They're never perfect, right?

What is going on Rokslide, hope everyone is staying healthy and excited for the new hunting season upon us. So I ended up getting a SG Sky 5900 with lid last year and used it for a two hunts. Great pack, slot better than the badlands clutch I was using. But I do miss all the pockets and bags the clutch had.

So here's the question what have you guys done to make your pack perfect! I know Kifaru, EXO, SG, Mystery Ranch are some of the top brands in bags for what we do, but I know they're not 100% perfect, are they?

Personally I've had to stitch a velcro loop to my hydro bag/sleeve so that it doesnt drop and ball up on the bottom of my SG.

What have you guys done to your bags to make them that much better?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Rokwiia

WKR
I was fortunate to be able to get my SO 6,300 the way I wanted it (and the way it came) --- no zippers and just water pockets with the main bag. The goods news is people can get their SO bag customized.

I'm not sure I'd want to do an after-market rearrangement of my backpack. I'd sell it then order one built the way you want it.

Care to share pictures and specs? Price, too, if you don't mind.

Thank you.

I’ll have to take some pictures of it later, I don’t have any. It’s roughly a 1900 cubic inch main bag with a 1200 cubic inch snow collar extension. It has slot pockets on each side, external water pockets tall enough for a 48oz Nalgene with pass through straps. On the back it has two tall pockets, big enough for a spotter and a tripod. A meat shelf rounds it out. I can add my lid to it and it also has straps on the bottom to attach items as necessary. It fits nice and snug on my mystery ranch nice frame. It’s roughly 21” tall, 15” wide and 6” deep.

Yes my pack is perfect ;) I recently took the bag off the frame and put on a new frame. Now it's more perfect :)

Sewed loops in the end of my straps so that I could run velcro strap keepers in them and roll my excess strap material up, and also took the string zipper pulls that SG uses from the factory off and replaced them with the little plastic half circle ones.

mlgc20

WKR
My overnight pack is an EXO. But, I added a holster from Alaska Guide Creations that I put on the hipbelt. And I use Kifaru UL pullouts on the inside to keep it organized.

My daypack is actually my ultralight backpacking pack that I had custom made (Zimmerbuilt). It is less than 30 ounces including a UL frame. I got the pockets where I wanted them. Had a very tall side pocket for fishing rod/tripod/tent poles/etc. And I had some stretch mesh on the back for items I wanted easy access to or putting wet gear to dry out. And I had a removable bear spray holster added to one of the shoulder straps.

Added a pals matrix and tab loops at the top of my AMR and it’s become perfect. No other changes necessary for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there is always a compromise!

kifaru is cool in the regard of how custom you can make them with all of the accessories and attachment points... I have not owned one, but appreciate what they are (will own one some day, i'm curious and that doesn't go away 😉 )

I switch packs around a lot, but am happy now with my MR pop up and EXO, both are excellent for their niche, and EXO packs are just so comfortable when considering their capability (on my back)

recently got a Seek Outside peregrine, and love the layout and size, but just don't like the fit.... most love them and tout their comfort, but packs are like boots, very individual fit.

I have accepted there is no "perfect" pack for many reasons, so I have it narrowed to two that suit my needs well enough and fit me well.... after using lots of different packs, that's my perspective

Paladin

Elk Masher Wannabe
I like the EXO bags and the frame seems to fit me better than the MR and Kifaru Ive had in the past. As others on here can attest, the K2 belt was not perfect so I replaced it with a Kifaru belt and it is a plush ride now. Had to modify the EXO belt pockets to reattach and they turned out great. I liked the Kuiu bags because they were so light and the frame was comfortable to me but it squeaked. I wish I had held on to a few of the bags to see if I could modify and fit to the EXO frame.

tttoadman

WKR
Primary Pack: Frankenpack Special
1. SG krux frame with aluminum curved stays

2. SG terminus bag. 6000ci, Big-ass simple bag.

3. Kifaru grabit,

4. Kifaru belt with all the pockets and nalgene bottle

5. Lids: Kifaru std lid with either a large belt pouch or a L#L#11, or a Sherman Pocket. I will use the SG lid for day trips sometimes because it is nice and streamlined for just a few things. I use the kifaru lid and pockets because no matter how much i crank down the straps, these pockets are always loose and don't smash anything.

