Things That Bring A Tear To Your Eye.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
My 3 year old was helping me check zero and re-verify my dialing on my .260 before heading out for a mule deer hunt last week.

He obviously is his own little person and maybe he won’t be into hunting and shooting like dad when he’s older... But I’m sure enjoying him being interested in it so far! He already can’t wait until he’s old enough for his first rifle.

D21BCCF2-428F-4EF2-A895-A3DB868480E9.jpeg

Last night my 2.5 y/o daughter hit my 6 y/o son so I had to put her in timeout. A few minutes later before letting her out we talked about it. "Sweetie, we don't hit." And she responds, "I no hit, I smack!" and she demonstrates by slapping her hand against her other hand.

It took all my being not to laugh my ass off. Later my wife and I did laugh ourselves to tears.

Wapiti1

WKR
Good stuff. Start them young, and keep them involved in the whole process from planning, to prep, and training. He'll be your partner forever.

A couple of years ago I was in Montana hunting elk second week of the general season. My buddy and I had just sat down in the snow for a snack and glassing session. I reached into my pack for candy bars and peanuts and came up with three hot wheels trucks and a note. My grandson wanted me to have something to play with if I got bored, so he picked three trucks for me and had Nanna help him with the note.

I made little mountains and ramps in the snow with the trucks on them and took pictures for him so he knew they came in handy. He was 3 at the time, now 5.

Jeremy

Michael54

WKR
Last season my then 3 year old watched me miss as a doe somehow dodged my crossbow bolt. His response was "maybe my grammy can teach you to shoot daddy"......

AKDoc

WKR
Those are great stories guys! My kids grew-up hunting with me, and they still enjoy being out with dad when their busy work schedules and lives allow the opportunity.

This year I had a new tear-jerker. I did my annual two-week remote moose hunt in western AK. My wife picked me up at the airport as usual, and held her breath when she hugged me (as usual after two-weeks in a tent and butchering a couple of moose. The difference this year was we went directly to the child-care center to pick-up our 17-month grandson. My wife went inside as I waited in the parking-lot directly outside the front door. I saw her holding him in her arms as she was signing him out. She was pointing to me for him to see. I saw him looking to see through the doors, and I was waving to him. As soon as he could tell it was me, he immediately wanted down, and he came running outside to me to be picked up...and gave a big hug for grandpa. I got teary eyed for sure!

My 3 year old was helping me check zero and re-verify my dialing on my .260 before heading out for a mule deer hunt last week.

He obviously is his own little person and maybe he won’t be into hunting and shooting like dad when he’s older... But I’m sure enjoying him being interested in it so far! He already can’t wait until he’s old enough for his first rifle.

View attachment 223826

He looks about the right size for a "cricket" .22. my wife wasn't the most thrilled when I said I was buying my son a .22 when he was turning 4. He LOVED it! And I loved him learning on a little single shot at the range instead of just plinking around with a BB gun.

But he upstaged me as well and Won a 410 at a wild turkey federation Banquet 5 days before his birthday so he was well on his way with gun ownership at 4!

Hunt4lyf

Lil-Rokslider
Yup, that looks like a great time, great memories for sure.

I’ve got a bunch of pictures like that with my daughter, she’s almost 9 now, last year she called in a bull elk and I was a second to slow to get a shot at it, she was there when I shot a buck and last week was next to me when I shot a turkey. We’re headed out elk hunting in a couple weeks and she keeps reminding me that she needs her elk call so she can call in another bull for me.

FLAK

WKR
When we lived in Central FL/, my son used to live for visiting Nanna and Paw Paw up on the farm in N. Bama.
We got there one time and the Cur dog promptly treed a squirrel for him. I grabbed an old .22 rifle that I'd never shot before and went to shoot that squirrel so my son could see what it was all about. He was 4 or 5 at the time.
After about 10 rounds I had not come even close to hitting that squirrel. My son spoke up and said "Dad,,,I think your gonna need some more bullets".
I finally figured out where it was hitting and aimed about a foot lower, killing the squirrel.
I have a pic of him with the dog, holding the squirrel, a grip and grin like no other.