Thinking About the Dark Side, Have Questions

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
2. What does ramp up time look like? I have good form, and a solid shot sequence. Is this something I could have ready to hunt (25-35 yards) in 3-4 weeks?

Pretty sure you'd be ready to hunt with it the same day you put it all together and tune it. You've already got the archery form and fundamentals down. The first time I picked up a bow I was concerned about missing the target at 10 yards. But within a week I was shooting good groups at 60 yards and have never looked back. Just make sure your shoulder is ready.

zog

Lil-Rokslider
Just make sure your shoulder is ready.
Yes, this. Different muscles at work. I have heard of as many shoulder issues with compound as with stick. Just different issues due to max weight right as you start the draw, instead of when you anchor.

OP
Trumpkin The Dwarf
Yes, this. Different muscles at work. I have heard of as many shoulder issues with compound as with stick. Just different issues due to max weight right as you start the draw, instead of when you anchor.
I didn't have shoulder surgery, actually. I had to get my colon removed. So it's abdominal wall healing that needs to happen.

sneaky

"DADDY"
PSE has made several long draw bows over the years and can be had at very reasonable prices. Freak, Beast, Decree HD 35s, Vendetta 34 goes to 32" and can be found cheap and is one of the smoothest drawing cams they ever made. You can find a complete setup on one of those for under $500 and just buy some arrows and a release and go shoot. No need to spend big bucks on one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I didn't have shoulder surgery, actually.

Man, I have no idea where I got "shoulder surgery" from........I know I read it somewhere. Maybe I read another shoulder surgery thread right before this one so had it on the brain. I had to go back and read your posts again, and sure enough........nothing in there about a shoulder. Sorry about that.

Good luck on the bow search. I shoot at 32 1/2"+ and it's tough to find decent used bows in those lengths. I'm also LH, so it gets even harder.

Novy

FNG
Find a PSE pro shop dealer and ask for Drive XL. Best mid range bow out there that goes to 32" draw. We sell alot of these and most of the time its completely set up shooting for under 1k. The drive xl shoots great/forgiving and tunes really easy. For high end bows look for a mathews traverse, hoyt axius ultra, or pse evo 33.