Western OR shit weather pack:
1. SO divide 4500 ci,

2. I transfer all the belt items directly to the Divide.

3. Because this is my wet weather bag, I just pull my lid pockets off and shove em in the top of the dry bag.

4. I don't want Kevin to throw up in his mouth, but I cut the big side pockets and the netting pocket off clean. It is nothing but a giant dry bag mounted to a frame.

Both: I have the SG gun holder on a quick attach buckle. I just hook the buckle to whatever frame I am using. when not in use, it just goes in the bottom of the bag.

I actually like the load hauling of the SO better than the SG. The SO is my meat hauler.

I know this is likely more than you were looking for. The point is, don't worry about mixing things up and cannibalizing a little here and there. Not to sound like a DBag, but if we are dumb enough to pay the cost for these high dollar pack systems, we can afford to play around and experiment with them too.

Best thing I did was stop looking and just run what Iv got, because it works.

Lots of guys on the never ending quest. If it works why fix it 8 times a year....

That's exactly how I feel. "If it ain't broke". However, my current pack that ain't broke is fixing to go into backup status to make room for a new pack very soon :)

I’m very happy with the layout of my KUIU Ultra 5500. I don’t care for the draw string snow collar closures, so I’m converting it to a roll top instead. I also prefer the horseshoe zips rather than the side zips, but it’s not a big deal. It just requires putting the most needed stuff on top. The only other thing I’m not a fan of are their wire gate quick release buckles. If they are near the bottom of the pack they tend to pop open when setting it down. I may just add some small zip ties to the ones that I won’t be removing in the field.

The Exo K3 4800 looks perfect for my needs, but I’m not sure it’s worth the jump.

Primary Pack: Frankenpack Special
1. SG krux frame with aluminum curved stays

2. SG terminus bag. 6000ci, Big-ass simple bag.

3. Kifaru grabit,

4. Kifaru belt with all the pockets and nalgene bottle

5. Lids: Kifaru std lid with either a large belt pouch or a L#L#11, or a Sherman Pocket. I will use the SG lid for day trips sometimes because it is nice and streamlined for just a few things. I use the kifaru lid and pockets because no matter how much i crank down the straps, these pockets are always loose and don't smash anything.

Western OR shit weather pack:
1. SO divide 4500 ci,

2. I transfer all the belt items directly to the Divide.

3. Because this is my wet weather bag, I just pull my lid pockets off and shove em in the top of the dry bag.

4. I don't want Kevin to throw up in his mouth, but I cut the big side pockets and the netting pocket off clean. It is nothing but a giant dry bag mounted to a frame.

Both: I have the SG gun holder on a quick attach buckle. I just hook the buckle to whatever frame I am using. when not in use, it just goes in the bottom of the bag.

I actually like the load hauling of the SO better than the SG. The SO is my meat hauler.

I know this is likely more than you were looking for. The point is, don't worry about mixing things up and cannibalizing a little here and there. Not to sound like a DBag, but if we are dumb enough to pay the cost for these high dollar pack systems, we can afford to play around and experiment with them too.
certainly don't sound like a Dbag, sounds like you are willing to compromise stock looks for practicality that fits what you do, that's very un-Dbag

That's exactly how I feel. "If it ain't broke". However, my current pack that ain't broke is fixing to go into backup status to make room for a new pack very soon :)
that's a very logical ideal, i'm guilty of wanting to try everything wondering if i'm missing out on "the one" I ended up with an EXO a few years ago and loved it, and now I have come full circle. still want to try a kifaru, because they are so highly touted by many, and their ruggedness is appealing to me, but I will not get rid of my EXO to do it.... I would be amazed to find a pack more comfortable (to me) than the EXO platform, and they are a great company to support that gives their consumer a very high confidence in their investment.... when EXO stepped up like they did on their K3 frame issue, I knew I would be back in one sooner than later (had to make a quick SO detour, which is a great pack, just doesn't fit my body as well how I wear my pack)

the problem is, there are so many great pack companies right now, super legit, quality packs from EXO, to Seek Outside, to Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch.... I have worn those all besides the SG, but my kifaru experience is limited to packing one bull out with an older frame, which was a good experience, just not a stand out.... the pack also wasn't mine, so the fit was good, but not ideal.

too many good options.... some folks will add kuiu to their list, but it was my least favorite hunting pack when it came to a heavy-ish load, I would put horn hunter full curl ahead of kuiu in weight hauling capability, but I understand packs are like boots, and me not liking the kuiu doesn't make it a bad pack, but they aren't for me.

