Things to do near Gillette

HuntTN

FNG
Headed to unit 18 in Wyoming for my first antelope hunt. I’ll be staying in Gillette and have stayed there before on an elk hunt south of there. I didn’t get to do anything but hunt on that trip. Looking for things to see or do if i tag out early. Is there other types of hunting/fishing opportunities around the area or even in South Dakota you suggest looking into?

Could do a tour of the Weatherby factory in Sheridan. Day trip to Devils Tower combined with fishing in Sand Creek by Beulah is another suggestion. At least one of the coal mines offers a tour into the ‘pit’.
I'll second the Weatherby Factory.

manitou1

WKR
Devils Tower, Rapid City, Custer State Park, The Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Deadwood, and Sturgis are all within day trip distance. Fly-fishing Spearfish Canyon if you fish.

mylsuhat

Lil-Rokslider
I have an 18 antelope tag and a C deer tag. Anyone have suggestions on a place that will hold/freeze meat in Gillette?

Lee_R

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry, but the weatherby factory doesn't seem to be open for tours. They do have a visitor area with merchandise, etc.

MOcluck

Lil-Rokslider
Go check out the needles highway, Mount Rushmore or anything in the Black hills. There's a lot of cool stuff in that little area. Not to bad a drive from Gillette.

OP
H

HuntTN

FNG
Thanks for the reply’s everyone. Will have to be sure i get the kites packed. Looks like i will have plenty to do if my hunt ends early. May have to try and make it to deadwood for Octoberfest.

Scorpion

WKR
Are you going guided or DIY?

Either scenario should have you tagged out pretty quick if you can shoot and find what you’re looking for.

OP
H

HuntTN

FNG
Are you going guided or DIY?

Either scenario should have you tagged out pretty quick if you can shoot and find what you’re looking for.
DIY. First time antelope hunting so I won’t be picky. Considering going early and trying with a bow before rifle opens up.

Reactions: HiZ

HiZ

FNG
Same situation here for us going to get out in 19. Good luck

Anyone back country camp?
Any advice
b16c522242f114830881fcff9722166b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Big Horn Forest. AMAZING !!!!!!!!!!!! Someone on this site helped me. I drove the entire loop in 1 day in a rental. The sernary is outstanding !

Same situation here for us going to get out in 19. Good luck

Anyone back country camp?
Any advice
b16c522242f114830881fcff9722166b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Pack your water....you might be able to find a wet mud hole or tank and if you filter it properly it won't kill you just tastes like shit. Last year it was in the 70s opening week.

Big Horn Forest. AMAZING !!!!!!!!!!!! Someone on this site helped me. I drove the entire loop in 1 day in a rental. The sernary is outstanding !
Was this the help you mention?

You have a few options with a rental car. (All these routes are paved highways.)

You could take Highway 16 from Buffalo to Tensleep and then continue on to Worland and go north to Greybull and then take Highway 14 to Burgess Junction and on down to Datyton and Ranchester. Then get on I90 and return to Buffalo.

Or, at Tensleep you could take the Lower Nowood Road (on the west edge of Tensleep) north to Highway 31 and then on to Manderson where you could get on Highway 20 and go to Greybull.

Or, at Greybull rather than taking Highway 14 to Burgess Junction you could continue on through Greybull a couple miles and then take Highway 310 north to Lovell and then take Highway Alternate 14 to Burgess Junction.

These loops would take most of a day.

Enjoy the trip if you decide to go.

ClearCreek