Thinnest Merino Socks (Crispi Shrinkage)

OP
coloyooper
just so you are aware; your shoe size will change over time (not overnight) and it changes for larger

used to be a 9.5 in my 20's, now a solid 11 in my mid- 60's :D

For my tall Schnee's pacs that are a little tight, I use Smartwool their OTC zero cushion merino socks- thin as a dress sock, but merino- I think they have shorter zero cushion varieties if OTC is too tall
This is two different sets of boots, two different sizes. A pair of 12s now fitting like 11.5s and 12.5s fitting more like 12s, while a 3rd pair of 12.5s still fitting like the day I bought them.

OP
coloyooper
It’s really my own fault for continuing to buy Crispi but I thought maybe it was a fluke with the Nevada’s, since the Wild Rocks still fit great. Very weird but I doubt I’ll ever buy Crispi again.

go_deep

WKR
It’s really my own fault for continuing to buy Crispi but I thought maybe it was a fluke with the Nevada’s, since the Wild Rocks still fit great. Very weird but I doubt I’ll ever buy Crispi again.

Have you treated them often?
Fast dried then a lot, in front of a fire or wood stove?
I've got one pair of Crispi boots that are 4 or 5 years old that I wear a lot with no issues.

OP
coloyooper
I've got one pair of Crispi boots that are 4 or 5 years old that I wear a lot with no issues.
Never heat dry them, and apply treatment often.

I spoke to Crispi and it sounds like this is not uncommon. Their recommendation is to soak the boots, put on two pair of thick socks and wear them around all day to basically stretch them back out, applying the cream throughout the day as well.

OP
coloyooper
Weird that they shrink. Has anybody talked to crispi? Only issue I’ve had with shrinking boots it gettin them too close to the fire.
Spoke with them. Doesn’t sound extremely uncommon for them. Going to give their recommended fix a try and see how it goes.

ljalberta

WKR
Spoke with them. Doesn’t sound extremely uncommon for them. Going to give their recommended fix a try and see how it goes.
Can you share what their recommended fix was? My Colorado’s have shrunk a chunk as well.

I’m debating going with a half size bigger on the next pair, or in the same size, but a wide model.

OP
coloyooper
Can you share what their recommended fix was? My Colorado’s have shrunk a chunk as well.

I’m debating going with a half size bigger on the next pair, or in the same size, but a wide model.
Well, bad news is they don’t really have an answer for the synthetics. He told me I’ll have decent luck with the leathers though. Recommendation: get the boots wet, put on a couple pair of thick socks and walk around in them on flat ground for a day while they fry out, and that should help hold the form. With the leathers they recommend the same thing but applying their treatment cream throughout the day as well to hold in as much moisture as possible to help keep the shape.

He did tell me if this didn’t work to call back and “they’ll help me out.” So we will see.

go_deep

WKR
Well, bad news is they don’t really have an answer for the synthetics. He told me I’ll have decent luck with the leathers though. Recommendation: get the boots wet, put on a couple pair of thick socks and walk around in them on flat ground for a day while they fry out, and that should help hold the form. With the leathers they recommend the same thing but applying their treatment cream throughout the day as well to hold in as much moisture as possible to help keep the shape.

He did tell me if this didn’t work to call back and “they’ll help me out.” So we will see.

I'd call them back in 2 weeks, didn't work, how can you help me out?

Nailed it. Boots don't just "shrink" but if you fail to properly care for them, the leather will dry out. Annual conditioning and waterproofing to keep the leather pliable is the solution. If your boots are soaked thru...that's the problem, right there. Don't blame the bootmaker. Leather is leather. Buy some two-way boot stretcher, give em a proper cleaning and conditioning and place the stretcher in for a week. Should be fine.

ljalberta

WKR
Nailed it. Boots don't just "shrink" but if you fail to properly care for them, the leather will dry out. Annual conditioning and waterproofing to keep the leather pliable is the solution. If your boots are soaked thru...that's the problem, right there. Don't blame the bootmaker. Leather is leather. Buy some two-way boot stretcher, give em a proper cleaning and conditioning and place the stretcher in for a week. Should be fine.

As it applies to the Colorado’s. Treated multiple times per year. I have a brand new pair in the exact same size and the difference is significant. If they can’t handle a week or two of use without treatment, then I’m not convinced a boot is built for mountain hunters. I have used boots from Kennetrek, Salomon, Scarpa and Zamberlan in recent years. The Crispis have shrinkage significantly beyond what the others have.

That being said, besides the shrinkage issue, I am a huge fan of the Colorado’s. I’ll be reaching out to Crispi as well to see if there’s any opportunity for assistance.

OP
coloyooper
As it applies to the Colorado’s. Treated multiple times per year. I have a brand new pair in the exact same size and the difference is significant. If they can’t handle a week or two of use without treatment, then I’m not convinced a boot is built for mountain hunters. I have used boots from Kennetrek, Salomon, Scarpa and Zamberlan in recent years. The Crispis have shrinkage significantly beyond what the others have.

That being said, besides the shrinkage issue, I am a huge fan of the Colorado’s. I’ll be reaching out to Crispi as well to see if there’s any opportunity for assistance.
Exactly this. Love the boot but I’ve never had this type of issue with any other brand. I’ll try to fix them, if not, I’ll reach back out and see if they can help.

ElfOR

FNG
Two of 3 pairs of crispi’s I’ve owned have shrunk a full half size. Fool me once, yadda yadda. But I think I can get away with one of my pairs still fitting decently with extremely thin socks. I’m very partial to darn tough but don’t know if they make a super thin line? Both my Colorado’s and Nevada’s have shrunk on me- the Nevada’s are almost unwearable. My wild rocks are still all good (mostly). I’ve seen others post about this in the past so I know it’s not just me. Anyway, anybody have a recommendation for thin merino socks that hold up to wear?

Also- any recommendations on new boot companies for the future? 😉
I found some very thin smartwool socks that lasted me years. Scheels, Cabelas etc have a huge amount of socks...

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
Worst thing I’ve ever done…

Past summer while on camping trip, threw my Colorados in back of the pickup(it was 100*+ all week). They sat there and cooked all week. Unfortunately, I think it cooked damn near a 1/2 size outta them. Have to wear a light Darn Tough sock in order to fit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

go_deep

WKR
Worst thing I’ve ever done…

Past summer while on camping trip, threw my Colorados in back of the pickup(it was 100*+ all week). They sat there and cooked all week. Unfortunately, I think it cooked damn near a 1/2 size outta them. Have to wear a light Darn Tough sock in order to fit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Boot cobbler, stretch them back out.