Thinking of a new Knight UL - bullet suggestions

First, I am in Idaho and if not successful during archery, have a muzzleloader cow tag. I have a Vortek Northwest that I picked up at Sportsmans a few years back. It's ok, seems to shoot straight, but I am thinking of upgrading to a Knight UL.

I am currently shooting the lead powerbelts in the Vortek. What bullet suggestions does everyone have for the Knight? Idaho rules are no sabots, and need to be lead or lead alloy.

Thanks,

-dan

First, I am in Idaho and if not successful during archery, have a muzzleloader cow tag. I have a Vortek Northwest that I picked up at Sportsmans a few years back. It's ok, seems to shoot straight, but I am thinking of upgrading to a Knight UL.

I am currently shooting the lead powerbelts in the Vortek. What bullet suggestions does everyone have for the Knight? Idaho rules are no sabots, and need to be lead or lead alloy.

Thanks,

-dan
Dan i would really suggest a lead conical from Bull Shop. I use the 460MTNex but after shooting them I really think the 400 LGP is the way to go... I hate lead but that is what it takes here in Idaho.

This pic shows a few of the conicals that Dan makes.

bullshopBullets.jpg

His web site is hard to navigate but this link will get you to the 50 cal. bullets

You will also need a wad of some sort to go under the bullet and on top of the powder. The best thing I have found is the MMP BBSB. Ballistic sub bridge. I did check with F&G LEO's about using this with in Idaho regulations. Since it does not attach or surround the bullet - they deemed it was OK.

Hope you find something you would like.

O you will love the Knight UL

18-9-Western-Ulite.jpg

Last edited:

Scorpion

WKR
Dan i would really suggest a lead conical from Bull Shop. I use the 460MTNex but after shooting them I really think the 400 LGP is the way to go... I hate lead but that is what it takes here in Idaho.

This pic shows a few of the conicals that Dan makes.

bullshopBullets.jpg

His web site is hard to navigate but this link will get you to the 50 cal. bullets

You will also need a wad of some sort to go under the bullet and on top of the powder. The best thing I have found is the MMP BBSB. Ballistic sub bridge. I did check with F&G LEO's about using this with in Idaho regulations. Since it does not attach or surround the bullet - they deemed it was OK.

Hope you find something you would like.

O you will love the Knight UL

18-9-Western-Ulite.jpg
Sabotloader - what sight setup is that?

Scorpion, I am assuming you are asking about the peep sight although I do change the front sight also. It is a NECG-Weaver Peep Sight. It is designed to mount on a Weaver style scope block

NECG-a.jpg

I used this peep in the beginning because my favorite peep the Williams FP Peep would not mount on the ULite or Mountaineer with a factory stock without modification of stock and sight.

Later - this year in fact I decided to go ahead with the modifications to both the sight and the stock and mounted a Williams FP

Williams_FP_Peep.jpg

Williams_FP_Peep_Sight.jpg

I have not shot an animal with them yet.
But for an Oregon/Idaho legal load i have settled on.
420 No Excuses over 100 grns Pyrodex
Its shooting about 2" @ 100 with a Williams peep. And factory front bead.
I'm also making consistent hits to 200 yards in a 12" plate.
Not the best but good enough for me considering the bullet style and my shooting ability.

Attachments

• 20200110_100112.jpg
    20200110_100112.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20200504_173330.jpg
    20200504_173330.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 18
I have not shot an animal with them yet.
But for an Oregon/Idaho legal load i have settled on.
420 No Excuses over 100 grns Pyrodex
Its shooting about 2" @ 100 with a Williams peep. And factory front bead.
I'm also making consistent hits to 200 yards in a 12" plate.
Not the best but good enough for me considering the bullet style and my shooting ability.
Whats you complete build? Is it similar to sabotloaders?