Thinking about rifle scope change

Old and gray

Lil-Rokslider
The Swaro Z3 with the BRH or the Leopold with the B+C crosshairs combined with your fieldcraft rifle would give you a combo that’s hard to improve on.

Ive taken 14 rams personally, guided 29 more. All but 6 have been with either Leupold VX3 2.5-8's or the 4.5-14 all of them with the CDS dialing. Most are in the 200-400 yd range. Some closer a couple farther. I dialed to every one of them and have NEVER had issues in the backcountry or the 1000's of rnds at the range during the off season. What you have is a SOLID set up with no reason to change. IF you are to change the NF NXS 2.5-10 is badass as well with great optical quality. The SHV is a close second.

Westy35

FNG
Ive taken 14 rams personally, guided 29 more. All but 6 have been with either Leupold VX3 2.5-8's or the 4.5-14 all of them with the CDS dialing. Most are in the 200-400 yd range. Some closer a couple farther. I dialed to every one of them and have NEVER had issues in the backcountry or the 1000's of rnds at the range during the off season. What you have is a SOLID set up with no reason to change. IF you are to change the NF NXS 2.5-10 is badass as well with great optical quality. The SHV is a close second.

Hats off to you, Sir. That’s an INCREDIBLE sheep resume.

OP, I would listen to this guy if I were you. ^^^ I am definitely taking note.

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
I've only taken two rams, both with a GAP made 6.5 SAUM wearing a 2.5-10x42 NXS compact with MOAR reticle. The gun finished heavier than it was supposed to, so was little less worried about the extra 9.1oz of the NXS vs the VX3 2.5-8 that I also had ready to mount. It was torn between the two. I had the NXS on a couple other rifles in the past, trusted it, loved it, hoped I wouldn't even need to dial, but if I did, wanted to trust and comfort in knowing I could--so without hesitation I mounted the NXS. For long range, I love the NXS scopes and have had 12-15 over the past years on F-class and fun guns as well as a couple hunting rifles. Also a couple S&B, which are amazing, but always revert back to NXS because of my comfort with them over the course of all I have used.

That said, I picked up a new ultralight ti Action 6.5 SAUM from Lane Precision here on the board this fall. Planning to use it this next sheep season as the rifle finished out almost 2lb's lighter. So when trying to decide what scope to mount up, I was trying to decide between an extra VX3 2.5-8 or VX3 4.5-14 (one of my all time favorites) both with B&C reticles, or grab one of the Black Friday sale VX5/6 scopes. Finally put my hands on a VX6 with dial and played with it a bit. Nice glass, liked the lock on the dial, but couldn't get comfortable with the dial. Just trust how solid the NXS dials are--and stay after years of use. And having done countless box tests way out with them, I ultimately knew I what I had to do. I went and ordered another NXS 2.5-10x42 compact with MOAR reticle. No brainer for me--and the trust and comfort that extra 9.1 oz gives me over the 2.5-8 is simply worth it to me.

When it comes to glass, I don't run light--having carried that damn 95mm Swaro ATX from hell to breakfast on two sheep hunts now, I simply plan for that weight regardless. It is worth it. Funny thing was this year for moose, I actually took the 95mm objective off and brought the 65mm I picked up for a lightweight option. It is super cute with little objective and so much easier to fit into the pack, but come sheep season, it will wear the 95mm without hesitation.

On the turrets vs reticles, make sure to note that if using second focal plane scope, which is what most are, the reticles are only accurate at certain power. Dial works regardless what magnification you have set. I haven't used the dial on a hunt since a moose 7 seasons ago, but it is nice to know it is there if I decide I need it--and I use it every single time I go to the range, even when just load development, with steel set up at our local range from 200-1000, I cannot help but blow off a dozen or more rounds at the end of a range session playing with different plates. It builds both confidence and trust in your set up--and fun at the same time.

Good luck.

OH--almost forgot, Brownells/Sinclair has a big sale on the NXS compact 2.5-10x42 for Black Friday, like $500 off. When I went to order, they had just ran out, but saw Doug at Camera Land's ad here on the forum saying to give them a call if needed anything. Called them up and they price matched with free shipping last week.

OXN939

WKR
Don’t research reliable dialing scopes. It is better to not know.

Lol.

On a serious note, I'm waiting for empirical evidence that every optics company in the world other than SWFA and Nightforce makes shoddy optics. To the contrary, just to give one example, we have a very scientific review from a Rokslide contributor including tracking tests of the most-maligned dialable optic on this website, which shows it performing admirably.

But then some dude gets on here and repeats that "I've seen tons of Leupolds and Vortexes go down" and guys start throwing thousands at the optics companies he then immediately recommends.

Interesting to watch.

Out to 400 or so the holdover would be alright but I wouldn’t push it to 600 on sheep/deer sized game expecting 1st round impacts.

