things NOT to take on a guided hunt

Thanks for this tidbit. How about the Central AK Range? Were you able to do any aerial surveys there?

Based on state and federal caribou population aerial censuses across Alaska, this month and the previous month, and if caribou are an indicator, sheep were severely impacted for the third year in a row and are at super low-level equilibrium at this point.

schmalzy

WKR
All good discussion! :)

I’m still torn on a few items. I’m going to bring everything and make a final call at the lodge.

I can forgo the tarp if the guide is carrying an adequate sized one.

I’m pretty sure I’ll bring my small stove/pot. The possibility of getting laid up for a couple of days with weather, would be reason enough for me.

I’m pretty sure I’m bringing my tripod. I like to glass with my binos with it and am setting it up to shoot from as well.

Spotter- unsure.

I’m up and down mountains with a pack year round, so while weight is always a concern, it’s not the overriding concern.

I ended up bringing my spotter and tripod and very glad that I did. Would do it again without question. Same with a small stove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mojave

WKR
I have brought a spotting scope on a lot of hunts that they were not necessary on. Africa, roe deer in Germany, and elk hunts in black timber.

Having your own spotter is a necessity on most western hunts in the USA and Canada where you will not be sitting in a tree stand.

Saying that I found it useful in Germany on roe deer to distinguish between a buck coming in and a doe at 700 yards.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I ended up bringing my spotter and tripod and very glad that I did. Would do it again without question. Same with a small stove.

Good to know! Congrats on your ram- it's a dandy :)

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member

schmalzy

WKR
Very interesting! :).

That just might be a good compromise between my Sirui T-024SK (w/ ballhead) that weighs 32 oz and my Kramer Designs Granite Peak at 8 oz

I think it is. Easy to use, super easy to pack, and much more stable than I thought it’d be. Saves you just shy of a pound off the Sirui set up.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Granite Peak is pretty good with binos or the little Leupold fixed spotters, but not enough for larger spotters (I also have a ATS), the Sirui is great but losing a pound would be most welcome :D

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
well I succumbed and have AOKA on the way; should have a chance to put it through it's paces this deer season :)

Mojave

WKR
5.5 pounds max load, couldn't shoot off of it unless you had some kind of featherlight rifle.

schmalzy

WKR
5.5 pounds max load, couldn't shoot off of it unless you had some kind of featherlight rifle.

Hadn’t really thought about shooting off of it, only had a spotter in mind.

cbeard64

WKR
As an outfitter an a guide, the past several decades, I can say that nothing irritates us more than clients who show up with a bunch of unnecessary crap. That is probably the most irritating thing of all. That seems to be a more prevalent theme with each passing year, largely due to the influence of social media on Millinials and X-Gen'ers.

I certainly understand that. But there is a flip side to that also: guides who have marginal optics, cheap tents, and other crappy hunting gear. I have been on four sheep hunts - half the guides had quality gear and half had marginal quality gear. It’s hard to imagine, but it’s true. (It’s neither here nor there, but I have also seen guides hunt with clothes, boots, packs, and other personal gear that I wouldn’t use to hunt whitetails here in TX.) These were all top notch outfits and good guides. For whatever reason (cost, I assume), they were just roughing it out with marginal gear.

As others have said, good communication being very specific is paramount. But even that may not solve the issue as guides often each have different gear and often are not assigned until the hunter arrives for the hunt. If in doubt, at least bring your gear to base camp. I have had the guide use my spotter and other gear instead of theirs on two of my four hunts. I’m convinced my spotter made the difference in helping me get a beautiful ram on one hunt. I know for a fact it saved many miles of hiking.

IMO being a guide. Things like "kill Kit" is my responsibility and is going to be in my bag no matter what...so I'm carrying regardless. If you want to carry the extra weight have at it. I would bring a knife and sharpener. leave the rest.

One thing to remember if your guide is good he has a system dialed in and even though you have experience the guide doesn't know that until you are on the hunt. Things like bringing your own tent or similar would make me nervous as a guide thinking (what if he forgets is stakes, rain fly, etc.) This extends to any and all of your equipment. Most guys were honest about their experience but the ones that weren't could have bit me in the ass on a couple of occasions but I packed and prepared the same for every client. This is just so you understand their perspective and why they suggest things.

I'd personally bring the spotter and tripod (but wouldn't force the issue if the outfitter or guide insisted I didn't)...lose the kill kit, tarp is eh if the guide has one, forget the stove, and use their tent set up.

I agree it is your hunt and work those details out with the outfitter and if possible the guide before hand above suggestions is just what I would do.
Thanks for the information!

Depends on the big game hunted and the terrain, weather and foliage.

Personally, I don't expect much at all from a hunter who's chasing interior grizzlies. However, for brown bear, I expect a lot (mentally and physically).

In terms of moose, I expect a hunter to be able to climb a little when hunting and also be able to carry at least 125 lbs when he's killed a moose.

In reference to Dall sheep, I kind of expect a hunter to be able to carry 30-35 lbs every day and be able to walk about 3-5 miles every day (weather permitting) and to be able to carry at least 80 lbs once he's killed a sheep.
Thank you, I appreciate that Information.