things NOT to take on a guided hunt

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have guided Dall hunt booked for August 2023 (maybe 2022 with a cancellation). I've always backpack hunted on my own (only very occasionally with a buddy) and am having trouble with the thought of leaving stuff behind because it's a guided hunt.

Things like a spotter, a glassing tarp, a stove/pot, extensive kill kit, the list goes on :D

I am not unaccustomed to carrying heavier loads through rough terrain, but fully understand the ramifications/advantages of a lighter pack.

So what stays behind on a guided sheep hunt?

Thanks.

Some folks are going to tell you to leave the spotter. My outfitter actually told me not to bring one, that it would get left at base camp, and it probably would have, but looking back on the hunt there were many times each day when I wished I had one. It sucks waiting on your turn to look through the spotter while your guide is looking at animals too far to examine with your binos. I won't ever go on another western hunt without my own spotter.

As far as what to leave behind:

Extra batteries for a camera
Solar charging contraptions

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good luck and don't wear your guide out....
:ROFLMAO:

fly in and backpack hunt, no stock

yeah I'm having trouble with leaving a spotter behind, tripod as well- I prefer to glass with binos off a tripod, especially covering a lot of real estate and with a 400 yard shot possible, would much prefer to shoot off the tripod too

no camera and don't own a solar charger :); phone will be my camera and plan on bringing two 10,000 mah chargers for it (for the inReach too)

Jbehredt

WKR
Take the tripod and spotter. I’d feel l like a tool asking to borrow my guide’s. Let him handle meals and shelter. I think they’re accustomed to having to carry stuff for people who overpack all their fancy new gear and over estimate their strength/endurance. I don’t imagine that will be a problem for you.

You know my thoughts on the spotter/tripod. I was glad I took mine. The guide was really studying the sheep at distance and I very much enjoyed watching next to him and talking thru what he was looking at. Plus the tripod with my binos was a plus after the sheep was down and we were looking for bears.

No need for stove/fuel but you will want something for hot drinks. I left my game bags, He had Kuiu, but took my knife, extra blades, flagging tape, gloves, and phone holder/blue tooth remote for pics.

Recommend you take whatever you normally do for first aid kit. We used mine twice.

I wish I would have taken a glassing tarp. Guide had one but it was small for us to get under.
Are sure you don’t leave base camp without deet. If it is similar to my hunt you will want it when you get out of the plane at base camp. Lol.
Excited for you. I just got my shoulder mount back 3 weeks ago. Hunted deer in CO and after the hunt drove to Cody and picked it up from Dewey’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

wyosteve

WKR
My .02 is to take another camera along with the phone. I have a small camera that only weighs about 3 oz. with an extra battery and it fits in a pocket. I've used it quite often in addition to my phone. I like to take a lot of pictures and then edit them at a later date.

We folk from the lower 48 grossly overpack in comparison to our northern brethren. The outfitter should have provided you a list of what to bring; do you best to stick to it and make necessary adjustments from there.

Some folks are passive hunters and have the guide do all of the work minus taking the shot. That is not my cup of tea. I want to take a very active role on my hunt. This includes finding game so I bring whatever optics makes the most sense for that hunt under the anticipated conditions (including any weight limitations).

My .02 is to take another camera along with the phone. I have a small camera that only weighs about 3 oz. with an extra battery and it fits in a pocket. I've used it quite often in addition to my phone. I like to take a lot of pictures and then edit them at a later date.

I agree 110%. This Nikon Coolpix 300 with silicone jacket goes on all my hunts ever since my dall hunt. My main reason for taking it was so I wouldn't drain the battery on my phone, but it takes much better pictures than smart phones do, and it's nice to have it all on an SD card after your hunt. Also, you will find yourself in some pretty sketchy places....I ate shit a few times on snow covered shale/boulders, and it was nice having my phone tucked away safely in my pack with this thing in my pant or jacket pocket at all times. No matter how many pics you take @mtwarden it won't be enough. I bought this one back in 2018 right before my sheep hunt, and even then it had blue tooth so when you get back to a connection, you can easily share over to your phone. Are you going to AK, NWT, Yukon?

camera.jpg

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for everyone's replies! :)

If the guide brings a stove while hunting, I could leave the stove/pot behind- but do like something warm to drink/eat if it's cold. I like to eat supper when I'm backpacking in the evening vs 10 o'clock at night. I've found it's a good way to keep food scent down at camp in grizzly country and not overly fond of going to bed with a full stomach :)

Sounds like most agree spotter/tripod are worthwhile additions. I was leaning heavily towards carrying the tripod regardless (bino glassing and possibly shooting). The spotter would shave a couple of pounds.

My tarp (7x9') with guy lines and stakes packs very small and isn't too heavy (12-ish oz), so maybe.

I'll talk with the outfitter and possibly the guide on what kind of tarp setup they use and if a stove is a mandatory carry for the guide away from camp.

I could easily thin down my kill kit to a single knife/gloves- the bags usually account for the majority of the weight in my kit.

I'll look into lightweight cameras. My phone (iPhone 12) takes pretty good pics, but I'm sure a dedicated camera would be better yet.

Lelder

Lil-Rokslider
Mtwarden would your granite peak tripod fit the bill? I know you showed it in your lightweight pack thread. And I like to bring my own snacks/meals. I just know what I like and need calorie wise, not just little debbies and bags of chips 🤦‍♂️

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mtwarden would your granite peak tripod fit the bill? I know you showed it in your lightweight pack thread. And I like to bring my own snacks/meals. I just know what I like and need calorie wise, not just little debbies and bags of chips 🤦‍♂️

It would probably do for bino glassing, less so with a full sized spotter and am guessing not so good shooting off it, but it's definitely worth experimenting with as it's uber light :)

Agreed. I'm definitely bringing my own food, fifteen years of backpacking (hunting and otherwise) I have it dialed in pretty good. They use Mountain House for suppers, which I think have improved since I last ate one, but Peak Refuel I doubt could be improved on much and it's high in calories and protein.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I took my spotter/tripod and damn sure glad I did. At some point the guide has to hog that thing to determine legality. Sometimes it takes hours.

