Thinking of doing a tikka build. Questions

Rus

FNG
So first off I know absolutely nothing about building a rifle or changing the caliber of a rifle. I have hunted my whole life but haven’t ever been down that rabbit whole! I’ve been watching that Tikka build thread and it’s kinda got me all fired up those are some sweet looking rifles. I would like to build a 280 ai. My questions are what caliber Tikka would be best to start with? What all is involved in it. How many different parts do I need and about how much money I’m I looking at? These are probably all newbie questions but starting to get sucked into the rabbit hole. Thanks for any info.

Any Tikka action will work. They are all the same. If you start with a short action you just need to replace the bolt stop which turns it into a long action. Very easy to do. You could just rechamber a 7mm-08 and change the bolt stop. I have HCA doing a 280ai for me on a T3 action from a 30-06. You don't want to start with magnum caliber as the bolt for the magnums is different.

Gorp2007

WKR
Any caliber with a standard bolt face will work if you swap the bolt stop, but if you get a small (.223) or magnum bolt you'll need to swap to a standard bolt face as well. If you're going to 280AI your best bet would be a long action cartridge in a standard bolt face (270 Win or 30-06 for example).

PNWGATOR

WKR
Barrel twist on a rechambered 7mm08 wouldn’t be ideal for the higher BC bullets. Especially copper.

83cj-7

WKR
I’ve built two Tikka based 280 Remington rifles. One started as a 270 the other a 25-06. Easier to start with a 30-06, 270 or 25-06 due to bolt stop length and the magazine will be correct for the 280.

Top rifle is my most recent .280

Attachments

• CAECF7E3-24EF-4DDC-80F0-C04234265ACE.jpeg
    CAECF7E3-24EF-4DDC-80F0-C04234265ACE.jpeg
    276.4 KB · Views: 138
I have a 280 AI built off a Tikka. I built the rifle with the 162 ELD-X in mind but couldn't get them to shoot straight. So I went with the tried and true 168 Bergers and found a good load with RL-26. I purchased an aftermarket magazine that allowed me to seat the bullets closer to the riflings. My opinion is that these are the longest COAL cartridges to use a Tikka action on, and even so we are pushing it. They are maxed out with the magazine length.

83cj-7

WKR
Odd, I built mine with that bullet in mind as well. It shot okay, but nothing like the 168 ABLR under RL26. I had my smith throat the rifle so both bullets would be ideal length to fit in the mags.

OP
R

Rus

FNG
So it sounds like it might not be ideal to change a tikka to a 280 ai? Would it be a better idea just to buy a factory 280 ai? Like I said I’m totally new to the customization game.

So it sounds like it might not be ideal to change a tikka to a 280 ai? Would it be a better idea just to buy a factory 280 ai? Like I said I’m totally new to the customization game.
The only issue with Tikkas is they are limited on magazine length with longer cartridges shooting long bullets, that are seated out further to maximize case capacity.
What bullet do you plan on shooting?
If you're not having it custom throated then the factory magazine will probably work, otherwise you may need aftermarket bottom metal.

You can get really good prefit Tikka barrels for about $400, check out Criterion.
I'd go with a Mesa altitude carbon fiber stock ($600), and you'd be set

PNWGATOR

WKR
It’s a piece of cake to change a Tikka to a 280 ai. Buy a Tikka 30.06 or 270. Buy a .284 barrel twisted 1:9 in the length and contour of your choice and send it to Shaen Magen and have him chamber and throat it for you. Done. If you want an aftermarket stock, order an Altera Carbon Hunter and send it with the Tikka barreled action and barrel to Shaen. Have him bed the stock and adjust the trigger and you’ll have a 280 ai to hunt the world with. It’s easy. Super easy.

This thread has me curious about options. I've loosely been in the market for a 280ai or a 7mm-08 as a lighter kicking option to my Tikka 7mm RM. If I stayed with the original stock, how hard is it to convert the 7mm RM to a 280ai? Estimates on total cost through someone like Shaen?
It’s a piece of cake to change a Tikka to a 280 ai. Buy a Tikka 30.06 or 270. Buy a .284 barrel twisted 1:9 in the length and contour of your choice and send it to Shaen Magen and have him chamber and throat it for you. Done. If you want an aftermarket stock, order an Altera Carbon Hunter and send it with the Tikka barreled action and barrel to Shaen. Have him bed the stock and adjust the trigger and you’ll have a 280 ai to hunt the world with. It’s easy. Super easy.

This thread has me curious about options. I've loosely been in the market for a 280ai or a 7mm-08 as a lighter kicking option to my Tikka 7mm RM. If I stayed with the original stock, how hard is it to convert the 7mm RM to a 280ai? Estimates on total cost through someone like Shaen?
In your case go with a 7 saum, pretty much the same capacity as a 280 ai.
They're perfect in a Tikka 7mm mag rebarrel, if you want really light recoil then the 6.5 prc is a good way to go

NLISBON

FNG
Classified Approved
I have a 280 AI built off a Tikka. I built the rifle with the 162 ELD-X in mind but couldn't get them to shoot straight. So I went with the tried and true 168 Bergers and found a good load with RL-26. I purchased an aftermarket magazine that allowed me to seat the bullets closer to the riflings. My opinion is that these are the longest COAL cartridges to use a Tikka action on, and even so we are pushing it. They are maxed out with the magazine length.
WHICH AFTERMARKET MAGAZINE ?

ecsn7d

FNG
I’ve built two Tikka based 280 Remington rifles. One started as a 270 the other a 25-06. Easier to start with a 30-06, 270 or 25-06 due to bolt stop length and the magazine will be correct for the 280.

Top rifle is my most recent .280
What are the stocks?

Buck197

WKR
I'm actually talking to Shaen about swapping my Tikka .308, Great guy, everything I've read says his works top notch.

slowelk

WKR
Don’t do it. Between waiting for parts and waiting for a gun smith to put it all together, especially in this climate, you are probably a year out from having a finished product.

I have gone the semi-custom route and ended up just wishing I’d gone with a high-end factory route. I’d have been doing a lot more shooting and a lot less waiting. A few companies are starting to make a 280ai, like browning, but if you’re looking at spending the coin of a all-out custom tikka, I’d look at a Fierce or a Cooper instead. Going with something along those lines also comes with an accuracy guarantee. Or buy a Sako in 7 mag.

I know the semi-custom route makes you think you’ll feel special because there isn’t another gun out there that’s just like yours, but it’s not worth it.

gbflyer

WKR
Don’t do it. Between waiting for parts and waiting for a gun smith to put it all together, especially in this climate, you are probably a year out from having a finished product.

I have gone the semi-custom route and ended up just wishing I’d gone with a high-end factory route. I’d have been doing a lot more shooting and a lot less waiting. A few companies are starting to make a 280ai, like browning, but if you’re looking at spending the coin of a all-out custom tikka, I’d look at a Fierce or a Cooper instead. Going with something along those lines also comes with an accuracy guarantee. Or buy a Sako in 7 mag.

I know the semi-custom route makes you think you’ll feel special because there isn’t another gun out there that’s just like yours, but it’s not worth it.

The other consideration in addition to the point above is resale. This is not important to some but it is to others. A person will seldom recover an investment in a “parts gun”.

Stocks are (were) Manners EHT. I have since sold them and I’m waiting on two AG Privateer stocks.
I like the looks and weight of the AG stocks, but they don't show Tikka inletting? Is that something they'll do custom if you contact them?