things NOT to take on a guided hunt

MattB

WKR
Apologies if I posted this already, but on the 5 dall sheep hunts I have done only the guide packed a spotter/tripod and I NEVER wished I was carrying duplicate weight for the very little time I would have used it. Not once. I had a tough enough time chasing a 30-year old up the mountain as it was.

The couple nights I spent away from camp and froze my ass off and the time I didn't have a drink of water for 12+ hours (hiked for probably 8 of them) and couldn't even conjure a piss first thing in the AM the morning after despite drinking my fill before going to bed... Those situations made me rethink what extra weight I would happily carry on a sheep hunt.

Edit: after I posted I read back through the last couple of pages. My only suggestion would be to listen to the guys who have been on dall sheep hunts and not musings from guys from flat states on what they would do *if* they ever went on a hunt sheep. Post #88 encapsulates my opinion but from the guide's perspective.

Last edited:
Apologies if I posted this already, but on the 5 dall sheep hunts I have done only the guide packed a spotter/tripod and I NEVER wished I was carrying duplicate weight for the very little time I would have used it. Not once. I had a tough enough time chasing a 30-year old up the mountain as it was.

The couple nights I spent away from camp and froze my ass off and the time I didn't have a drink of water for 12+ hours (hiked for probably 8 of them) and couldn't even conjure a piss first thing in the AM the morning after despite drinking my fill before going to bed... Those situations made me rethink what extra weight I would happily carry on a sheep hunt.

Edit: after I posted I read back through the last couple of pages. My only suggestion would be to listen to the guys who have been on dall sheep hunts and not musings from guys from flat states on what they would do *if* they ever went on a hunt sheep. Post #88 encapsulates my opinion but from the guide's perspective.
From a guide's perspective, I would and will tell everyone to leave at home everything except clothes, rifle, cartridges, sleeping bag, external packframe, binocular, knife, license and tags, ice axe or hiking stick.

there's no reason to take a spotting scope and tripod (the guide has one). There's no reason to take a tent (the outfitter has plenty of really good ones). There's no reason to take a stove and fuel (the outfitter has plenty of those, too). There's no reason to take a sleeping pad (the outfitter has plenty on hand). There's no reason to take a tarp (the outfitter and the guide have those).

Every year while guiding hunters up in Alaska for 6-7 months each year, I see way too many nonresident guided hunters bring far too much crap with them. It's ridiculous and if your wife or girlfriend knew how much money you'd be saving by NOT buying all that unnecessary high-dollar crap, she'd probably be more than happy to help you finance another high-dollar guided hunt.

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider
From a guide's perspective, I would and will tell everyone to leave at home everything except clothes, rifle, cartridges, sleeping bag, external packframe, binocular, knife, license and tags, ice axe or hiking stick.

there's no reason to take a spotting scope and tripod (the guide has one). There's no reason to take a tent (the outfitter has plenty of really good ones). There's no reason to take a stove and fuel (the outfitter has plenty of those, too). There's no reason to take a sleeping pad (the outfitter has plenty on hand). There's no reason to take a tarp (the outfitter and the guide have those).

Every year while guiding hunters up in Alaska for 6-7 months each year, I see way too many nonresident guided hunters bring far too much crap with them. It's ridiculous and if your wife or girlfriend knew how much money you'd be saving by NOT buying all that unnecessary high-dollar crap, she'd probably be more than happy to help you finance another high-dollar guided hunt.
During my hunt, my guide camped about 100 yds away due to terrain. Never again will I leave my stove....long story but never again.

jofes

WKR
This thread is convincing me not to bring my 553 and tripod, I really want to phone scope sheep being sheep on the mtn, but don't want to bring 5 redundant pounds.

MattB

WKR
This thread is convincing me not to bring my 553 and tripod, I really want to phone scope sheep being sheep on the mtn, but don't want to bring 5 redundant pounds.
Maybe figure out what scope your guide will be carrying and bring a case that fits it. Depending on the situation you may be sitting on a ram for hours or even days.

