Third season CO, to camp or not

sacox31s

FNG
I've used this company before for wall tent rentals. Reasonable prices and convienient.
Just reverse your truck up to the loading dock, and they'll load you tent, stove, cots, or whatever you rent.
They are located near downtown Denver.

No disrespect, but I just don't get the "hunt from the hotel, vrbo". Elk hunting in most cases is not a comfort sport. Cold and wet is the rule. If you want to be successful, you have to move out of your comfort zone. Our spot would require an eight mile round trip everyday to hotel hunt....not happening for 99.9% of hunters. A lightweight tent and warm sleeping bag are a must. That combination has literally put us in the middle of herds for the past 8 years. We have been successful way more than the stats say we should. After our first leg packing, then we go to a hotel. The hunters there are always nice but rarely have full coolers. It comes down to the experience you want. Some guys really like sipping whiskey in the comfort of a warm room. I like sipping it after hauling an elk out. Have fun out there!!

Screenshot_20211004-193310_Photos.jpg

tdhanses

WKR
I can’t imagine staying in a hotel etc, your hunting not on vacation with the family. Skip showers for a week, being toasty warm 100% of the night and embrace the hunt, I enjoy 3rd season hunting even though I mainly hunt in Sep but I would of traded the heat and dry weather of Sep this year for some 10* snowy 3rd season weather in a heart beat. Just don’t go out there with a 50* sleeping bag and walmart tent.

Also by the time you are back to camp, get reorganized for the next day and eat you’ll be ready to hop in your sleeping bag.

CoStick

WKR
Once you use a stove or a heater in the tent you may as well be in a camper or a hotel. That being said 3rd season is now when 4th has historically been, worth keeping that in mind.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
If you have never camped in cold weather you may not want to try it for the whole week for your first time. Not having the right gear to stay warm at night and waking up shivering cold multiple times is no fun and will ruin your hunt.(I know from bad experiences)

That being said I would always camp but I have a good system for staying warm after some hard learned lessons.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The 2000s had 4 record setting October’s. The 90s had just one. This might be a case of “back in my day….”
I guess it's also relative to your actual location versus some average for the entire country or state. I look at those so-called records in the 2000's and locally they aren't even a blip on my memory. The last snowy winter (overall) that I remember locally is 2006/2007. All the others aren't even worth mentioning.

For perspective, your chart shows 1984 with 13.1 inches. During the 1984 Snow Bowl storm during first rifle we had snow up to my crotch in hunting camp. I have a 38" inseam. That wasn't drifts that was the level snow. I don't remember many rifle seasons in the 80's and 90's where we weren't pushing snow with the bumpers on the trucks. The rifle seasons I hunted in the early 2000's were all warmer and drier than we ever had "back in the day".........except for 1992. 1992 was HOT, sunny, and dry as a bone. First rifle in 1990 was cold as heck with plenty of snow. My thermometer froze and stuck at -15.

It all just depends on where you are at. In 2006 the Flat Tops got 3 feet of snow the third week of September, but you would have been hard pressed to find much snow most other places nearby.

Poser

WKR
I guess it's also relative to your actual location versus some average for the entire country or state. I look at those so-called records in the 2000's and locally they aren't even a blip on my memory. The last snowy winter (overall) that I remember locally is 2006/2007. All the others aren't even worth mentioning.

For perspective, your chart shows 1984 with 13.1 inches. During the 1984 Snow Bowl storm during first rifle we had snow up to my crotch in hunting camp. I have a 38" inseam. That wasn't drifts that was the level snow. I don't remember many rifle seasons in the 80's and 90's where we weren't pushing snow with the bumpers on the trucks. The rifle seasons I hunted in the early 2000's were all warmer and drier than we ever had "back in the day".........except for 1992. 1992 was HOT, sunny, and dry as a bone. First rifle in 1990 was cold as heck with plenty of snow. My thermometer froze and stuck at -15.

It all just depends on where you are at. In 2006 the Flat Tops got 3 feet of snow the third week of September, but you would have been hard pressed to find much snow most other places nearby.

Sure there are going to be differentials between different areas of the state, somewhat dependent on El Niño/La Niña status and Norther CO getting snow vs Southern CO, but the statement was “back in the 90s when it used to snow.”

I camp even though I live 1.5 hr away from where I elk hunt third season. I use a regular tent and an EZ up shelter- preferably pitched under some tree branches for added protection against snowfall. A couple insulating pads and a good zero* bag + another to pull up over my face. Havent built a fire last few hrs due to restrictions or just too tired to watch it die before turning in for the night. Biggest problem is keeping water and fresh food from freezing. I keep all that inside a cooler in the jeep.

Walk out of camp to hunt. I wouldn't do it any other way but that it just me. I love seeing the stars while I have a nightcap!

Bearsears

WKR
We do a bit of a hybrid in the late seasons. We bring a hard sided camper that is winterized and park it in a location that is close to our hunting area but is easy to get it out if it snows really bad. Then we pack in with a Redcliff and stove. We will usually hunt for 4 days and then we either have meat to pack, or its time to move spots. We then pack out and spend a night in the camper. We shower with hot water poured into a solar shower. I pour a little rv antifreeze into the holding tanks to keep the valves from freezing. Then the next day we will pack back in to a different spot. I like this approach so far. We can recharge in a warm camper if need be but we are also pretty mobile.

I used to hunt with a party that did wall tents. They were nice once setup but man they were alot of work. The newer backpackable tipis with stoves are awesome and alot less work. With a few guys they are setup with plenty of wood in no time. Usually two guys will setup the tent while another starts gathering wood. Then one of the two will go help with wood while the third sets the stove up.

I find that if my camp is close to where Im hunting late season I hunt harder and stay out longer. I also seem to get less depleted when I dont have to put on so many hiking and driving miles and I can sleep longer. Our setup works great but it definitely took years to get all the gear together and dialed in so we are comfortable.

If you can reasonably get to a hotel and still be able to hunt hard, I'd go with the hotel. Hot showers, heat, TV, and a comfortable bed are pretty nice compared to the alternative. And if it's just 2 of you, it's a lot of work and gear to bring to set up camp. I'd rather get up an hour earlier every day to drive back to your hunting spot then freeze your ass off.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Sure there are going to be differentials between different areas of the state, somewhat dependent on El Niño/La Niña status and Norther CO getting snow vs Southern CO, but the statement was “back in the 90s when it used to snow.”
I guess he should have said "back in the 90's when it used to snow during hunting season in our hunting areas". (y)

Invest in the Future. If your gonna hunt one season and bail, go to the hotel.

There is no better advantage than being in the moment at the place you want to be. It may take some work and planning, but it's far more fun and part of earning success. Having a camp in the field expands your options exponentially. A hotel limits me = personally = every time.

I have hunted this years 3rd season (previously 4th) for 10 years straight around gunnison. So, F'n cold.
Base camp -Wall tent, stove, truck with a topper for support if it really dumps or the wind is crazy. Lived through 3' dumps with zero issues. We also drive our firewood in. Cut to fit. So much less work. Everything else is basically normal compared to any other season camp that I run. Which is usually a hot tent for me and bivy were the elk are. Wake up and shoot out of the tent! Just kidding on the last part, except is actually happened once.

Sometimes I have slide in camper (hotel on wheels) in good forecast years (NO snow/cold temps). Cause all four chained and pushing snow up iced mud hills, next to a creek cliff is the scariest thing ever with that much weight. Always made it out with the slide in, but..... a wall tent is so much better to hang out in during a storm in my humble opinion.

Give'r hell

Last edited:
This thread will help a ton if you plan to make it a go.