Thick ass puffy question

Who uses a really bulky puffy jacket? ThinkI’m of a super warm piece of static insulation, like the kind that is really too thick for wearing under anything like a kuiu super down pro or a Sitka kelvin down WS hoody.

i have a few puffy that I would call midweight - uncomphagre and a Sitka kelvin. My warmest jacket is a Patagonia synthetic puffy that weighs 2# and is like a walking sleeping bag. I rarely take it on backcountry trips because it is pretty bulky in addition to its weight. I was tempted by some of sales on the kelvin down WS hoody but the weight is about the same as my patagonia, although I imagine it blocks wind better. I was / am looking at the kuiu super down pro but they don’t have a solid in my size. There are a couple of options from RAB that I like.

So who runs one and what do you like and not like about them?

Sitka WS is many levels above the KUIU in warmth and wind protection, it's a no-brainer at the current blow out pricing of $199 just about everywhere. If you think the KUIU Super Down Pro is a big ass puffy you're mistaken, it's a light piece that doesn't compete if you're glassing stationary in legit cold and wind for any period of time.

If you want a solid color yet warm and lightweight/packable there’s a few options out there if camo isn’t a factor. Cost is another thing though.

Sitka WS is many levels above the KUIU in warmth and wind protection, it's a no-brainer at the current blow out pricing of $199 just about everywhere. If you think the KUIU Super Down Pro is a big ass puffy you're mistaken, it's a light piece that doesn't compete if you're glassing stationary in legit cold and wind for any period of time.
.... help me out..... where is it on sale for 199 so I can snag one.... or two

I have a Rab, can't remember what it's called, but it's 8 oz of high quality down. No box baffles, but I got a good deal on it, $200.

I wear it because it's quite warm for the weight. Really nice for late season glassing.

I picked up a Montbell alpine last year for sitting, glassing, ice fishing. Its 16oz, 7.1 oz of 800 fill, box baffles and packs down pretty small. Also only $300, made in Vietnam. I wear it over the top of everything once I get to where I'm going and I stay really warm, didn't get cold once. For static insulation down is the best way to go, light, compressible, and warm af.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Definitely look closely at the amount (and quality) of down. If the don’t list it, find out- if they won’t give the specifications- move on.

Generally “big” puffies are referred to as parkas/belay jackets- the devil is in the amount of fill comparing them, fabric second. Also look at length, a warm parka should be on the longer side for maximum warmth.

I get pretty nerdy about this stuff...here's a spreadsheet below that's really helped me quantify warmth and therefore value. There's a few notable jackets missing because they don't list the fill weight and therefore are out of contention for me and my numbers brain (looking at you, Firstlite Chamberlin). Hope this helps.

CompanyFill PowerFill Weight (oz)Total Weight (oz)CoatingWarmth Scale
Stone Glacier8505.311.8Pertex Quantum Shell4505
Feathered Friends Helios9007.818Pertex Endurance LT7020
Rab Positron Pro80010.627Pertex Quantum Pro8480
Montbell Permafrost Parka8009.525.730D Gore Windstopper7600
Mammut Meron IN9004.914.84410
Black Ovis Anchor Point Jacket8004.2123360
Stellar Equipment M Ultralight Down Hood 2.08505 (in XL)12HyperDRY4250
Kuiu Super Down Pro850513.4Quixdown4250
I currently have the WS and looking for something warmer. Here's a spreadsheet I cooked up that may help. The positron pro is on sale right now at backcountry for a freakin' steal.

j_volt

WKR
I love my Sitka Down WS Hoody. I run pretty hot especially when moving. When stopping to glass, I will throw it on and it really helps to retain my body heat. I run it a size up so I can put it on over everything (including my bino harness) and not have to take anything off.

trapperJ

Lil-Rokslider
Not down but definitely warm and wind proof would be Barneys Brooks Range jacket. Not the lightest and the e vent outer is a little noisy if you're a whitetail guy but man is it warm.

OP
Desk Jockey
Thanks for the feedback. i honestly am not likely to use this thing much but I have a Colorado and Wyoming trip coming up and it got me thinking my cold, cold weather back country game is a bit weak. i have midlayers and midweight puffies but not a real cold weather jacket. I had a northface nuptse jacket 1,000 years ago when I started hiking that was just the bomb for insulation. As close as you could come to crawling into a sleeping bag without actually crawling in a sleeping bag. I have in mind something lighter and more packable than my Patagonia parka/jacket At 32oz.

- The Kifare lost parka was on my radar but the specs put it close to my Patagonia and I have never see one in the wild to get a sense for it.

- @WeiserBucks thanks for the input on the kuiu. The super down pro had been what I was eyeing.
- the Sitka WS appeals to me but it is the same weight as my Patagonia and I am trying for a solid for multiuse.
- I have not been wowed by my recent first lite purchases so staying away from the chamberlain and I read a few reviews that tell me the stone glacier isnt what I want, so no Grumman.

I found a deal on a RAB positron in a color that isn’t too obnoxious and I am trying to decide between that and the Montbell alpine in black. I may order both and keep what I like.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. i honestly am not likely to use this thing much but I have a Colorado and Wyoming trip coming up and it got me thinking my cold, cold weather back country game is a bit weak. i have midlayers and midweight puffies but not a real cold weather jacket. I had a northface nuptse jacket 1,000 years ago when I started hiking that was just the bomb for insulation. As close as you could come to crawling into a sleeping bag without actually crawling in a sleeping bag. I have in mind something lighter and more packable than my Patagonia parka/jacket At 32oz.

- The Kifare lost parka was on my radar but the specs put it close to my Patagonia and I have never see one in the wild to get a sense for it.

- @WeiserBucks thanks for the input on the kuiu. The super down pro had been what I was eyeing.
- the Sitka WS appeals to me but it is the same weight as my Patagonia and I am trying for a solid for multiuse.

I found a deal on a RAB positron in a color that isn’t too obnoxious and I am trying to decide between that and the Montbell alpine in black. I may order both and keep what I like.
Kifaru runs sales every now and then on the LPP, thats how I picked mine up. Can't go wrong with it, but sounds like you have a lot of good options in mind.

Poser

WKR
I have a Feathered Friends Helios which is “thick-ass.” I only bring it on cold years because, with the hood, it’s a little more than I need. I have OR and MH midweight puffies with no hoods for moderate cold.