Thinking out side the Box

After reading a few post about draw odds I got to thinking that more than likely I will never have these so called dream hunts. Which sucks but it is what it is. I will still put in and hope for a great tag in some states. Others I will just pick up a OTC or easy tag to draw. No matter what I will be hunting.

But what got me thinking is would it be close to the same hunting with a camera instead of a rifle/bow. Lets take 4th season unit 44 Colorado. Probably will never come close to getting this tag. But what I have read its a great experience. So lets say instead of drawing the tag I just show up during the hunt dates with a camera and goal of getting a photo of a trophy/190 plus buck. I have all the gear, love to be out in mountains and love hunting seeing big deer. Of course not all the experiences will be there as if I had a tag. But could it come close.
Lets say the same thing about a true high country mule deer. Might be years until I get that tag. Would it be close to the same to put a stock on a huge velvet buck and get with in bow range but take a pic instead.

I just know there are so many great tags/hunts that I will never have a tag for: Goats, rams, moose ect... but still want that feeling and experience of hunting that animal. So many top units I will never step foot in if I wait for a tag.

Like I said I will still be hunting OTC units and trying to draw tags but if I can swing a extra week or so a few times would it be worth it to just bring the camera and kind of hunt that way

Thanks

Considering how much some people (myself included sometimes) complain about hunting pressure, I would not do this during the season dates as a courtesy to other hunters. The animals will not know that you have a camera instead of a weapon and it will be pressure all the same. Outside of that thought have a blast! Wildlife photography can be addicting.

lif

WKR
As mentioned above. I wouldn’t do it during season. I do this exact thing every year in my somewhat local area with good accessibility for rut activity. But I wait until the hunting season ends before going. It is worth the effort in my opinion. We have a blast taking pics of big bucks.

Beendare

WKR
Plenty of folks in Unit 9 in AZ archery elk season doing what you propose....at least there were the last time I was there. Calling elk with their young kids, screwing around with those elk in the rut.

Add to that^...in U9 you get big groups of guys with only one guy actually having the tag.

Had this radical idea to do overseas hunts and not take the heads back if you had to use a dip and pack type of service.

It's garish anyways to have a bunch of heads all over the house.

Take a really good picture of the animal after the kill, get it framed and call it good. Use all the money you've saved on taxidermy fees and shipping to do another hunt.

Or shoot it and buy really similar head from an importer here in the states for like 100$

It sounds like a cool idea to get the experiences but like others have said, it's probably best to wait unit after season. Imagine you did finally get that Missouri River breaks sheep tag and your about to squeeze the trigger on a b&c ram and some dude with a camera scares that sheep off. That fella is not going to be very pleased and holding a gun in his hand

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Plenty of folks in Unit 9 in AZ archery elk season doing what you propose....at least there were the last time I was there. Calling elk with their young kids, screwing around with those elk in the rut.

Add to that^...in U9 you get big groups of guys with only one guy actually having the tag.

This idea definitely has the potential for issues. Tread lightly and for heavens sake don't turn it into Utah. The dumbest trophy photos in the world with one tag holder and 28 spotters/family/friends. Throw in complaining about small 340" bulls and Utah is just a great place to avoid, especially with microscopic draw odds.

cnelk

WKR
It would be even cooler if your camera has a range finder option so you could show how close you actually got, instead of using zoom lenses.

OP
M
There is a lot to consider
1. I would not really want to turn it into a large group thing. Either solo or just with another person.
2. I would hope and try not to ruin anyone's hunt. Hopefully if I ran into someone I could help them on there hunt. I would never try and out do someone with a tag.
3. I want to do it during or close to the season to get a better experience of what hunting would have been.
4. What would be the satisfaction level of just using a camera

Probably the easiest way to test this would be to do a high country camera hunt in August. Would probably not mess with anyone's hunt to much and still give me opportunities to actually hunt during regular seasons.

I will have to start researching classic/must do high country hunts for each state and pick one to try next summer.

OP
M
I know its not necessary close to the same thing. But the reality is that it might be as close as some us will ever get to experiencing these once in a lifetime units. I don't see tag numbers getting any better. I would still hunt OTC just want to see up close a 380 bull during the rut in some of the greatest areas of the West.

Foldem

WKR
If you're going to stalk to bow range of a big velvet muley in CO might as well have a tag. Easy draws for most areas with archery gear.

Virginian

Lil-Rokslider
I'd rather be waterboarded than stalk into bow range to take a photo. To each his own but I could only imagine the torture would be similar. Plus you can't eat photos....well it's not advisable

OP
M
I am going to keep hunting OTC tags and easy to draw areas. This more about experiencing a hunt that I will probably never have enough points or money to do. For example yes I could buy a OCT archery tag and chase more than likely sub 300 bulls. It would be a blast and a great time tagging one. But I will probably never have the points to get into a unit with 350-380 bulls. Just not going to happen with point creep. So why not take a week and just so up with a camera and experience the rut in its fullest. I would think it would be great to by out there and if I can get into camera range and get a great photo maybe it would ok. Never going to be the same as pulling the trigger but maybe enough to experience some once in a lifetime units.

Only thing that would suck would be to ruin someones hunt.

It would be like a glorified scouting trip.