Thinking about rifle scope change

tdot

WKR
I do t measure with the reticle, never have and can’t imagine I’ll start. It’s just for biker drop for me. You are right I’d just hate to be in a rushed situation and not realize I wasn’t dialed up to 10x and miss. That being said as I typed that out I realize that is probably unlikely but it would suck.

on my ffp scopes I can’t say I find myself walking around with them set on 7 power or something like that.

Do you use the FFP for hunting?

Where do you normally keep the magnification set? Where do you normally set the magnification for the shot? What power scope is it?

I cant genuinely say that I remember shooting an animal where my scope wasnt set at either the minimum setting (where it is set while I stock/hunt) or the maximum setting (animal spotted, have time to setup, adjust scope).

I was actually considering getting a 1-8x FFP scope so that I have a lit dot at 1x and a useful reticle at 8x.

tdot

WKR
Fair enough! To be clear, I'm not saying that any of the aforementioned companies is or is not beyond reproach- just that I haven't seen anyone report in nearly as scientific a manner as the link I originally included a test of one of their optics failing. The only thread I've seen recently that credibly shows an optics failure was that one dude whose parallax knob came off on a Vortex Viper.

I'm all ears if anyone provides credentials and/or some empirical data. Maybe I'm missing something, but all I've seen is "Every optics manufacturer in the world sucks because I say so. Except these, which you should buy."

Which, interestingly, also have plenty of the same kind of anectdotal reports of failures.

View attachment 140790

I don't need nor want to convince you of anything. You clearly know what's up.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Do you use the FFP for hunting?

Where do you normally keep the magnification set? Where do you normally set the magnification for the shot? What power scope is it?

I cant genuinely say that I remember shooting an animal where my scope wasnt set at either the minimum setting (where it is set while I stock/hunt) or the maximum setting (animal spotted, have time to setup, adjust scope).

I was actually considering getting a 1-8x FFP scope so that I have a lit dot at 1x and a useful reticle at 8x.

I do use FFP for hunting but not exclusivly. I have a couple SWFA 3-9s and that SHV 4-14 f1. The magnification just depends but they are rarely set a the minimum magnification because I just dont find them all that useful at that power. With the illumination on, you are right, yo get a red dot which works pretty well.

amassi

WKR
Ffp and hunting I typically roll on 6x but depends on the reticle, you won't k kw until you test in darker conditions on a wet deer what works best for you

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I run a NXS 2.5-10 x 32 Mil reticle. As far as FFP or SFP on a hunting scope, if you'r sighted in at 200, even a drop of 6" on a 300 yard shot is easily held for without a dial or reticle mark. I cannot see how SFP would make an actual real world difference, for me atleast. If the target is 300+ yards out, you will be on your highest magnification and taking the time to dial. Would you really be rushing so much as to forget to dial up from 4x at those distances?

I run a NXS 2.5-10 x 32 Mil reticle. As far as FFP or SFP on a hunting scope, if you'r sighted in at 200, even a drop of 6" on a 300 yard shot is easily held for without a dial or reticle mark. I cannot see how SFP would make an actual real world difference, for me atleast. If the target is 300+ yards out, you will be on your highest magnification and taking the time to dial. Would you really be rushing so much as to forget to dial up from 4x at those distances?

im pretty sure I shot my sheep at 5x or less @ 300 yards with a 2.5-10 nxs. I was mildly rushed and wanted to be able to find sheep in the scope quick and also be able to have a large field of view to be able to see the other sheep in the group. It’s nice to be able to see body language of nearby animals and helps to prevent shooting the wrong animal.
Didnt need to hold wind but I could see how a guy could end up a little off with SFP. Not enough to prevent me from using SFP with scopes topping out @ 10x though.

Last edited:
I personally wouldn’t be comfortable shooting with just a BDC reticle out to 600 yards. The numbers on a 6.5 CM with a 143 ELD-X show 7” of drop from 575 yds to 600 yds, at 7000’ and 30 degrees. That decreases as elevation and temps increase, but its really close to unacceptable if everything goes right. If you add in 2” of aiming error because you’re trying to split that hash mark gap into quarters, then 2” that you may pull the shot, wind blowing up the canyon, etc, you’re looking at hitting almost a foot from where you’re aiming. No bueno.

It was one thing when that’s all the was available, the technology is there now, even if you just use a VX-3 CDS.

If you decide that you won’t take a shot beyond 400 yards, disregard and carry on.