They tried to lure me in.

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
This weekend I went to Scheels in Springfield Il, to look through a pair of Swaro SLC's. I looked through the EL's and the SLC's in 10x42. I really noticed the fish eye affect of the EL's and have decided on the SLC's. Knowing I was there to only handle them and check them out, the salesman was trying to sell me pretty hard. He said, get our credit card and get points, as he explained to me how the points worked, I realized they are only worth about 1cent each. Then It was the price match gimmick. He said he could price match any store online or advertised ad. I quickly showed them a price from an online vendor and he went to fetch his manager. I showed the manager the advertised price and he said that the best he could do was a $100 gift card. No price match. I said the sales tax is 10.85% here. That wont even cover the tax. I expained to them that I could purchase them new online for $1,xxx and free ship NO TAX. Well, he must be a do gooder because I got ear full of how I should report the purchase of online when filing my taxes next year, and so on and so forth. I said ok thanks for letting me look at the binos and was on my way.

Scheels was cool when it was a little sporting goods store next to the hardware down the street. When they decided to stock everything at full MSRP and throw up a ferris wheel in every store, it became a place to eyeball stuff to buy online.

OP
324matt

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
Scheels was cool when it was a little sporting goods store next to the hardware down the street. When they decided to stock everything at full MSRP and throw up a ferris wheel in every store, it became a place to eyeball stuff to buy online.
Exactly.

rustyN

Lil-Rokslider
I was thinking about trading in an unused shotgun so I could get some archery equipment last month. Went in, they offered me $450. Not a horrible offer, but wanted to think about it. Went back in a week later and they offered me $265. WTF. When I told them I got an offer of $450 a week prior the didn't seem to care.

I sold it 3 hours later privately for $700 and emailed corporate about the BS they pulled. They mailed me a $100 gift card to "earn me back as a customer".

I bought some stuff I need with the gift card because I'm not made of money, but don't plan to spend money at scheels unless absolutely necessary.

*I should not, they didn't really offer a very good explanation as to the huge different in quoted price on the gun.