Thinking New hunting truck

Brooks

WKR
I came across a 2022 Tacoma SR5 4WD crew cab I think I’m going to buy. The big Ford F-350 CC I have is a little too big and stout for all the back country hunting I take it on so it’s going to be a horse and equipment hauler only. Anyone have any experience with a Tacoma SR5 as a hunting truck ? Off road, rough 2 tacks….no mans land type driving.

I just bought a 2 door Jeep for a hunting rig. Shitty daily driver but I was glad I had it on gnarly/rocky 2 tracks with dense brush. Modern enough comforts with go anywhere capability.

I wouldn't want to have taken a brand new truck on those trails (maybe would have made it, but you'd have pinstriped the crap out of it). But your definition of off road might be different than mine...

All said, this is the worst time in human history to buy any vehicle.

3forks

WKR
Can’t believe I’m suggesting this because in general, I’m not a fan of SXSs, but they make a lot sense for guys who don’t want to beat up their trucks when off the road.

I‘m sure you’ve already considered it, but if you’re going to keep your F350 and can trailer the SXS to where you want, any reasons why you wouldn’t get a SXS?

Can’t believe I’m suggesting this because in general, I’m not a fan of SXSs, but they make a lot sense for guys who don’t want to beat up their trucks when off the road.

I‘m sure you’ve already considered it, but if you’re going to keep your F350 and can trailer the SXS to where you want, any reasons why you wouldn’t get a SXS?

I have a SXS too. The issue is that they are not pavement legal in my state, with a couple small exceptions in certain towns. This means you're married to a single trailhead in some cases, which can be fine. But with the Jeep I'm essentially a SXS that can hop on the highway and hit another trail.

Tradeoffs either way.

In this market buying new makes a lot more sense than it used to. Sure you overpay a few grand new, but the markup on used vehicles is totally insane.

3forks

WKR
I have a SXS too. The issue is that they are not pavement legal in my state, with a couple small exceptions in certain towns. This means you're married to a single trailhead in some cases, which can be fine. But with the Jeep I'm essentially a SXS that can hop on the highway and hit another trail.

Tradeoffs either way.

In this market buying new makes a lot more sense than it used to. Sure you overpay a few grand new, but the markup on used vehicles is totally insane.
That makes sense.

But from what I’ve seen - I thought the beauty of a SXS was that if you decided to move to new location, you just turn the direction of the way you want to go and make your own trail to where you’re headed.

Shows you what I know.

That makes sense.

But from what I’ve seen - I thought the beauty of a SXS was that if you decided to move to new location, you just turn the direction of the way you want to go and make your own trail to where you’re headed.

Shows you what I know.

Yeah you have to stay on established trails. In national Forest or BLM you pretty much can't just cut trail anywhere or you risk getting cited for habitat destruction or something.

Heck, even many of the established popular ATV trails are getting closed off due to the exploding popularity of SXS's. At least out here, they're less and less useful/fun...

Eyeman

FNG
Taco all the way.
I drive a white one. The other colors, especially darker shows the custom pinstriping way more.
Icon shocks and one size bigger on the tires [after I wore out the stock tires] and it does everything I need it too.
Mine came stock with the e locker in the rear. It helps in a pinch sometimes. [Highly suggested]
It gets a lot of Hunting and off road use in the desert and mountains for Hunting.
Dont really use it for a daily driver though to save the miles for Hunting.
It sure beats riding roads in a big truck.

3forks

WKR
Yeah you have to stay on established trails. In national Forest or BLM you pretty much can't just cut trail anywhere or you risk getting cited for habitat destruction or something.

Heck, even many of the established popular ATV trails are getting closed off due to the exploding popularity of SXS's. At least out here, they're less and less useful/fun...
Ha. Sorry, I was being sarcastic.

I came across a 2022 Tacoma SR5 4WD crew cab I think I’m going to buy. The big Ford F-350 CC I have is a little too big and stout for all the back country hunting I take it on so it’s going to be a horse and equipment hauler only. Anyone have any experience with a Tacoma SR5 as a hunting truck ? Off road, rough 2 tacks….no mans land type driving.
I work for a tow company and most of us drive tacomas and tundras for the simple reason that we rarely tow them. I went from a tundra to a tacoma for better off-road ability and it is much better at that due to the smaller size and the traction control system is really good. I got the trd off road because it had the locking rear differential but it isn’t really necessary, the traction control system is that good. I’ve used the locker twice in really bad spots that I shouldn’t have been in and made no difference anyway and at that point ended up using the winch. I do regret not getting the 6’ bed, I opted for the four door short bed for a shorter wheelbase and better off-roading which is great but was ultimately a mistake. I have to get creative when packing for extended hunting trips. I should have bought the extended cab 6’ bed since nobody ever sits in the back seat anymore now that the kids are driving. The v6 has plenty of power, actually more than a lot of full size 1/2 ton trucks used to have. Another bonus is if you end up not liking it the resale value is always ridiculous.

OP
B

Brooks

WKR
With a SXS I would always have to go back to the trailer. Here in NM you can end up a long ways from the trailer. Don’t really want to have to go back to a trailer.

Mainejohn

FNG
Ram 2500, the best ride

manitou1

WKR
Until about six years ago, all I drove was Tacomas... for about 20 years. They would get around (off road) a lot better than the bigger trucks. I would go across fields followed by buddies in full size trucks and they would get stuck. Have had Tacomas in mud whereas they were dragging the differential knuckles through the mud and they just kept going.
Only reason I went away from Tacomas is the fact that we towed a camper and now, a trailer with a SxS on it.

Eyeman

FNG
I work for a tow company and most of us drive tacomas and tundras for the simple reason that we rarely tow them. I went from a tundra to a tacoma for better off-road ability and it is much better at that due to the smaller size and the traction control system is really good. I got the trd off road because it had the locking rear differential but it isn’t really necessary, the traction control system is that good. I’ve used the locker twice in really bad spots that I shouldn’t have been in and made no difference anyway and at that point ended up using the winch. I do regret not getting the 6’ bed, I opted for the four door short bed for a shorter wheelbase and better off-roading which is great but was ultimately a mistake. I have to get creative when packing for extended hunting trips. I should have bought the extended cab 6’ bed since nobody ever sits in the back seat anymore now that the kids are driving. The v6 has plenty of power, actually more than a lot of full size 1/2 ton trucks used to have. Another bonus is if you end up not liking it the resale value is always ridiculous.
Mine is a 14 and didn't come with traction control. So the locker helps.
I should add I do have a winch which is just a decoration until you need it. Then it is worth what I paid for it. Needed it once so far.