Thinking of trying copper, need advice on bullet.

bigsky2

Lil-Rokslider
I drew an oryx tag and I need to find a new bullet. I currently shoot 130 gr Hornady SST's out of my .270. They have worked great on deer for me, but I've heard some bad stories when people have shot elk with them. Since oryx are closer to the size of an elk than a deer, I thought I better shoot a different bullet. Lately I've been kind of interested in switching to copper. I reached out to Steve from Hammer bullets and he suggested the 117 gr Hammer Hunters or the 133 gr Shock Hammers. He thought the 117 gr would be the better choice of the two. I have also considered Barnes TSX or TTSX. If I went with Barnes, should I stick to 130 gr or size down? I have heard when switching to copper people typically go down in bullet weight.

For those not familiar with oryx, their vitals are farther forward behind the shoulder. Would you hesitate to shoot a bigger animal like that in the shoulder with a 117 gr bullet? Maybe I should just stick with lead and just find a bullet that is better suited for animals bigger than deer. Thoughts or recommendations?

nhyrum

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't discount a good bonded bullet either, e.g. nosler. For monolithic, it's hard to beat cutting edge bullets. Unless you have the slightest sticker shock. My first move would be a bigger gun, but I get that's not always able or preferred. The right bullet here should do the job.

Check out cutting edge bullets. There a lot of match bullets, but also a lot of hunting bullets. Taken a few deer with them (I know, apples, oranges, blah blah blah) and they always performed well.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
I'd say to buy a box or two of factory Coppers and try em.

117 copper is plenty if you go that route.

Mark86

Lil-Rokslider
The 129 Barnes LRX has been great for me in the ol 270 win give it a try. Shot a bear this spring with it and 2 bulls last year no problemo

Jsn_leonard

Lil-Rokslider
TTSX, GMX and the LRX have all performed well for me on elk an deer. Had a client shoot a bull with Nosler copper and it broke into a lot of small frag. Stick with Barnes or Hornady in my opinion

Tobey

Lil-Rokslider
I've personally witnessed three oryx killed to death with a 270 and 130 ttsx, ranges between 200 and 350 yards. Barnes bullets have been used on the last five oryx I've been a party to, 127 lrx in creedmoor, 180 ttsx in 338-06 and the 270's I mentioned. All resulted in a steaming pile of steaks. This isn't intended to be a barnes commercial but a tough mono bullet makes a lot of sense in my experience, I'm no expert but I've killed two oryx and directly contributed to the demise of, and performed autopsies upon, 8 others so I have some theories. Keep in mind that an ideal shot on an oryx involves penetrating the thickest most heavily muscled part of the animal, ideally breaking one or both shoulders as you center the heart. I used a 140 trophy bonded bear claw in 270 wsm on my first oryx, killed it fine but had the least amount of penetration of any bullet I've seen used. 117 grainer seems odd to me, I'd go heavier if you can, but I'm just starting to use hammer bullets and don't have any on game experience with them. I'm not a 270 kind of person anymore but I think a good mono in the 130 range and you should be good to go. Not a lot of margin for error on oryx so whatever you go with buy a bunch and shoot most of them before you go. Congrats on the tag! post some pics

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have had great luck with Barnes TTSX. Years ago I killed a mature bull elk with the 140 TTSX out of a 270 WSM. Worked great, but I wouldn't hesitate to go with the 130 either.

SDHNTR

WKR
If .270 is your only choice you want some juice. The Hammer guy recommended the Hammer Hunter 117 over the 133 Shock Hammer because it’s tougher. If you want to shoot Hammers, stick with the Hammer Hunter line as you want tough, but you also want more Weight than 117 gr imo. Or stick with a Barnes or Horny GMX. On an oryx, you need penetration more than expansion. You want to get through their big tough shoulders. They also have some crazy thick and rubbery hide.

MeatBuck

WKR
You’ll be fine with the recommendation of Steve. Just match the bullet and bbl twist rate.
I ran a .243 70g hunter through 5 pieces of Sheetrock two pieces 1/2” plywood and two 2x4s and it tumbled through the 2x4s and exited backwards at 300yds. The .277 line will do even better.
Just got to see the 156g through blacktails shoulder. Blew through the ball socket and exited the off side at 300yds no problem. Shot was forward of vitals but still killed it with in 30seconds.
6025BED2-2304-4CBD-B5EF-40E337F94B7E.jpegA1016F5D-F49E-4266-AEF7-099D53873E6E.jpeg5EEB16FB-55A5-42C3-AF8D-AA5528C626D6.jpeg

OP
B

bigsky2

Lil-Rokslider
What ranges are you looking at shooting? I've never heard a bad thing about hammers.

Probably out to 400. Thanks for everyone's advice, I still havent made up my mind yet haha. Sounds like the 130 gr TTSX might be the way to go for peace of mind, but if I was confident that the 117 Hammers would kill an oryx no problem then I'd probably go that route so I'd have a flatter-shooting bullet when I deer hunt.

Hoghead

WKR
I use maker bullets on hogs all the time. I shoot a 50 cal lever action. I called Paul and told him what I was doing and the velocity and range. he custom made me bullets and was cheaper than anyone else.
He sent me 5 to load and check for col and feeding I told him they were a little to long. He moved the canalure and sent me 5 more they were perfec. I then placed my order. Called a week or 2 later to ask how much and how long he said they should be there tomorrow. I was surprised that he trusted me that much by just talking to him on the phone. I paid him right then great guy. I just ordered some 25 cal and more 50 cal. For me with that kind of service and bullet performance I won't use anything else.
31d9b162c293a507cd145de5804e9956.jpg
5728b393fa1ebf016dced8dcc9972ad0.jpg
d16c8ff8fdb7d034d9a9d796c9476a4e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Elkero

FNG
We have good success with two oryx both of them taken with 180 gr Barnes TSX, although out of a 300 WM. Oryx are tough animals and I would say tougher than elk to put down. Practice far shots, 350 yds plus. Congrats on the draw, great tasting game meat!!

Especially if you're looking for plenty of penetration, a copper bullet like a tsx or ttsx will be your friend. Every one I've used, I've only found clean jellied lungs. The only downside is likely some blood shot meat if the impact velocity is still pretty high. Hardly any when impact is around 2600 or less.