They were "woke" back in the 1950's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I sometimes like to watch a channel called "GRIT." It is mostly old westerns from the 50's and 60's. Classics, you might say. The old westerns that most kids in the 50's and 60's grew up watching. You know, John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Randolph Scott and the like.

Tonight they were showing a film called "Reprisal." It's about a half-breed (half Native American, half white) fighting for his lawful land.

As the film ended, all I could think is that if that same film were made today, a lot of people on the far right would be criticizing it for being "woke" and dismissing it as left-wing tripe.

I can actually think of quite a few 50's and 60's westerns that would probably fit that description.

Anyway, just something I noticed.

Mike7

WKR
I assume that you are trying to be provocative, though without any basis to your assessment?... or is it possible that people still just don't get it? You know the whole woke thing? I used to ignore the delusional Megan Rapinoe bullies of the world, but find myself wanting to mock their distortions more and more, just because they can be so dangerous.

Woke=special rights or privileges=bad for society=bad for morale and initiative=take from one to give to others=permanent under class.

Non-woke=old western movies trying to depict a moral framework that is even more important than those in power or with a badge= individual rights, not special rights=hard work=charity.

Woke would try to segregate said "1/2 breed", and treat him/her/they as a victim, or something less than an individual with "equal" rights and opportunity.

mwebs

WKR
Not comparable to the gender fluidity of today’s woke crowd, but I get what your getting at. Today’s woke crowd is grasping at straws with their problems with society because they haven’t had to actually deal with real issues… They’re problems are not getting enough free money from the government and Twitter not banning more people that don’t agree with them. On both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.