Thinking OTC Archery Elk Hunt this year?

Deast1988

FNG
Go for it,
Get in shape,

find a tag,

boots on the ground, escout

get after it,

I’m doin it this year, been working on the logistics but I’m looking all over for info

The posts about commitment are silly, you can't tell my commitment by a feeler post.

Yes you can. You can gather more info than you will ever need to elk hunt on this forum and never have to post a question. Post like this come off as lazy right from the start.

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
Probably archery. Backcountry camp.

I don't mind waiting a year. Still looking into Oregon.
There are a lot of posts on here regarding what is needed to do a backcountry archery camp around the forum, with a lot of good info. Just do some searching for key words and you’ll find what you’re looking for. You can get a lot of the gear in the classifieds here as well. I was in the same boat as you last year, so I know it’s a lot to tackle. Get out and do it though whatever you decide on.

OP
S

sjcavy

FNG
Will do, thank you for the response. I've slept in my truck more than once on a few hunts. This time I really want to start looking into the back country stuff. Like I said above, just starting the journey.

Gerbdog

WKR
Will do, thank you for the response. I've slept in my truck more than once on a few hunts. This time I really want to start looking into the back country stuff. Like I said above, just starting the journey.
Dont count out that truck camping just yet, especially on your first go round, you will want to be mobile until you find elk. Getting back 8 miles and finding 5 other hunting camps and zero elk for miles around sucks. Truck camping also requires a whole heck of a lot less gear. I have some back country hunting spots but man... i'll tell you what... i sure do sleep a lot better on a mattress in the back of my truck at my truck hunting locations... wake up refreshed and ready to walk up mountains.

OP
S

sjcavy

FNG
That happened the last time I hunted in WI. Chose to go public land that year, and walked up on two different campsites. I had a lot of experience in the area, but had not realized people we starting to reach out further in the woods. A little bummed, but I turned it into a success story. Helped a younger hunter onto a good buck.

Vandy321

WKR
Definitely Oregon.

If I was living in the south, my time and money would be (and had been in the past) spent on a duck boat, building blinds, or finding a quality lease. Being able to waterfowl from Sept - Jan in the south is an awesome way to spend the fall...although ducks do tend to taste like a$$ compared to elk.

Gerbdog

WKR
That happened the last time I hunted in WI. Chose to go public land that year, and walked up on two different campsites. I had a lot of experience in the area, but had not realized people we starting to reach out further in the woods. A little bummed, but I turned it into a success story. Helped a younger hunter onto a good buck.
Nice! good on you for helping out. As just about anyone around here will tell you when it comes to hunting OTC units... there is no such thing as "go deeper to get away from hunters". I took my elk last year above a trailhead, no joke, walked straight up the mountain. I cant count how many hunters i welcome and talked to headed 8-miles back to hunt elk the day before season opened. There were so many trucks and horse trailers parked there they were parking down the road because the 20+ vehicle limit in the parking area had filled. All those people werent hunting with me so they all headed down the trail....

Start doing your homework for next year. If you want to hunt Idaho, NR tags go on sale in December and have been selling out rather fast. Conditioning sounds like it won't be an issue. Get into some podcasts and get on the phone with biologists in the area that you are interested in. Best o' luck out there.