things NOT to take on a guided hunt

As a lot of hunters are going North the first time, they’re unsure of what is actually needed. So they don’t have experience to let them know. Which leads to the gear lists provided by the outfitters. Many are overly comprehensive and not pared down.

Well, then that would be the outfitter's fault. In fact, that would be a breach of Alaska's competency law under the guiding statutes.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
As an outfitter an a guide, the past several decades, I can say that nothing irritates us more than clients who show up with a bunch of unnecessary crap. That is probably the most irritating thing of all. That seems to be a more prevalent theme with each passing year, largely due to the influence of social media on Millinials and X-Gen'ers.

I would have thought the most irritating thing would be a client who shows up out of shape or can’t competently shoot his rifle or with a $hitty attitude.

Seems like the least of worries would be a guy that shows up with too much stuff, simply tell him what to leave behind at the lodge/base camp- done.

I would have thought the most irritating thing would be a client who shows up out of shape or can’t competently shoot his rifle or with a $hitty attitude.

Seems like the least of worries would be a guy that shows up with too much stuff, simply tell him what to leave behind at the lodge/base camp- done.
No, clients that can't climb and can't walk aren't irritating. That's just par for the course and it's expected.

Understandable. Few people actually have the patience for it, nor the diplomatic skills. It certainly isn't for everyone and ain't nothing like going out and helping your buddies on a two-week hunting trip.

What type of shape do guides expect a average hunter to be in when they arrive. What is the normal pack weight that guides are expecting a hunter to carry on a daily basis and not when moving camp.

What type of shape do guides expect a average hunter to be in when they arrive. What is the normal pack weight that guides are expecting a hunter to carry on a daily basis and not when moving camp.

Depends on the big game hunted and the terrain, weather and foliage.

Personally, I don't expect much at all from a hunter who's chasing interior grizzlies. However, for brown bear, I expect a lot (mentally and physically).

In terms of moose, I expect a hunter to be able to climb a little when hunting and also be able to carry at least 125 lbs when he's killed a moose.

In reference to Dall sheep, I kind of expect a hunter to be able to carry 30-35 lbs every day and be able to walk about 3-5 miles every day (weather permitting) and to be able to carry at least 80 lbs once he's killed a sheep.

swarovskicoues

Lil-Rokslider
id take everything id take on a solo backpack hunt. just because they're a guide doesn't mean they got good optics and gear from what I've seen first hand and through word of mouth. at least take your own good glass!

For the price of a guided hunt these days I figure they supplied everything and all you had to do was shoot the gun or bow when they told you?! lmao

For the price of a guided hunt these days I figure they supplied everything and all you had to do was shoot the gun or bow when they told you?! lmao

Used to be that way with all outfitters in Alaska. Apparently not anymore. I know that I provide absolutely everything for my clients, except for clothes, sleeping bag, packframe and weapon.

I know you are somewhat joking but, thats how some clients approach it....Other hunters don't need/like to be waited on in all things, and actually enjoy being an active participant in all efforts of the trip. I want my guide to enjoy the process as much as possible and feel like I am a client worthy of a great hunt and and animal, and also someone who they consider a friend when the hunt is over.

Mojave

WKR
7 pages, so you probably have this already.

I have been on a few guided hunts.

Top five things I won't leave to someone else:

1. Food, you are the only person who should be working out your caloric and dietary requirements.

2. Optics, nope.
Rangefinder: If you have been using your range finder, and have it tuned up to your rifle and load. Why would you allow the guide to laze your target?
Spotting scope: of course you are going to bring your own and bipod.

3. Shelter. I want to sleep in my own tent, listening to someone else snore from inches away isn't for me.

4. Sleeping bag, I know a lot of people use outfitter bags. To me this is dumb. I am not very tall 5'11, but I have size 14 feet. I need a different bag.

5. All clothing items, ensuring good rain gear.

Doesn't seem like you had
7 pages, so you probably have this already.

I have been on a few guided hunts.

Top five things I won't leave to someone else:

1. Food, you are the only person who should be working out your caloric and dietary requirements.

2. Optics, nope.
Rangefinder: If you have been using your range finder, and have it tuned up to your rifle and load. Why would you allow the guide to laze your target?
Spotting scope: of course you are going to bring your own and bipod.

3. Shelter. I want to sleep in my own tent, listening to someone else snore from inches away isn't for me.

4. Sleeping bag, I know a lot of people use outfitter bags. To me this is dumb. I am not very tall 5'11, but I have size 14 feet. I need a different bag.

5. All clothing items, ensuring good rain gear.

Doesn't seem like you had a very good time on those guided hunts ....

Mojave

WKR
I always had a good time.

There are always major issues. It just depends on how they handle the issues.

I have yet to meet an actual crook, but I know they are rampant. Both as client and outfitter.

In a perfect world:

1. the cook would be good, maybe not Cordon Blu Chef School good but good.
2. Game would be plentiful, and the frustration would come from shopping.
3. Weather would be blue bird or at least excellent weather for game movement.
4. Gear would be new.
5. Rifles would be accurate, ranges would be short, and animals would be "piga kufa" stone dead.

But then it wouldn't be hunting it would be boring, and not too longer after it was this good we wouldn't enjoy suffering anymore.

I have friends in Texas and Europe that consider hunting something where you never exert yourself, suffer the loss of a miss or deal with extreme cold or heat.

For any of you guys hunting the Western Alaska Range this year, we didn't get our ADF&G aerial survey done. Weather shut us down so there's not going to be any formal aerial sheep survey data this year.

Mojave

WKR
Your diplomatic skills certainly are impressive.
I remember a Kuiu Talk from another Alaska guide talking about bitchy bowhunters who would be angry if the guide fired into a not-so wounded animal to kill it.

I don't personally know if I have the patience for that.

I used to guide whitewater rafters on the upper Kern in California. I knew at the end of the season I never wanted a situation with clients again.

We try to do a good job when I sell something on ebay or one of the hunting forums. We over insure things and make sure people are happy.

With hunting you are selling a very expensive trip where a kill is not necessarily a sure thing.

Guys talk about hunting dalls in the Brooks and being surrounded by resident Alaskans to the point it is comical. Paying $20,000-25,000 to be there.

I remember a Kuiu Talk from another Alaska guide talking about bitchy bowhunters who would be angry if the guide fired into a not-so wounded animal to kill it.

I don't personally know if I have the patience for that.

I used to guide whitewater rafters on the upper Kern in California. I knew at the end of the season I never wanted a situation with clients again.

We try to do a good job when I sell something on ebay or one of the hunting forums. We over insure things and make sure people are happy.

With hunting you are selling a very expensive trip where a kill is not necessarily a sure thing.

Guys talk about hunting dalls in the Brooks and being surrounded by resident Alaskans to the point it is comical. Paying $20,000-25,000 to be there.

Here in Alaska, guides and outfitters are required by law to prevent the escape and loss of a wounded big game animal, by whatever legal means necessary. So, an animal rapidly departing toward parts unknown with a stray arrow or stray bullets in it, is getting shot again, by someone other than the hunting client.

Arctic_Beaver

Lil-Rokslider
For any of you guys hunting the Western Alaska Range this year, we didn't get our ADF&G aerial survey done. Weather shut us down so there's not going to be any formal aerial sheep survey data this year.
Thanks for this tidbit. How about the Central AK Range? Were you able to do any aerial surveys there?