I also took my little sheep tarp too and that came in clutch as the guide didn’t have one and we encountered a lot of weather. I’d say if the guide assures you he’ll have one then you’d be safe leaving yours, but I wouldn’t want to not have one.

I think you can leave the stove. I would bring a few snacks that you prefer.

With the spotter/tripod thing… it’s your hunt. If you want to have your own spotter I would bring it. These guides are used to the majority of their clients wussing out and making them carry things so I can understand where the concern and recommendations come from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I were going on that kind of trip I'd probably pack exactly the same as a normal hunt, with the exception of splitting one shelter between packs. I love my Kowa 773 way too much not to bring it somewhere that I could stretch its legs 3-4 miles.

Wapiti1

WKR
Look at the solar battery banks like this one: https://www.amazon.com/ADDTOP-25000...5VFD/ref=dp_prsubs_2?pd_rd_i=B07H8D5VFD&psc=1

I have one and it works really well. Not very heavy, either. Open it up and hang it off the pack to charge while hiking. If your headlamp isn't rechargeable, get one that is and if you get a small camera (I highly recommend that route) it'll charge that too. Sony RX100 series is excellent, small and light.

Absolutely have a light tarp. Worth it's weight in gold in the rain. They weigh so little, it's not worth leaving.

The rest is going to be worked out during a pack dump right before you fly to the bush. If in doubt, I would bring it and decide with the guide at that time. Keep in mind that most hunters don't have extensive backpacking experience, so the guides are accustomed to that. You will be a bit different for them in that respect.

A spotter and tripod is a question mark. I didn't take one, and I didn't really miss it until we found a ram to really study. Next time, I'll take my 65mm. Jordan's point is a good one.

As for cooking supplies, just talk with your guide. He/she will work with you on the schedule and what to take. It's your hunt, you need to speak up and participate. Lot's of folks don't and it actually makes it harder for the guide.

Your kill kit can be super simple. Knife, game bags, one contractor trash bag, done. Just tell the guide you have the game bags so that isn't duplicated.

We packed camp every day, so the stove was always with us or within a mile. Other's leave camp and run miles up a valley for the day. I would highly suggest you have cold food and a bivy shelter/tarp every time you go anywhere. The weather is so screwy up there, it's just good form. More than one sheep hunter that I've talked with spent a very cold unplanned night in a random location away from camp.

Last item. Don't share a tent. It's way nicer to have an ultralight two man to yourself, IMO.

Jeremy

HUNT JR

WKR
Thanks for everyone's replies! :)

If the guide brings a stove while hunting, I could leave the stove/pot behind- but do like something warm to drink/eat if it's cold. I like to eat supper when I'm backpacking in the evening vs 10 o'clock at night. I've found it's a good way to keep food scent down at camp in grizzly country and not overly fond of going to bed with a full stomach :)

Sounds like most agree spotter/tripod are worthwhile additions. I was leaning heavily towards carrying the tripod regardless (bino glassing and possibly shooting). The spotter would shave a couple of pounds.

My tarp (7x9') with guy lines and stakes packs very small and isn't too heavy (12-ish oz), so maybe.

I'll talk with the outfitter and possibly the guide on what kind of tarp setup they use and if a stove is a mandatory carry for the guide away from camp.

I could easily thin down my kill kit to a single knife/gloves- the bags usually account for the majority of the weight in my kit.

I'll look into lightweight cameras. My phone (iPhone 12) takes pretty good pics, but I'm sure a dedicated camera would be better yet.
I will say that I have the iPhone 13 pro max and the camera on it is very very good. I am not sure that it wouldn't be just as good if not better than some of the smaller cameras. Carriers have some crazy credits right now for trading in old phones.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks folks!

Definitely two shelters, I share one with my wife and that's about it :D They provide a TarpTent Double Rainbow which is a nice shelter, but I have a TT Stratospire Li which is equally as roomy, but lighter and I think with it's design a little more bomber, so will be bringing it.

Will be prepared for a night out; fortunately the nights are relatively short in the Brooks Range :)

@Marine4life I've got bug dope and a headnet in bold on my list!

Have some work to do looking at cameras; my iPhone 12 isn't too bad though.

It would probably do for bino glassing, less so with a full sized spotter and am guessing not so good shooting off it, but it's definitely worth experimenting with as it's uber light :)

Agreed. I'm definitely bringing my own food, fifteen years of backpacking (hunting and otherwise) I have it dialed in pretty good. They use Mountain House for suppers, which I think have improved since I last ate one, but Peak Refuel I doubt could be improved on much and it's high in calories and protein.

For my trip it was one mountain house a day. We had different flavors or oatmeal for breakfast, bagels, and all kinds of candy bars and granola bars you could want. The guide and I literally went thru the tubs and picked out what we wanted for mountain house, snacks, trail mixes, nuts, etc. Many of the options were Costco/Kirkland. The moose sausage and cheese was perfect for lunch and worth the weight. We also carried smoked oysters and crackers. Even dropped in one evening to look for bears with a tub of sheep stew.

We left the lodge with 5 days of food and had another 5 days packed in an air drop bag in case we needed it.

My guide carried his reactor stove everywhere and we had plenty of folgers instant coffee. Plus a bottle of stuff to warm the tummy. I ate better than I do when I backpack hunt the west.

I think a couple of conversations with your specific guide will tell ya a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro