This an opportunity to start a Primer manufacturing company?

I only purchase and shoot them. Simply starting the topic of "Does this open the door for others to get in the game"?

Is it possible for the Smaller guys to start a 100% primer manufacturing plant?

Lol well starting a primer company is probably cheaper but I checked into opening a 5 guys burgers, well you had to already be rich had to have about 5 mil.

So buy the time you buy a shop, tool up, get atf approval and higher a bunch of crack heads cause those are the only people willing to work for a broke guy.
The boom will probably be over 🤣

WCB

WKR
Primers are a whole other ball of wax vs ammunition manufacturing. There is a reason there are only 4 major manufacturers in the US (Federal, CCI, Winchester, Remington) 3 of those now under one corporate entity. Realistically "smaller guys" getting into the game would no doubt put their primers into their own loaded ammunition first...Hornady barely makes any primers and they are the biggest of the "smaller guys".

Cost is too high for the smaller outfits along with facility, training, and also being able to pay someone enough to run the facility/engineer the primer and process. Buying components or primers then making the rest of components and loading them is pretty low risk safety wise compared to primers. One minor screw up and your facility is gone and anybody in the immediate vicinity is gone.

Couple that with the fact that if they are not into the process now it will take years to come to market and primers are not a really a money maker....I'm going to say no.

It'd be faster to allow imported primers, and that takes into account the political setting for at least the next 4 years.

I think rather than getting in the primer manufacturing game, a small company would be more likely to succeed if they invented a better way to set off gunpowder or to propel a bullet.

I hear primers are a 40% loss every batch
Making them the hardest part of ammunition process

RS3579

WKR
Lol well starting a primer company is probably cheaper but I checked into opening a 5 guys burgers, well you had to already be rich had to have about 5 mil.

So buy the time you buy a shop, tool up, get atf approval and higher a bunch of crack heads cause those are the only people willing to work for a broke guy.
The boom will probably be over 🤣
I liked 5 guys up one day also. I told a NFL family friend to start a 5 guys in my area. He’s the only one I know that has the $. They are excellent burgers.

Wrench

WKR
I bought a punch press from a guy who made watch batteries for hearing aids. The machine pounded out 4 battery bodies every second. The tooling on the cups and anvils would be easy....but the mix recipe would be a a little hocus pocus.

Tango1

Lil-Rokslider
WCB's summary is right on. I work in the industry and can confirm that making primers as a stand alone item is a no go. Loose primers for secondary market reloading are a by-product of producing them for your own loaded ammunition needs, hence the current scarcity.

minengr

FNG
From what I was told when sort of in the industry, primers are the nastiest, most toxic, dangerous and difficult part to manufacture for ammunition. Which, as someone that ran the line making 30mm HEI projectiles for the A-10, is saying something.