Things You Need For Mule Deer Camp That No One Thinks About

This is going to be my first time out hunting for Muley's in open country.

I will be tenting since there are no hotels within 30 minutes or so of the location...

It's not my first rodeo when it comes to deer camp, but I'm sure my 3 page list is still missing some stuff that I don't think about...

What are some things you need in the field for Mule Deer hunting (archery) that you didn't realize you needed until it was too late?? Thanks in advance.

Patience for glassing! Gear wise:

A lightweight foam glassing pad.

Chapstick
That glassing pad is money - my girlfriend turned me on to bringing one of those if we're not backpacking.

I don't know about anyone else, but I bring spare broadheads or sharpeners in case things get western. 😆

How tough are you? If you can handle discomfort, you really don't *need* much to hunt any animal. And practically speaking, the simpler your gear, the easier it is to get moving every morning. I look at it this way... If I have my: Weapon/ammo/optics/food/water/clothes/shelter/tags/knife, whatever else gets forgotten is just luxury/nice to haves.

On a more helpful note, here's my current loadout for CO high country:

Pack:Shelter:Clothes(packed):Clothes(Worn):Water/CookStuff:Kill Kit:
Kifaru Duplex FrameKifaru SuperTarp with AnnexKuiu Chugach Rain JacketDarn Tough boot cushionSoto Amicus stove5 Tag BOMB bags
Kifaru Reckoning Packground clothKryptek Takur Rain Pantsblack ovis briefsfuel canistercitric acid powder
Kifaru Guide LidThermarest NeoAir XTherm padDarn Tough Boot Cushion (1x)Wrangler outdoor cargo pantslightersmall spray bottle
Leki Trekking PolesEE 10 degree down quiltBlack Ovis briefs (1x)T-shirt for hikingtitanium sporknitrile gloves
Costco Puffy JacketBoonie hatToaks 750 ml potsmall pullout bag
Kuiu fleece hoody(240 wt)Kenetreck Mountain Extreme bootsPlatypus ziptop 3L (empty)100' paracord
merino glovesBuff neck gaitersawyer squeeze as gravity filter
beaniePlatypus 3L bladder (full)(6.7 lbs)Gerber Fixed blade
First Lite Wick (hooded)platypus 1L blader(empty)
aqua tabs as backup
First Aid Kit:Toiletries:Electronics:Misc:Weapon:Optics:
bandaidstoilet paperGarmin InReachlighterBlackWidow PMAFHF bino harness
neosporinwet wipesIphonematchsafe w/strike anywheresThunderhorn quiverwind checker
tweezersmedsAnker battery pack4 broadhead arrowspetzl elight headlamp
israeli bandagehand sanitizervaselline cotton balls1 small game arrowcompass
gold bond powderspare contactsblack diamond headlamp6 spare arrows (in truck)Nikon Monarch HG 10x42/outdoorsman bino stud
leukotapeeye dropsallen wrenches for bow/quiver3 spare broadheads(in truck)Outdoorsman Bino adapter/arca swiss detach plate
matchestoothepasteelectrical tapetabbenro s2 tripod
supergluetoothbrushclip shotstringerDiscontinued Tripod head
flaggingarm guardKowa 773 Spotter/arca swiss detach plate
moleskinspare stringThermarest zpad glassing seat
Face paintbackup tabphone scope adapter and phone case
Benchmade BugoutSig Kilo 1600 rangefinder
Thick wool socks for final stalktags
viam shade tarp?
DMT diamond stone

manitou1

WKR
Two weeks ago, my wife and I were camping at near 12K'. I had to drive 4 hours r.t. to get headache meds! I always keep Excedrin Migraine or Excedrin Tension Headache in the truck... but my bottle was empty! I did get a taco while down in town, lol.
I always take a good first aid kit, WITH a SAM splint and CAT. Had a buddy run his knife into his thigh while caping an elk... almost died. They had to cardiovert him many times on the helicoptor ride to the hospital.

street

WKR
For me, camp essentials are what I need to sleep well so I'm not dragging ass the next day.

How high and dry will you be? I don’t have very oily skin. When I’m up high, I find that a tube of Chapstick to avoid split lips is helpful. And I second the Krazy Glue that Trumpkin has on his list. Good for the First Aid Kit for cuts and also to address the splits that I get in my fingertips.

I got back from a multi day backpack trip with 2 other guys not that long ago. I put my TP in a ziplock and left it out each day. I did not say anything, but did notice that the other 2 guys and myself were using my TP. I don't know about the other 2 guys, but not having TP would suck.

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
chapstick, eye drops, advil, and i like mint gum because my mouth gets dry all the time.

I have a small headlamp and extra batteries dedicated to just reading books. Nothing is worse than when you are wide awake in the tent but have nothing to do to help get back to sleep. You can always pop a Benadryl I suppose...

Benadryl is also nice to have in case you have that surprise allergic reaction.

WCB

WKR
All depends...If you are truck camping you can bring all kinds of wants. Hell we had prime rib, Salmon, mashed potatoes etc on some hunts where were truck camping.

If you are talking about in the field...besides what has been mentioned above...a light weight tarp for shade if you are in wide open areas. A lot of guys truck camping go back mid day and lay around...I like to tuck myself under a rock in a deer bed or if not possible make a lean to with a tarp and trekking poles, kick my boots off and hang out. Nothing worse than it being hot as hell out with no way to get out of the sun.

Also, may give you a place to keep you meat in the shade if you need to take a couple trips.

Last edited:

WRM

WKR
I prefer Surehold "plastic surgery" glue over the krazy glue and alternatives. There is true medical grade too, but it is expensive and I don't personally see the need for it.

amassi

WKR
Sounds like your tent camping
In that case.... I take a bottle of saline. Sadly I'm allergic to Sage brush and it's nice to flush my sinuses

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Reactions: WRM

Doodle

FNG
Candy. Everybody brings all these pre-mixed powerfoods and stuff, but sometimes you just want a quick pop of sugar (basically your body begging for glucose). I bring a pack a swedish fish and some miniature snickers bars. I bring plenty of real protein and fat dense foods as well, but sometimes you just want sweet.

KsRancher

WKR
Just a heads up. If using that super glue to fix a cut, MAKE SURE you hold the cut together and don't let the cut fill up with the glue. I cut myself pretty good while fileting fish. I had some really quick dry super glue. I cleaned it up real good and had my son lay a bead of glue on the cut. AND then for some reason I just let go and the glue filled the cut. By the time I got something to get the glue out it had set up. So not knowing what to do at the time. I got a pair of pliers and told my son to grab the glue and yank. And WOW, that was interesting. Got the glue out but had a little meat attached to it. And boy did it bleed after that