I think when my pop up dies, i'll get a kifaru stryker on a 22" tactical frame for day hunting roosies, that will give me a feel for the kifaru platform.

the kifaru items I do have are awesome, and i'm buying more stuff (lost park parka) from them, can't beat their quality.... been shopping for a puffy, and after getting a slick bag, the LPP is an easy choice

I want to support all of these great USA made companies that support what we do and make great products.

that's a very logical ideal, i'm guilty of wanting to try everything wondering if i'm missing out on "the one" I ended up with an EXO a few years ago and loved it, and now I have come full circle. still want to try a kifaru, because they are so highly touted by many, and their ruggedness is appealing to me, but I will not get rid of my EXO to do it.... I would be amazed to find a pack more comfortable (to me) than the EXO platform, and they are a great company to support that gives their consumer a very high confidence in their investment.... when EXO stepped up like they did on their K3 frame issue, I knew I would be back in one sooner than later (had to make a quick SO detour, which is a great pack, just doesn't fit my body as well how I wear my pack)

the problem is, there are so many great pack companies right now, super legit, quality packs from EXO, to Seek Outside, to Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch.... I have worn those all besides the SG, but my kifaru experience is limited to packing one bull out with an older frame, which was a good experience, just not a stand out.... the pack also wasn't mine, so the fit was good, but not ideal.

too many good options.... some folks will add kuiu to their list, but it was my least favorite hunting pack when it came to a heavy-ish load, I would put horn hunter full curl ahead of kuiu in weight hauling capability, but I understand packs are like boots, and me not liking the kuiu doesn't make it a bad pack, but they aren't for me.

I think when my pop up dies, i'll get a kifaru stryker on a 22" tactical frame for day hunting roosies, that will give me a feel for the kifaru platform.

the kifaru items I do have are awesome, and i'm buying more stuff (lost park parka) from them, can't beat their quality.... been shopping for a puffy, and after getting a slick bag, the LPP is an easy choice

I want to support all of these great USA made companies that support what we do and make great products.

Yeah it's kinda like my bow(s). Did I need a new bow? Absolutely not. My D350 is a great bow that isn't done killing yet.

But I had an itch that only the SR6 could scratch. Turns out it's a great shooter as well. I should be set for a lifetime now with my packs and my bows. The 2 most important pieces in my hunting arsenal.

Yeah it's kinda like my bow(s). Did I need a new bow? Absolutely not. My D350 is a great bow that isn't done killing yet.

But I had an itch that only the SR6 could scratch. Turns out it's a great shooter as well. I should be set for a lifetime now with my packs and my bows. The 2 most important pieces in my hunting arsenal.
yeah, there is a lot of stuff like that in my world.... all I have ever done for recreation is fish and hunt, so that's where spare money goes.... I like trying new stuff, often to my own fault. with bows, I used to get a new bow, and stick with it a few years, as well as everything on it, and same arrow setups.... the confidence in familiarity is an overlooked advantage we can give ourselves...

then there is all of the "luxury" items like clothing and stuff.... I certainly don't "need" sitka or first lite, I did just fine before it was around, but I certainly wear it now, and will never go back to camo cotton cargo pants 😉

I am at least aware of these things, I want to get back to finding stuff I like and just running it, gaining familiarity, which in time equals confidence.

fishing stuff is the same, a 500 dollar rod doesn't catch me more fish, but I certainly enjoy using them rather than a 79$ rod, and when something piques my interest (nothing cheap ever does) I can't help it.

I see the same there, often times the "new and improved" isn't as good as the tried and true when dealing with equal levels of quality, and I find myself reverting back to the tried and true.... I will probably never change in that regard, but things like packs or bows.... or boots, sticking with what works well for you is often better than chasing the next new latest and greatest, it can effect your performance.

now I have entered the realm of single string bows, so familiarity is that much more of an asset..... new bows are pretty foreign for awhile, and I need to find one bow to settle on, one that fits well I shoot well.…. hopping around bows with trad bows for me isn't good.... and doing that with high end packs can get expensive.... so can bows. I just got a set of 800 dollar limbs to go on my 750 dollar riser.... I better like the damn thing, haha.