things NOT to take on a guided hunt

bring your spotter and a first aid kit.
I handed my guide a first aid kit after he cut his hands pretty good and he did not have one.
Also, bring some food. we ran out of food. Yes first year guide on a sheep hunt, but it was succesful.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
maybe I should try some of the newer Mtn House, it’s been 15+ years since I gave up them

moose sausage and cheese sounds perfect for lunch :) I

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
thank you Sir!

I have to credit my wife. I was watching Randy Newburg's once in a lifetime Dall hunt and told my wife, just once I'd like to hunt sheep (have been unsuccessful in the Montana draw for 30+ years) in my lifetime. She told me to just do it and with the help of several folks on this site was lead to a very nice (and reputable) outfitter in the Brooks Range :)

idig4au

WKR
For sheep, I take pretty much the same as if I’m going solo except I leave my stove behind and have a reduced kill kit to save a bit of weight. I also typically leave my spotter and tripod behind as I personally don’t see the need carry the extra few pounds of dead weight on a 10-12 day hunt. I also bring my own food and shelter as I don’t want to smell my guide and I want to fart in comfort!

Jimss

WKR
I would go nuts without my own spotter! Worth every ounce to me. I also like to film. I have a tiny camcorder with an ultra zoom that is a lot of fun. I have several cameras and one has ultra zoom plus takes hd video. Sometimes guides may hunt out of a base camp so you can leave some of the stuff at base camp or take it depending upon the day.

Broomd

WKR
Take the tripod and spotter. I’d feel l like a tool asking to borrow my guide’s. Let him handle meals and shelter. I think they’re accustomed to having to carry stuff for people who overpack all their fancy new gear and over estimate their strength/endurance. I don’t imagine that will be a problem for you.
No chance.
After many unguided sheep and goat hunts, can't imagine any sheep or mountain goat hunter taking a full sized tripod on any distanced backpack hunt. Taking one on a guided hunt? Nuts.
Tremendous waste of critical space and weight.

Our spotter 'tripod' ...Pedco 2 ounces, folded = size of a magnum sharpie marker. Put it on a rock and go to work.

71-O3cMCP9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Broomd

WKR
You killed one of the guides.......?????:rolleyes:
You misunderstood, he killed the guide's truck. :)

I remember heading out with a bud on ATV's north of Fairbanks 'bou hunting. He killed a nice bull, and started field dressing so I headed off to find a bull for myself. I ended up killing one as well.
When I went back to my friend to hydrate and clean my hands, I saw that he had used my entire gallon of water to clean his hands, knives, etc. He hadn't packed any H2O.

Thereafter was several tough hours without water. Parched and bloody on dry tundra.

Snyd

WKR
No need for 2 spotters/tripods. When we partner hunt here we only take one. There is standard "shared gear".

tent, stove/fuel, water filter, spotter and even rangefinder, camera, SPOT or inreach, sat phone.

When you get a ram down in a steep chute a few miles and drainages from your tent after several days of fatigue piled on you and your out of water, soaking wet, it's poring rain/snow, it's starting to get dark and you've got half a ram plus the horns and cape on your back. You'll be glad your not packing and extra 5-10 lbs of crap you don't need that your guide has in his pack anyway!!

"What NOT to bring" anything your guide has! Well, except your binos!

my .02

TWHrunner

Lil-Rokslider
I think it makes sense to bring only one spotter. That’s the way we do it on our own hunts here on Alberta Bighorn every year. BUT, this is your hunt. AND you are paying. A LOT. Having a guide order me around to leave what he wants at base camp would be a NON-STARTER TFGS.

schmalzy

WKR
This thread has me waffling back and forth. Was all set on bringing my own (still probably will) but the weight savings is tempting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was very happy to have my sub 2# tripod/head and 553 kowa on my dall trip. Didn't add a ton of weight. I woulda been really bummed if i didn't have a tripod when we were glassing for bears for the rest of the week after killing the sheep on opening day. Definitely bring your preferred snacks and food.

Was happy to leave stove/fuel and kill kit behind. Just brought a little havalon to help with processing the animal. My guide had a big ass hille tarp for glassing so it wasn't worth it for me to bring one but every guide is different. That's about the extent of what I left that I would have brought on a DIY hunt.

204guy

WKR
If I was to go again I would pack exactly as I would if going solo. Most guides are not gear guys. I'm an unabashed gear guy and find some enjoyment out of using good gear. It's no fun knowing you have a superior piece of gear sitting at home vs what you're using provided by your guide or outfitter. You can probably go over shared gear with your guide once you get to base camp and evaluate from there. Dont let them talk you out of your spotter/ tripod.

svivian

WKR
while I was in Alaska I got the opportunity to take a helicopter trip up to the top of a range and scout for caribou and moose with a guide for fun. I only had my binos and he had the spotter. I felt like i was constantly asking him to confirm animals I was spotting way out with my swaro 10x42 binos. Even though I was indeed finding them I felt like a burden where If I had my spotting scope I could confirm myself.

I went sheep hunting 2 years ago in the Alaska range. Awesome time. My advice is go as light as you can. It will make your trip all that much more enjoyable. I was at 19lbs with out food water or rifle. Pm me if you want and I'll dig out my list. Good luck. If I had the money I would go sheep hunting every year lol. Best trip of my life

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
thanks for everyone's continued input!

This thread has me waffling back and forth. Was all set on bringing my own (still probably will) but the weight savings is tempting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agreed :D

while I was in Alaska I got the opportunity to take a helicopter trip up to the top of a range and scout for caribou and moose with a guide for fun. I only had my binos and he had the spotter. I felt like i was constantly asking him to confirm animals I was spotting way out with my swaro 10x42 binos. Even though I was indeed finding them I felt like a burden where If I had my spotting scope I could confirm myself.
Highly illegal, FYI...

svivian

WKR
Highly illegal, FYI...
No clue the rules as I don’t hunt up there and didn’t have a tag. Just happened to be introduced by a guy I was fishing with and couldn’t pass it up. Merely pointing out that me asking him to use his spotting scope to confirm hindered him from locating his own animals. This was also 10 years ago for what it’s worth…