Third season CO, to camp or not

So a buddy and I are hunting third season CO and are split on accommodations ideas. I vote for staying under a roof, one with a hot shower; he (unwisely) wants to camp. My feeling is I want to hunt hard and not worry about staying warm, his point is we could buy a tent with a stove for the price of a week in a motel or vrbo. I’m sure this has been debated by other members and hunting partners. Where does everyone fall and how’d the debate go?
cheers

I am for coming out each night due to the fact that the night is cold and long. November 7 is the daylight savings time and you’ll fall back an hour so it gets dark earlier. Sitting in a tent from 1700 to 0800 sucks, regardless if you have a stove or not. To me, a stove is an added chore I would rather not deal with.

Following.

I will be there the same time and we have decided to stay in a tent. Be curious to see peoples opinion on how stupid of an idea this is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live fairly close to where I hunt in Colorado so I come home at night. I’ll have a tag for second season, but I’m helping a buddy during third season and we are camping. Its going to be cold and dark.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
is there lodging relatively close by? a tent with a hot stove is a step up over a tent without one, but a far cry from a motel room with a real bed, a way to dry wet clothing and a hot shower :D

I say if lodging is an hour or under from the where you're hunting, go motel. The driving time is at least somewhat mitigated by the time of processing wood, getting a fire started and other camp chores.

CoStick

WKR
I use an Airbnb 1st season as I hunt with my father in law and he is getting older. I think it helps us hunt longer, we bring lunch and stay out hunting the whole day with no “camp” to head back to.

Northpark

WKR
We are staying in my wall tent. Cots, warm blankets, wood stove, chairs, camp stove, lanterns. A couple people plan on getting a hotel room for one night halfway through the week to get a shower. Me being used to backpack hunts already feel like the wall tent is cheating.

Here’s the way you do this though. I will be there 3 days before the season starts. Will have a small chainsaw with me and an ax, and will cut firewood for the week, do some scouting (mostly to see where everyone else is hunting so I can use them to drive the elk into my lap) and generally get camp put together so that come opening day I’ll we have to do is hunt.

mcr-85

WKR
I am for coming out each night due to the fact that the night is cold and long. November 7 is the daylight savings time and you’ll fall back an hour so it gets dark earlier. Sitting in a tent from 1700 to 0800 sucks, regardless if you have a stove or not. To me, a stove is an added chore I would rather not deal with.
But it gets light an hour earlier right? You will spend the same amount of time in the dark, no matter what time the clock says it is.

We've always used a wall tent or springbar tent on 3rd season.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

rclouse79

WKR
I have been debating if I should use my cimmaron and stove or truck camp with my son. I don’t know what kind of rig you have, but I feel like I perfected the back of my suburban into a perfect little rv this year. I camp out in the field sometimes for fun but am pretty comfortable in the back of my rig. I have watched some YouTube videos where guys seem like they are getting minimal sleep each night after driving to and from where they are staying. I would rather camp out in the field or at the trailhead and sleep for longer. If you aren’t looking forward to the long night in the tent try to hunt hard enough from sun up to sun down that 12 hours in the sleeping bag sounds nice. An 8 man tipi with a stove is pretty stinking luxurious, but I bet you would have to pick one up used at this point.

sacox31s

FNG
I’d rent a wall tent, stove, and cots in Denver for the week. I’d do this if it’s mostly about the money.

OP
Sierra Hunter
Following.

I will be there the same time and we have decided to stay in a tent. Be curious to see peoples opinion on how stupid of an idea this is

I was on the fence about it until by buddys I was hunting with over the weekend started laughing at the idea.

I opted for a 4 season tent instead of a tipi/stove. I figured I would rather have the added heat retention of a 4 season tent with two walls, versus a tipi once the stove burns out in the middle of the night. I might regret that once all my gloves and socks are wet.

I'd vote for camping...step out of the tent & start hunting. Embrace the suck!

Seriously though, 3rd rifle could be brutal conditions, especially at high elevations. It takes a lot of gear to be relatively comfortable (and safe) for a week. With heavy snow & subzero temps just keeping water liquid & gear working can be a challenge. If you're thinking of camping deep then you really need livestock to pack all that gear in & out. And potentially 400+ pounds of meat & 2 heads.

My group camped last year 2nd rifle & it went from bluebird 60deg on day one to 18" snow, high winds & 15 below on night 3. We were prepared though & it was an awesome adventure. We were in a canvas bell tent with a stove

IdahoElk

WKR
My decision would be based on how long it takes to get to the hunting area at prime time. Say you're in a nice comfy hotel but it takes 2hrs to get to your spot by first light, add another 2hrs coming out after dark, you just eliminated +/- 4hrs of sleep or rest time to your day.
I'd rather deal with the elements since us Roksliders have the best gear, have a spike camp and be right on the game and enjoy the extra sleep/rest time.