Third season CO, to camp or not

davsco

WKR
back in '18 first rifle, my first elk hunt, we stayed at a motel about 1.5-2 hours from where we parked to hike in, nowhere to stay really closer. it was pretty brutal, getting up that much earlier every day and getting back that much later. and if a buncha snow had hit, the roads might have been closed or impassable. of course as cold as it friggin was, tenting it wouldn't have been an awesome option either, can only imagine everything freezing (water, food, etc) into a huge block of ice. without an RV or the like, doesn't seem like an easy choice either way.

OP
Sierra Hunter
Ya we had things freeze one evening when it hit the high teens, hard to imagine a week in the single digits or colder.

Ca_Mike

FNG
We tent it during the third every year. In a wall tent with a wood stove it’s actually very comfortable. We use 0 degree bags and sleep quite comfortably.

OP
Sierra Hunter
We tent it during the third every year. In a wall tent with a wood stove it’s actually very comfortable. We use 0 degree bags and sleep quite comfortably.
I enjoy the approach and love the idea of a wall tent but typically prefer to be more mobile should hunt plans change for another part of a unit.

In the next few years I am definitely planning on going back out for the 3rd season as I accumulate points. I am locked into a wall tent since my buddies and I went in and bought one. The one thing I definitely will be trying is coal as a heat source to burn overnight. Boy is that not fun getting up frozen to re light a fire!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk