Things you wish you knew about elk hunting

CJF

WKR
I saw several comments on the wind...specifically slowing down. I can't disagree with that at all, but something I wish I had done the first couple years that I hunted elk is back out completely when the wind will not cooperate. Go to another drainage, or slope....or just go to town and get a burger!

If you have tomorrow, get out and come back when the conditions are more favorable.

RT84

FNG
I had a couple of times the last few years where as soon as I’d given up on a setup, and started moving to the next one, I’d blow out the elk that I didn’t know I’d called in. I’ve had a lot better luck giving setups close to an hour before I leave them.

Even great elk habitat may not have elk, and areas with lots of elk may not seem like there are that many, compared to animals per mile density one may be used to 'back east' hunting whitetails.

OP
E
Even great elk habitat may not have elk, and areas with lots of elk may not seem like there are that many, compared to animals per mile density one may be used to 'back east' hunting whitetails.
Boy that is a big thing isn't it. Driving around here scouting today I saw 75+ deer. All does. Feeding in fields and ditches. Elk hunting and seeing pockets of 1 to 10 elk was a very different t thing. Not being able to see all the country also limited my ability to judge how many elk were really there. How many did I walk past going to the next spot!?

OP
E
I had a couple of times the last few years where as soon as I’d given up on a setup, and started moving to the next one, I’d blow out the elk that I didn’t know I’d called in. I’ve had a lot better luck giving setups close to an hour before I leave

Did that last year.
Twice.

Wish I could say that it wouldn't happen again, but.... lol

dphifer

FNG
Great thread. Total newbie to elk hunting. Seeing people say that they wish they had started sooner really resonates with me. I am 47 and just now starting. The feeling of being new and un-educated at something is pretty overwhelming. At this point I am really just looking forward to enjoying the experiences and education no matter what the outcome is. Thanks to those who share their experience to help those like me.

INgunner54

Lil-Rokslider
Great thread. Total newbie to elk hunting. Seeing people say that they wish they had started sooner really resonates with me. I am 47 and just now starting. The feeling of being new and un-educated at something is pretty overwhelming. At this point I am really just looking forward to enjoying the experiences and education no matter what the outcome is. Thanks to those who share their experience to help those like me.
Good for you! You've certainly got the right attitude going in!

Do not call unless you are in a location you can kill an elk from. See people call all the time and then magically they get "caught" out in the open when an elk walks out. They didn't get caught, they had a bad set up. Listen to the hunt back country podcast with Chris Roe about set ups. It will change where and how you choose your calling locations.
Picture leaving a bowl on your kitchen counter versus in the sink. Elk want to see you. They can see the counter top from all over but only see in the sink standing above it. Make your setup where they can only see you when they are within bow range.

Success is a balance between pure luck and how much you have learned from your mistakes. You can get a little edge by having a partner that has paid his dues and has a more extensive experience list and--- is capable of sharing knowledge and experiences.

One issue is how many screwups you have experienced. The other is how good your memory is so you don't have to experience your mistakes over and over.

TJ M

FNG
I wish I would have spent more time before the hunt researching elk--particularly watching videos of bulls. I spent so, so much time working on being in incredible physical shape to handle any of the physical demands such as packing out the elk by myself, but I honestly feel like some of that time should have been spent trying to get as familiar as possible with the animals themselves.

For late season bulls;

When I first started hunting post rut bulls I wish I knew that when following a solo set of tracks in fresh snow - if the tracks suddenly make a big loop about halfway up the mountain the elk is likely bedded nearby. I messed up two great opportunities when I was younger after tracking a bull all morning only to end up busting the Elk out of his bed at about 50 yards each time. If I had just slowed down a little once they made that loop I could have possibly had a few shot opportunities.

Laramie

WKR
For late season bulls;

When I first started hunting post rut bulls I wish I knew that when following a solo set of tracks in fresh snow - if the tracks suddenly make a big loop about halfway up the mountain the elk is likely bedded nearby. I messed up two great opportunities when I was younger after tracking a bull all morning only to end up busting the Elk out of his bed at about 50 yards each time. If I had just slowed down a little once they made that loop I could have possibly had a few shot opportunities.
Great thing to point out. I also had several of them make wide loops once the figured out they were being followed. Pretty frustrating to track a bull back to your own tracks.