View attachment 138118

Slick rig. 100% with you on those distances you mention. Holding MOA groups at 400 yards with a BDC reticle is a tall order.

tdot

WKR
I have a NXS 2.5-10 x 42 with the IHR reticle. And the more I use it, the more I'm starting to prefer it over the MOAR reticle that I have on my other SHV and NXS scopes. It's a very clean and fast reticle for anything below 200 yards. I now dial for both wind and elevation.

The only downside is that I cant hold for wind, and no ability to use the reticle as a ruler. But I can honestly say I dont miss those abilities in hunting situations as 75% or my game is shot sub 300 yards.

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
Another one to look at us US Optics. They have the TS-12x and TS-20x for good prices ($350 and $900 if you know where to look) and the B-17 ($2000 if you know where to look). It’s USO so they have quality stuff, it’s US made and they stand by their products. A buddy of mine has one of their TPALs from a few years ago and that thing is amazing.

Ratbeetle

WKR
Lol.

On a serious note, I'm waiting for empirical evidence that every optics company in the world other than SWFA and Nightforce makes shoddy optics. To the contrary, just to give one example, we have a very scientific review from a Rokslide contributor including tracking tests of the most-maligned dialable optic on this website, which shows it performing admirably.

But then some dude gets on here and repeats that "I've seen tons of Leupolds and Vortexes go down" and guys start throwing thousands at the optics companies he then immediately recommends.

Interesting to watch.

Slick rig. 100% with you on those distances you mention. Holding MOA groups at 400 yards with a BDC reticle is a tall order.

Makes you wonder the motivations, doesn't it?

amassi

WKR
Lol.

Interesting to watch.

Preach !

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Lol.

Interesting to watch.

If you’re paying attention, its far more than one person experiencing issues with standard lightweight scopes retaining zero and tracking correctly.

tdot

WKR
Lol.

Interesting to watch.

I'm guessing I know who you're speaking of, I can't say I'm the biggest fan of the delivery of some his info. But look into what he does, who he is. A little background added alot more weight to his comments, for me, I'm considerably less skeptical now.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a NXS 2.5-10 x 42 with the IHR reticle. And the more I use it, the more I'm starting to prefer it over the MOAR reticle that I have on my other SHV and NXS scopes. It's a very clean and fast reticle for anything below 200 yards. I now dial for both wind and elevation.

The only downside is that I cant hold for wind, and no ability to use the reticle as a ruler. But I can honestly say I dont miss those abilities in hunting situations as 75% or my game is shot sub 300 yards.

the nxs 2.5-10 is right up there as one of my top choices but I’d want it with the mil reticle and it’s sort of strange to have a mil reticle on a sfp scope. I’m sure practice with it would fix that though. I have an shv 4-14 f1 which is cool but it’s huge and weighs like 2lbs.

tdot

WKR
the nxs 2.5-10 is right up there as one of my top choices but I’d want it with the mil reticle and it’s sort of strange to have a mil reticle on a sfp scope. I’m sure practice with it would fix that though. I have an shv 4-14 f1 which is cool but it’s huge and weighs like 2lbs.

I've never shot a scope with FFP. I did consider them for awhile. But this is the way I looked at it. In a low power scopes, such as the 2.5-10, if I have to hold for wind, I'm shooting at a distance great enough that I will be at 10x power anyways. So really the FFP didnt matter to me and my applications. Now I could see that changing dramatically if you use a higher power scope or the reticle to measure.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I've never shot a scope with FFP. I did consider them for awhile. But this is the way I looked at it. In a low power scopes, such as the 2.5-10, if I have to hold for wind, I'm shooting at a distance great enough that I will be at 10x power anyways. So really the FFP didnt matter to me and my applications. Now I could see that changing dramatically if you use a higher power scope or the reticle to measure.

I do t measure with the reticle, never have and can’t imagine I’ll start. It’s just for biker drop for me. You are right I’d just hate to be in a rushed situation and not realize I wasn’t dialed up to 10x and miss. That being said as I typed that out I realize that is probably unlikely but it would suck.

on my ffp scopes I can’t say I find myself walking around with them set on 7 power or something like that.

OXN939

WKR
If you’re paying attention, its far more than one person experiencing issues with standard lightweight scopes retaining zero and tracking correctly.

Fair enough! To be clear, I'm not saying that any of the aforementioned companies is or is not beyond reproach- just that I haven't seen anyone report in nearly as scientific a manner as the link I originally included a test of one of their optics failing. The only thread I've seen recently that credibly shows an optics failure was that one dude whose parallax knob came off on a Vortex Viper.

I'm guessing I know who you're speaking of, I can't say I'm the biggest fan of the delivery of some his info. But look into what he does, who he is. A little background added alot more weight to his comments, for me, I'm considerably less skeptical now.

I'm all ears if anyone provides credentials and/or some empirical data. Maybe I'm missing something, but all I've seen is "Every optics manufacturer in the world sucks because I say so. Except these, which you should buy."

Which, interestingly, also have plenty of the same kind of anectdotal reports of failures.

Screenshot_20191218-074306_Chrome.jpg

Last edited: