Thinking about rifle scope change

kipper09

WKR
Wanted some input on my setup. After my first sheep hunt I realize how big sheep country is. My setup is a Barrett fieldcraft 6.5 creedmoor with a vx3 2.5-8 leupold. I am very confident with the gun to 300 yards. But after seeing the area and the possibilities I been considering going to a dial scope. Something I can dial to say 600 yards. How do you all feel about this and what kind of scope would you suggest. I realize this is gonna cost probably 8 ounces on the setup which I’m not positive I want to do. I have been researching some and it’s pretty overwhelming. I kind of been leaning towards a nightforce 2.5-10-42. Love to hear some opinions on it. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRUSS

WKR
To 600 yds lots of options without getting real heavy. Could possibly even use a reticle? Lot of different styles to choose from. Swarovski 4-12× and 3-18 are lightweight for what they are also leupold 4-14× and 3-15x would work IMO
Also both Swarovski and leupold have dial options.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mritter

FNG
I know some folks have poo poo’d the Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 but I have two of them and have never had any trouble. With a 6.5 Creedmoor there’s enough elevation dial for 600 yds (2700 FPS 143gr) and with my 300 Wby Mag (3200 FPS 180gr) there’s enough for 750 yds. Both are within my range of wanting/needing to shoot animals. I will say it would be nice to have more dial for fun steel pinging.

Weight wise, they are light...15.9 ounces vs. 20.5 for the 2.5-10x42 Nightforce you mention. The prices are comparable too.

After much reading, I chose to dial over using a “hold over” reticle for my scope. The 3x-15x leupold VX-5HD seems to fit the bill pretty nicely. Most of the scope is made in USA and is pretty darn nice for the price/weight.

Nightforce would have been my first choice, but the price of the Leupold was what I had to work with.

With 30 mm tube and 25 moa rings, the rifle/scope combo is capable of dialing well past 1000 yds. Much farther than I will ever even target shoot.

eamyrick

WKR
I have a nightforce nxs 2.5-10x42 on my 280. It doesn’t lack any magnification out to those realistic hunting distances and is bomb proof. Mine is the MOAR reticle but I can’t recommend holding using a reticle at those distances. Even 1/2 Moa of error is a lot of deviation from your intended impact, especially considering all of the other variables you will be dealing with. Dialing is the answer at those distances. Out to 400 or so the holdover would be alright but I wouldn’t push it to 600 on sheep/deer sized game expecting 1st round impacts.
For a cheaper option I’ve heard the SHV line also does well but the 3-10 has covered caps you would need to unscrew and I can only personally attest to the ruggedness of the NXS line (20 or so of the hardest use I could imagine and still hold zero)

066BC6AC-4BF9-465D-9612-FD94D4B9CDE8.jpeg

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
I’m also doing some looking too at the vx5 2-10-42 cds. Appreciate everybody’s input. Keep it coming.

easttex

Lil-Rokslider
I like using a reticle out to 600yds. You just need to validate your points of impact for the various stadia. Beyond 600 yards it makes sense to dial.

BuzzH

WKR
Sheep hunting defined by a friend of mine:

Hard to find, easy to kill.

Getting within a couple hundred yards of rams isn't tough. I wouldn't change your scope, maybe just your approach to sheep hunting.

I hear the same thing about pronghorn, just because they live where they can be seen from long range, doesn't mean you have to shoot them at long range.

Nothing wrong with hunting...sort of the point.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
Sheep hunting defined by a friend of mine:

Hard to find, easy to kill.

Getting within a couple hundred yards of rams isn't tough. I wouldn't change your scope, maybe just your approach to sheep hunting.

I hear the same thing about pronghorn, just because they live where they can be seen from long range, doesn't mean you have to shoot them at long range.

Nothing wrong with hunting...sort of the point.

Pretty solid point. May have been looking for an excuse to buy something haha.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
Meopta euro 10x42 Binos. No spotter. I’m from lower 48 so I have to go guided or draw the tag which I’m betting won’t happen any time soon. That’s why I don’t carry a spotter. I have considered actually moving up to some slc’s also.

rodney482

WKR
SLC’s wont out perform Meostars

Meopta euro 10x42 Binos. No spotter. I’m from lower 48 so I have to go guided or draw the tag which I’m betting won’t happen any time soon. That’s why I don’t carry a spotter. I have considered actually.

BuzzH

WKR
I could live a lot easier with a k4 weaver scope on my rifle and a good spotting scope...than the best rifle scope and no spotting scope.

I put a 9 oz. Leupold UL 3-9x33 with CDS on my .270 Kimber Mountain Ascent for a light wt. sheep outfit, and my son shot a dall last year at 633 yards. I've heard some bad reviews regarding Leupolds CDS dials, but I've had such good luck with the one on the .270, I put one on my Kimber Montana .300wsm as well. So, all that said, I'm not at all a long range hunter, and pretty much everything I've killed has been at under 250 yards, but it's nice to be able to easily dial the scope out beyond that and know that, in so far as elevation is concerned, I'll be where I need to be.

Westy35

FNG
I used a Swaro Z3 with the BRH reticle on my dall hunt in the Chugach this past fall. With that, you can get your dope and shoot a long ways without having to mess with dials, at basically the same weight as your Leupold. The Z5 with dials is also a great lightweight option with a turret.

rodney482

WKR
How do you set that up for Dall sheep elevation, temp etc

I used a Swaro Z3 with the BRH reticle on my dall hunt in the Chugach this past fall. With that, you can get your dope and shoot a long ways without having to mess with dials, at basically the same weight as your Leupold. The Z5 with dials is also a great lightweight option with a turret.

Westy35

FNG
How do you set that up for Dall sheep elevation, temp etc

With this:

https://ballisticprograms.swarovskioptik.com/Ballistic-Program

It's a set it and forget it approach. You wouldn't do real time temperature, humidity, elevation, etc. adjustments, but I'm not that skilled anyway, and this kept me well within minute of sheep on the practice range from field position at distances well beyond which I would shoot at an actual animal. That said, I'm not a guy that will take a 600 yard shot at an animal - I don't have the skills or reps to feel confident doing it. BUT, to feel very confident out to 400 yards with the ability to take very well informed (albeit not .1 mil or .25MOA precise) follow-up shots out to 600, all with 10x magnification and a scope that weighs 12.7oz....that suits me and my hunting style well.