They are actually goats

Poser

WKR
d111fe341a6f4f2ac6d7648b284d935f.jpg

939e723c75b16c5d4fadc0f495c0f63e.jpg

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I’ve seen elk and moose in some of the nastiest places. It’s crazy how well they get around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
One of my biggest bulls in montana Was living here in November They can literally live anywhere sometimes the worst place is best look close and you can see him piled up a place I never have seen anyone 🤙9235B050-62DD-409B-8605-AF7D6214D573.jpeg4843B1C0-0ECD-4A72-B056-23EFE988862E.jpeg53FB1855-D539-4DC5-A1D7-6546D50696D1.jpeg

Yeah I remember climbing up into some skree cliffs to glass a basin; started hearing the sound of something on rocks above me so I reflexively grab my pistol wondering wtf it could be, half expecting a cougar.

I edge to the rock and slowly stick my head over it, turns out to be a small 2 pt in velvet, me and him looking at each other from about 7 yds. Dude came cruising out of the cliffs; just another reason to always keep an arrow knocked, no matter where you find yourself glassing.

Wrench

WKR
I've watched elk cross some of those boulder fields where they took steps on a knee to get where a hoof could touch again.

Pretty good thinking because no sane person would shoot them there.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
I've watched elk cross some of those boulder fields where they took steps on a knee to get where a hoof could touch again.

Pretty good thinking because no sane person would shoot them there.

Wow. I have followed some game trail full of elk sign over 13k passes that were, as far as talus goes, about as sketchy as it gets. I wished that I was wearing a helmet and two hunters would certainly kill each other if they didn’t go one at a time and stay out of each other’s fall lines. How a herd of 700+ lbs animals could not cause rockslides and wipe out the herd, get their ankles trapped under shifting boulders etc is beyond me. I’m sure these scenarios happen from time to time, but given the severity of the terrain, it’s amazing that avalanche chutes are clogged with elk bones.

IdahoHntr

WKR
Watched a bull cut above some sheep last fall. Thought for sure he wasn't making it across that snowy cliff face, but he made it look easy. They sure are a cool animal.

Gapmaster

WKR
You ain’t seen nothing until you’ve seen one walk down a log!! Wish I’d had a camera handy. Thought it was the tallest elk ever until I saw she was walking on a log about 2’ in the air. Now granted it was probably only a few steps but still. Craziness

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
Another rokslider and I were out in 3rd rifle chasing mule deer last year. Got in to a pretty nasty hillside covered in snow and down timber. There were elk tracks literally walking on top of one down tree to the next. It was a sobering experience.

Gapmaster

WKR
Another rokslider and I were out in 3rd rifle chasing mule deer last year. Got in to a pretty nasty hillside covered in snow and down timber. There were elk tracks literally walking on top of one down tree to the next. It was a sobering experience.

They were being sneaky sneaky