On the other hand, don't be one of those guys who is insistent on taking pictures while your guide is encouraging you to hurry up gathering your stuff to take advantage of an opportunity to stalk. Dall sheep are funny in that they can happily hang out in a spot for days and then, for no apparent reason, decide they really want to be 3 miles away. Make the most of every opportunity.

schmalzy

WKR
Yeah, you can always fly back up with your wife and drive into Denali Park and phone scope large rams.

I like the angle of using this as another reason to make a trip to AK but this would not get traction in my young family hahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
All good discussion! :)

I’m still torn on a few items. I’m going to bring everything and make a final call at the lodge.

I can forgo the tarp if the guide is carrying an adequate sized one.

I’m pretty sure I’ll bring my small stove/pot. The possibility of getting laid up for a couple of days with weather, would be reason enough for me.

I’m pretty sure I’m bringing my tripod. I like to glass with my binos with it and am setting it up to shoot from as well.

Spotter- unsure.

I’m up and down mountains with a pack year round, so while weight is always a concern, it’s not the overriding concern.

MattB

WKR
Little harm in bringing it all and talking it through with your guide, or asking your outfitter in advance of travel.

Keep in mind hunting dalls is very different from most lower 48 hunting. They really stand out in most habitat, so I would bet we located 90%+ of sheep naked eye and only quickly use binocs to determine herd composition. If they were rams, maybe the spotting scope would come out. Not much need for a tripod.

Most everywhere I have been on dall sheep there has been little to no brush or trees, so shooting prone is a likely option. For my one rifle kill I used a short bipod and an improvised rear support.

I still find it beyond incredulous that today's new outfitters in Alaska don't provide adequate camp gear for their clients. That just blows my mind. The industry is going to hell in a hand basket, along with the hunting.

schmalzy

WKR
I still find it beyond incredulous that today's new outfitters in Alaska don't provide adequate camp gear for their clients. That just blows my mind. The industry is going to hell in a hand basket, along with the hunting.

I think most outfitters do provide the gear you’re referencing, but I know for guys like me I’m not going to rely on what an outfitter picks or likes on a 20k plus hunt. Some guys like quilts some guys don’t. Some guys like bigger tents some don’t. Some guys like mountain house some like peak. No right or wrong answer, but if you can eliminate a variable and not be reliant on someone else’s taste in gear or choices why leave it up to chance?

I think most outfitters do provide the gear you’re referencing, but I know for guys like me I’m not going to rely on what an outfitter picks or likes on a 20k plus hunt. Some guys like quilts some guys don’t. Some guys like bigger tents some don’t. Some guys like mountain house some like peak. No right or wrong answer, but if you can eliminate a variable and not be reliant on someone else’s taste in gear or choices why leave it up to chance?

If an outfitter has junk gear, then why bother booking a $20K hunt with that outfitter? Doesn't make sense. Ain't cuttin' the mustard, man. Either that, or a potential client didn't do their due diligence (lol).

schmalzy

WKR
If an outfitter has junk gear, then why bother booking a $20K hunt with that outfitter? Doesn't make sense. Ain't cuttin' the mustard, man. Either that, or a potential client didn't do their due diligence (lol).

Never said it was junk gear. The point I was trying to make (albeit poorly) is that just because a client is bringing their own gear that doesn’t meant that the outfitter isn’t providing it.

As an outfitter an a guide, the past several decades, I can say that nothing irritates us more than clients who show up with a bunch of unnecessary crap. That is probably the most irritating thing of all. That seems to be a more prevalent theme with each passing year, largely due to the influence of social media on Millinials and X-Gen'ers.

As an outfitter an a guide, the past several decades, I can say that nothing irritates us more than clients who show up with a bunch of unnecessary crap. That is probably the most irritating thing of all. That seems to be a more prevalent theme with each passing year, largely due to the influence of social media on Millinials and X-Gen'ers.
No argument about folks from the lower 49 bringing too much garbage. Been there and don’t that.

As a lot of hunters are going North the first time, they’re unsure of what is actually needed. So they don’t have experience to let them know. Which leads to the gear lists provided by the outfitters. Many are overly comprehensive and not pared down.