Thinking about getting rid of the Tundra.....

golfbum

WKR
Currently have a PAID off 2016 Tundra that I bought brand new. Truck has been great but the payload is crazy low and I would like to get a toy hauler for my family.

I am torn to stay with the tundra and get a small half ton towable toy hauler that most likely will be a little smaller then we would prefer and probably about as heavy as I would dare go with the tundra, or sell the tundra and get a 3/4-1ton used ford/Chevy and chance that it was taken care of and still be in debt for 10k or so.....this would open up trailer choices a lot and I could probably save some $ by finding a nice used trailer (halfton toy haulers are like finding a needle in a haystack around here).
How is to drive a diesel on a daily basis and how about reliability compared to my tundra. When the trailer is paid off we would most likely park the truck and get a daily driver and save whatever truck I have for towing/hunting or winter driving only.

OP
golfbum

golfbum

WKR
Anyone?

Looking into a 2016 f350 6.7 power stroke with about 30k miles.....

IdahoElk

WKR
Put a Supercharger on your Tundra.

Go here to find out what you might be getting into with a Power Stroke

Last edited:

BluMtn

WKR
I had a 2013 Toyota Tundra with the factory dealer installed supercharger on it. With the cold air intake and TRD exhaust it was rated at 540 horse. I have a 34' stealth toyhauler that I pulled with it. It was great except it only had a 20 gallon usable gas tank and when pulling the trailer would only get 6 MPG. 2 months ago I traded it for a new 2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax which has a 38 gallon tank and gets 12 MPH pulling the toyhauler. After pulling the trailer with both pickups I will say I am starting to like the Chevrolet better when it comes to towing. It has a little longer wheel base and handles the bumps smoother.

OP
golfbum

golfbum

WKR
Thanks for the reply, not concerned with the power of the Tundra or towing fast.....just want to do it safely and not beat up the truck with being to heavy.

Currently have a PAID off 2016 Tundra that I bought brand new. Truck has been great but the payload is crazy low and I would like to get a toy hauler for my family.

I am torn to stay with the tundra and get a small half ton towable toy hauler that most likely will be a little smaller then we would prefer and probably about as heavy as I would dare go with the tundra, or sell the tundra and get a 3/4-1ton used ford/Chevy and chance that it was taken care of and still be in debt for 10k or so.....this would open up trailer choices a lot and I could probably save some $ by finding a nice used trailer (halfton toy haulers are like finding a needle in a haystack around here).
How is to drive a diesel on a daily basis and how about reliability compared to my tundra. When the trailer is paid off we would most likely park the truck and get a daily driver and save whatever truck I have for towing/hunting or winter driving only.

I've always had Silverados until I jumped in the Tundra pool in '13. Got a brand new base model V8, put 100k miles on it, and exited... I travel quite a bit and think the Tundras are overrated. Went back to GM last summer with a HD2500 with Duramax and couldn't be happier. Gas mileage pulling a 23' boat is actually about the same as the Tundra was empty... plus I don't have to fill up a kid-size gas tank every few towns.

GotDraw?

WKR
I recently read where Hertz Car Rental is declaring bankruptcy due to Covid killing their rental biz.

Seems to me from what I read that the odds are high they will be selling a lot of cars, SUVs and rental pickups with relatively low miles starting in July. That will put a lot of downward price pressure on used vehicles. Might be a good time to look in later Summer.

JL

Tod osier

WKR
Thanks for the reply, not concerned with the power of the Tundra or towing fast.....just want to do it safely and not beat up the truck with being to heavy.

Having been in the same place, I went with a gas f250. I didn't need any more hp, just more capacity. Going from the tundra to f250 is only a few hp increase, for a lot heavier truck. The gas f250 gets similar gas mileage as the tundra did around town and just part of a mph worse towing 5k pounds.

When you start looking at the numbers it is shocking how low the capacity on the tundra is.

OP
golfbum

golfbum

WKR
So I am a pretty novice tower.

pull a four wheeler trailer but have never had a camping trailer behind me.

If I kept the tundra here are my specs:
1350#payload
9600 tow capacity
Crew max 4x4

toy hauler im looking at is a 24.5 foot 8200lb loaded (5200 dry)

http://www.genesissupremerv.com/GenesisTrailers

How safe would this be? How do you think it would tow behind the tundra?

if I go with a bigger pickup I would go somewhere about the same length but closer to 10,000 loaded weight and hope it’s a better built trailer

Tod osier

WKR
It would probably tow fine as far as hp. But you are going to be in danger of going overweight before even adding gear. 8k trailer has to have 800 pound tongue weight at the min of 10 percent. 800 plus 2 200 pound guys and you are maxed if they each have a sandwich and soda. The tongue weight is more than 800 usually. Anything in the bed or a cap adds. Tundra springs are light and the frame is not all that stiff.

Tundras are great, but not to tow with if you are towing over 5k .

fmyth

WKR
So I am a pretty novice tower.

pull a four wheeler trailer but have never had a camping trailer behind me.

