. I hope to turn the tables on them at some point this season.

Last edited:

LostArra

WKR
I've done the same as Outing 2 and always regret it.
Mature does cause me more headaches than any benefit as a living "decoy".

Outing 5: My hunting buddy shoots a crossbow and practices left handed a few shots per session. It paid off two years ago when he shot a doe in a similar situation as yours.

OP
Yard Candy

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
My hunting buddy shoots a crossbow and practices left handed a few shots per session

That's a great idea! That never even crossed my mind. As a lefty, I'll start learning to shoot right-handed as well.

Opening day of archery, my ladder stand seat wasn’t hitting the rails correctly and I didn’t notice, seat fell through and I had to get it right from the ladder. Look over and 4 does staring at me. 2 more behind the tree. 6 point walked behind me on the ladder. All while I was standing on the ladder!