If I kept the tundra here are my specs:
1350#payload
9600 tow capacity
Crew max 4x4

toy hauler im looking at is a 24.5 foot 8200lb loaded (5200 dry)

http://www.genesissupremerv.com/GenesisTrailers

How safe would this be? How do you think it would tow behind the tundra?

if I go with a bigger pickup I would go somewhere about the same length but closer to 10,000 loaded weight and hope it’s a better built trailer

I went from towing my 28' Genesis Supreme (7650 dry 10k plus loaded up) with a 2014 Ram 2500 Cummins to a 2019 Ram 1500 Hemi (equipped to tow 11,250). I towed it down through the Salt River Canyon and up the Mogollon Rim a few weeks ago. I had enough power to maintain the speed limit but did smoke my front brakes pulling into to a rest area at the bottom of the canyon. That never happened when towing with my Ram 2500 even when I towed my 15k lb 5th wheel. We had some sway when big trucks would pass us but it could be that my new truck has wheels/tires with much taller sidewalls and deep off road tread. We have a load dist hitch with bars now but will be adding a Reese Friction brake to one side. All in all I am still pleased with my 1500. 99% of my time I drive it as my basic transportation. It costs much less to maintain, is easier for us to get in and out of, is easier to park, is easier to fuel up etc. I do miss the Cummins the 1% of the time I am towing. I don't miss the big heavy diesel when I go hunting/off road.

Attachments

• 20200508_165544.jpg
    20200508_165544.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 59

Elk97

WKR
I recently read where Hertz Car Rental is declaring bankruptcy due to Covid killing their rental biz.

Seems to me from what I read that the odds are high they will be selling a lot of cars, SUVs and rental pickups with relatively low miles starting in July. That will put a lot of downward price pressure on used vehicles. Might be a good time to look in later Summer.

JL
Most of their inventory is for sale now but I don't think they have any 3/4 tons. Good deals on 1/2 tons though.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Guys really need to stop posting here if they don’t even know the difference between payload, towing capacity, and max trailer weight.

OP. I’ve driven them all. My wife and I hauled 150,000 miles a year and got a new truck every year from 2014-2018. These were all max capacity haul miles with a pig of a living quarters horse trailer.

.2014 GMC 3500 Dually. Great truck. Comfort and power were all there. A bit “needy” as far as maintenance goes.
.2015 Chevy 3500 Dually. Do not buy. First year of new body style. Turbo issues. Fuel system issues. Sold it at 85,000 miles after the 2nd turbo was starting to go out.
.2016 switched to Ram 3500 Dually. Best decision we’ve ever made. The truck just flat out hauls. Doesn’t need anything. Low maintenance.
.2017 Ram 3500 Dually. Same story as above.
.2018 Ram 3500 Single Rear Wheel. Same story as above.

The Aisin transmission and high output Cummins from Ram is the by far the best combo you can buy right now, especially when speaking to reliability and a truck that just wants to work hard.

Guys really need to stop posting here if they don’t even know the difference between payload, towing capacity, and max trailer weight.

OP. I’ve driven them all. My wife and I hauled 150,000 miles a year and got a new truck every year from 2014-2018. These were all max capacity haul miles with a pig of a living quarters horse trailer.

.2014 GMC 3500 Dually. Great truck. Comfort and power were all there. A bit “needy” as far as maintenance goes.
.2015 Chevy 3500 Dually. Do not buy. First year of new body style. Turbo issues. Fuel system issues. Sold it at 85,000 miles after the 2nd turbo was starting to go out.
.2016 switched to Ram 3500 Dually. Best decision we’ve ever made. The truck just flat out hauls. Doesn’t need anything. Low maintenance.

The Aisin transmission and high output Cummins from Ram is the by far the best combo you can buy right now, especially when speaking to reliability and a truck that just wants to work hard.

Yea if I was looking at anything for heavy towing or diesel it would be Ram also. Ford maybe next but definitely nothing GM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tod osier

WKR
assuming this is aimed at me Since I was the only one really talking numbers. I was focused on payload capacity, because it is very low on the tundra, as I have experienced. id appreciate a clarification if you have an issue with my numbers.

You're not going to like my answer/response.

Think about money before you think about the truck and camper. I'm not saying not to get a different truck and not to get a camper. But neither of them are worth going into debt for.

I got my first diesel two years ago and absolutely love it. I could never go back. But I also got an old 7.3 because the ford motors after the 7.3 have a terrible track record of high repair costs. The cummins are awesome, but the older ones (in my debt free price range) didn't come with crew cabs and that was a requirement.

Maybe buy a beater to get to work, sell the tundra (you're right - their payload capacity sucks), and put the cash into an older truck and toy hauler..

just my 2 cents, and probably not what you want to hear.

I have a 2015 Ford F350 6.7l Powerstroke for going on 6 years and 90,000 miles, most either carrying my Northern Lite cab-over camper or towing a cargo trailer or running both. Really a good truck, and the engine is economical, easy starting, and you'd hardly know it's a diesel. I prefer the seating and driving comfort of the F350 to my 2015 F150. Both get about the same fuel economy but the payload on the F350 is about double (3,400#s versus 1,750). Towing is also about double on the F350. Good luck!